Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 AM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Forum Moderators and Readers/Posters

Just a question for the forum moderators and readers of this forum. I had a post that had the words tree hugger in it. The phrase was promptly deleted and replaced with a message about flaming. I look today and there are people writing about enviro Nazi's and tree huggers among others. People quoting from the bible etc. I am not giving my opinion whether these are right or wrong or whether they belong on this forum. I am asking why the rules are not applied across the board. Do you build up credits which allow you to say certain things after so many posts? If you do not attend the rallies does this mean you are allowed to say less. If you know someone personally does that give you the ability to post whatever you like? There is as always valuable information in this forum. Always good to read. But in a public forum the rules should be applied across the board or there should be none.

Stepping off soapbox for today.

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You need credits.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well I can tell you this much, Joining the MOC in June 2003, I am not the oldest MOC member but I have the second highest number of post and/or replies. I attended as many MOC rallies that I can including all 3 MOC Fall Rallies in Goshen, IN. Having said that, I have been deleted, edited and scowled more times than I care to remember. So seniority, credits, number of posts, knowing people, attending rallies, etc has nothing to do with it.
Now, having said that, I also have no idea how the decisions for editing or deletion are made or who makes these decisions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not the oldest, either, but some days I feel like it. I also have had some posts edited and have received emails asking me to edit or have a post deleted. It's been a little while so my attempts to be a good boy must be working.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtpocket2

Just a question for the forum moderators and readers of this forum. I had a post that had the words tree hugger in it. The phrase was promptly deleted and replaced with a message about flaming. I look today and there are people writing about enviro Nazi's and tree huggers among others. People quoting from the bible etc. I am not giving my opinion whether these are right or wrong or whether they belong on this forum. I am asking why the rules are not applied across the board. Do you build up credits which allow you to say certain things after so many posts? If you do not attend the rallies does this mean you are allowed to say less. If you know someone personally does that give you the ability to post whatever you like? There is as always valuable information in this forum. Always good to read. But in a public forum the rules should be applied across the board or there should be none.

Stepping off soapbox for today.
Thank you for stepping down from the soapbox. Now it's my turn.

All organizations have rules to abide by and we're no different. The problem is one of consistency. We all are human and as such we are going to do something one way one time and another way at a different time. That is to be expected.

When this forum was established some years ago we were determined to not let it get to the point that some other boards had gotten. On some of those forums you could not post ANY type of message without being "flamed". We really did not want that to happen to our forum. So we started out with a relatively limited range of messages that were allowed. Basically we wanted people to not bad mouth other members and to stay as positive as possible about RVing issues in general and Montana rigs in particular.

Since we started at zero it was easy to deal with things on a consistent basis. Now that we have several thousand members it is a bit more difficult. We have added administrative staff as we've grown but that actually causes some additional concerns. Each staff member has their own set of standards that they bring to the table. Even when we try to make sure everyone is on the same playing field it is difficult. And to make things even more interesting all staff is on a volunteer basis. How do you reprimand someone who has volunteered and expect them to remain helping?

OK... now to your situation. We look for KEY words to alert us to postings that may be out of line. The phrase "tree hugger", enviro nazis, any and all racial and or ethnic words and or phrases, and so on. When we see these sorts of things we watch closely to see what happens. If the offending word or words are severe enough we yank them immediately. If they are just questionable then we watch and discuss among ourselves and take the appropriate action.

Unfortunately we do not catch everything. And sometimes we even are inconsistent in our application of the rules. Shame on us. We will strive to do a better job.

As another member has mentioned:

"So seniority, credits, number of posts, knowing people, attending rallies, etc has nothing to do with it."

We hope you will continue to contribute to the MOC. In spite of its shortcomings it is still one of the best Forums on the INTERNET.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also have been... well, everything that Glen and Steve said... Richfaa may even have been tapped on the shoulder once or twice?

I think the CONTEXT in which these actual physical words are used is more of a gauge. You can really tell when some threads are heating up - sometimes no "flaming" key words are even being used. The admins and mods here all have their hands full. It will probably not get any easier anytime soon...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tapped on the shoulder is being generous Dave. I am the 3rd highest poster right behind Glenn and Steve and probably have the same rank in post edited, deleted and finger shaking. Hey I attend Rallies and have personally met the two highest posters and IT HAS NOT DONE ME ANY GOOD. What's up with that admins... I agree with the way the Admins police the board/. It makes me choose my words carefully while still transmitting my thoughts.(that can be done you know) Tree huggers does not bother me..Helen is one of those. Enviro Nazi's did..enviro is Ok ..I am old enough to remember who these Nazi's were and I do not care for the term at all and was surprised the the Admins did not catch it. I have met the poster who used it and he is not "that kind of Guy" at all..think he just got caught up in "terms' that are used these days.

The question posed by the poster was a good one as was the reply by Rv wheels.. We need those reminders occasionally.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Richfaa, Admins, Moderators, others,
I initally used the e-n phrase since here in the coalfields, we use it to describe environmentalists that have a hidden agenda (I will not explain unless someone PM's me). I deleted the original post and if it offended anyone, I apologize. I will think a little more in the future and try to keep what I feel is localized lingo out of this forum since it is a worldy discussion that is seen world-wide. Anyone who knows my posting history knows that I would never intentionally post anything that offends anyone, it is not what our ultimate authority would allow or condone.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
mtpocket2,

This forum is only as free as the moderators deem it to be.

Welcome to the soapbox. Don't be shy, step up, we need more people like you here to voice their opinions.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I made a mistake Bingo.. I did not think you were the first person to use that phrase. I attributed it to another poster. I understand about local jargon I got into hot water here when I used a local phrase to describe the Amish old world craftsmen ...having lived among them for most of my life and that they use themselves..but not understood outside the "community" In Government the ability to write something so as not to offend anyone but still get your thoughts across was called 'Creative writing" it works...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Daggone it Robby, bug stealer!!!
Ha Ha.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote