Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
2009 3000RK or 2980RL

We are still trying to determine which model to order. I called Keystone today and they cannot build either with the Venetial interior - ugh! Emerald Isle might be our choice.

I have a couple of quesions that only current owners can answer....

1. We want to order the double pane windows since we live and stay mostly in Florida. Are the double pane windows also tinted? Anyone in Fl with the standard tinted windows? Are they adequate? Are you kicking yourself for not ordering the double pane glass?

2. Should we order the sofa table? Those of you that have it, do you use it? Does it get in the way in the 3000RK? It seems like a nice table for $150.

3. On the 2980RL...does the larger kitchen counter/cabinet with sink get in the way? Can you see the TV from both easy chairs?

4. If you have a 2980RL, do you wish you had a larger awning.....like on the 3000RK? And a large bay window like on the 3000RK?

Anyone want to email me direct to talk about any of these - bphillips@cfl.rr.com

Any other comments on the two different models? 3000RK vs. 2980RL?

Thanks - Bill

William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Bill - We have a 2006 2980RL and love it. The counter does not get in the way for either chair. Our awning could be larger but is fine for us. The rear window is beautiful. Our only wish, as far as windows go, is to see out of the door side. On that side, there is only one window in the bedroom, a small window in the kitchen and a tall, narrow window at the rear that I can see out of when seated in the recliner but we can not see when someone comes to the door. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I wouldn't trade my 3000RK for any other floor plan. I don't think I would like the sofa table though unless one of the recliners gets thrown out the door. I do wish I had the double pane windows becasue I do a lot of winter camping and they make a big difference.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Bill
I have the 3000RK and neither me or my wife would trade it. Unless you need the extra bed stay with the table, the extention is great and space is no problem. We also like the large window and large awning.
Good Luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
bernieb
Established Member

M.O.C. #7003
We also have the 3000RK and love it and the floor plan. Never had a problem with the rear kitchen and we have been on some rough roads. some say they have had problems with the RK but not us. dual pane windows for sure.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I just came back from Florida on Sunday, I was down there for 10 days and they A/C had no problem with the heat that was already present down there. It did not take long to cool it down and then the fan cycled down to low speed the whole time. As far as the sofa table I would not want it, if you open the bed where is that going to go?? And I also would not trade this for a different plan. Oh and my windows are not double pane.

One thing I do have is the vent pillows I call them that fit up in the vent, they really keep the heat out.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
We have a 3000rk and liked this layout the best. We like the large window as where we park for the winter the coach faces East-West and lets the sun in. The large awning cuts down on the heat buildup. I did turn the table and now can get to kitchen while travelling as well as getting in fridge. If shocks are available as option I would recommend getting them as they sure improve ride and bouncing. No more doors opening and items on floor. WE did look at both the 2980 and 3000 as they were side by side on the dealers lot.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Heres another proud owner of a 2008 3000RK. We love the layout.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
While I can not speak to either model you are looking at as possibilities (we have a 2955RL) having had single panes in previous units...GET THE DOUBLE PANES. Big difference in keeping the cold out in winter and the cool in during the summer.

We ordered the coffee table thinking it was like another one we had previously the base folded flat and the top came off and everything slid under the sleeper couch which was optimal for when there were vistors moving around a lot or when we used the sleeper couch as a sleeper...no trying to hang the thing from the ceiling. Liked/like having a coffee table, but don't like the issue of "where are we going to put it" when we don't want to have it in the middle of things. An annoyance, but managable.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We have a 2006 3000Rk and love it , but we got rid of the kit chairs as they are toooo heavy and cumbersome and also we did not take the recliners as we got ecokones chairs[spelling]in leather with foot stools and a dif table between the chairs, never get a coffee tab as where are you going to put it , in the truck in a rain storm,we added a lot of shelves and dif cabinets if you want to pm me i will send you a list , yes DOUBLE PANE WDS john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Everyne has talked the DW out of the sofa table.....and she is leaning toward the 2980RL. I am sticking to the 3000RK. I love the large window and the larger awning. I also like the idea of two slided instead of three and getting into spaces that limit the width of units. Still dealing with dealers and trying to get the best deal.

A great BIG thank you to all who have responded via email and here in the MOC.....Now how do we get into a local - Fl - MOC group?

...and when we finally place the order....we have to find a really nice used diesel truck....I favor the Dodge or GMC and there seems to be a huge number of used Fords out there.....Hmmmm

Thanks much - Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
To answer your window question...from memory (which is not always correct), I think the double windows do not come with the heavy tint. We do not have the double windows. IMHO, the tint does a better job of keeping the interior cool in the summer than untinted double windows would...we don't go where it's very cold, so I can't address that issue.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
My previous Montana was a 2005 2980RL, I now have the 2008 3400RL, Here are a few things to consider that I did not think about before buying the 2980RL,you can't get to the fridge without moving one of the slide outs,anyone sitting in the back watching the television, and anyone walking around it seemed like they were always blocking the television, as it is behind the table on the wall. Seems like my grandchildren were always in the way, but that is normal.The last thing to consider, and from some not a problem the jackknife couch,not a very good place for anyone to sleep.I would assume they still use the jackknife couch, there is not enough room between it and the kitchen counter for a hide-a-bed couch ???. Those are some of the things that got me looking for a different floor plan. The fridge being in the front instead of the back,entertainment center being in the rear instead of the front makes a big difference. I am by no means knocking the 2980RL a great RV, but like all floor plans they have there draw backs.I wish someone would have pointed these things out to me.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote