Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My 2002 F250 was a 4X2. On at least two occasions I needed help getting off wet grass after a night of rain. Dianna stated that the next truck should have 4X4, so it does. When I got the 2008 F350 with 4X4, I really didn't expect to use it very much. After significant rains in central Texas and our dirt (mud) road, I have used it to traverse the 1/4 mile to pavement, once with the Montana.

Last week a heavy rain covered a culvert and a Tundra had his right front wheel ensconced to the axle. With the 4X4 in low, I eased him out. I hardly noticed he was back there.

While in Ashville, NC, we stayed at a Mountain campground. At the guide's instruction we put it in low 4X4 and cranked up a very steep access road to the site. Needless to say, these experiences have changed my perspective.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #22
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
As a rule, are the 4x4 versions of a truck taller than their 4x2 brother? Its a casula observation I've made, just curious.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #23
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

As a rule, are the 4x4 versions of a truck taller than their 4x2 brother? Its a casula observation I've made, just curious.
yes, absolutely
chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dcpark, there are about three reasons we went with a 4x4.

1. When we are in the Kansas City area in November, and sometimes December, visiting our children and grandchildren, sometimes we have to deal with ice and snow. This is the only vehicle we have to get around with.

2. When traveling, we like to explore backroads and really enjoy those 4x4 and/or high clearance roads that we can do with a stock pickup.

3. We have had times when the 4x4 was necessary to get out of a campsite, or into it. Others can say all they want about not getting into a campsite that could require 4x4 to get out but that's really hard to figure out in advance, sometimes. We had one site where we were on gravel but the approach was grass. And, of course, we got the once in a decade rains. After spinning wheels I slipped it into 4x4 and pulled right out of there. Twice, now, we've pulled over onto a shoulder while towing and then found they'd apparently had a lot of rain. Again, after spinning in two wheel, putting it into 4 wheel got us out of it.

I don't think 4x4 is in any way a requirement in order to two a Montana. It came in handy for us but we have 4x4 for other reasons as delineated above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I've driven 4X4 for years, never been stuck in the snow. However, last summer, slick grass, stuck not once but twice. 4X4 no help at all. Had to get traction under all 6 wheels before I got out of there. Took me over an hour once. I was shocked actually because I had never been stuck in snow. Now this year plan to carry shingle covered 2X8s for traction just in case.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As a rule, are the 4x4 versions of a truck taller than their 4x2 brother? Its a casula observation I've made, just curious."

Yes they are..My 08 4X4 is nearly 3 inches higher than my 05 4X2..same truck configuration
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
My father in-law pulls an SOB (keystone) and he sometimes park in the grass at a friends home and they have a slight uphill yard. When its damp just getting the TV to move is tough and pulling the 5er is almost impossible up the small hill. There are camp sites in Army Corps sites that are not paved and the extra pulling power is really needed.

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote