Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
srandall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7605
Filling Your Propane Tank

We have never filled our propane tanks yet and seem to not know if we just take them out and have them filled anywhere or have to leave them in and drag the 5th wheel to the RV store

We have the split bottle system

srandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good question. First, do you need propane? Look at the indicator on the tank, usually on the curbside. If it is still green and you haven't switched the lever, you're OK. If it is red, now, or anytime, switch the lever to point to the other tank (should change to green). Now, turn off the tank valve on the empty tank, remove the empty tank supply hose, and take the tank to a propane refill facility. Put the refilled tank back in its compartment, secure it, re-attach the supply line, and slowly open the valve. When the other tank empties, the indicator will turn red, but the autoswitch will already be pulling from the full tank. Flip the lever towards the full tank, and repeat the process. Good to go!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just pour a cup of hot water on the tank and feel the side. It will be cold at the level of the propane. Turn off the valve and take the tank to be refilled.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ideally they are designed to take out to have filled. Even if you drug the 5th wheel to the store, the attendant would most likely remove them from the coach to fill them.

Just a note to be careful how you transort them. Secure them good and avoid enclosing them in the cab of the truck or a trunk.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
When in doubt, weigh the tank. It is stamped on the tank what they should weigh. I take mine out and transport to the local propane dealer to fill.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
illapah has it right...stamp on tank handle will have a TW (Tare Weight) value which is the "dry" tank weight (no propane). Monty tanks are can safely hold 30 lbs so you just add 30 to the TW value (small adder for filler's nozzle) and that is the full weight. Most refiller's these days don't even look at this value nor use a scale to fill them...as they depend on the float lever to shut off the inlet when the 80% level is achieved. I'm not fond of this blind method of filling...but try to be nice and leave it to the expert unless I feel they are in danger of over-filling my tank.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

I take mine out and transport to the local propane dealer to fill.
Ditto, easier and cheaper.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Unhook the tanks from the straps that hold them in and pick them up. An empty tank is much easier to pick up than a full one. I then turn off both tanks and take out the empty one to be filled.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Transport them with the valves up especially when you have them filled and make sure you keep the valves closed when transporting the empty tanks. Propane expands at a rate of 270 to 1 and you definitely wouldn't want it leaking as a liquid.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
While the auto-change over is a neat thing, I suffer from CRS and have ended the day/night with both tanks empty and the rig getting cold. Therefore, I only keep one tank at a time open. When a tank goes dry, I manually switch to the other tank and get the empty one re-filled. I always have one full tank this way. I also use a Sharpie pen to note the fill date on each tank. By-the-by, I paid $.73 a pound two days ago ($3.42+ gal.) in Holden, Mo. Bob

PS: In answer to your question, remove the tank(s) and take them to the store. As others said, carry them in an open truck and secure them solidly upright.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I made a box to put my tank in while transporting. Some people use a milk or beverage plastic container. I then use a rope and tie it to the eye hook on the back of the truck and the tail gate. It is secure that way. "Always on the side of Caution"
Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have always pulled the tanks out and take them to a propane supplier @ 2.58 per gal compaired to 3.75 or more at a gas station or RV store. No minimum fee either, a lot easier than dragging the Monty around.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
The Fire Guy in me is coming out.... Please use a bit of soapy water on each tank connection to ensure that there are no leaks. Yes even an RV can leak gas and the fire can be very unpleasent.
I carry a small bottle with a spray pump to check mine with.

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a remote indicator that flashes a light in the bedroom when the red flag on the regulator goes up. Thus I don't have to keep checking for that flag. I therefore leave both tanks open. I religiously check for leaks when reconnecting the propane. I have an electronic sniffer but I don't always trust it. I also have a spray bottle with a pump like Doug.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote