Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 AM   #21
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all it is suggested that you never bring the slides in part way. The rubber seals have to flip over completely or they won't seal properly when put back out and you could get leakage.

I have slide toppers and only the living room slide puddles. I made a kinda U shaped thingy out of 3/4" PVC
and slip that under the LR topper at the end by the door. Lorraine and I are both very cognisant of it being there and make sure it is removed before bringing the slide in.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #22
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Maybe I'm just lazy, but why do you have to do anything other than run the slides in to dump the water off? If you're going to clean off the toppers all the time what is the point in having them? I thought the reason for having the toppers would be that you don't have to blow off or sweep off stuff from the top of the slideout whenever you bring it in. If you're going to haul a ladder around and climb up to clean off the slide toppers, why not leave them off altogther and spend the thousand bucks on something else (you could send it to me, I want a new truck!). Anyway, happy camping to all.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #23
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Gallon size plastic water jugs also works.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Instead of beach balls, we used 1 gallon milk containers. The first time we used them, a wind did send them flying. Now we fill them half full of water, screw the cap back on and put them under the slide topper--about 4 in the living room-dining room slide. The awning wand works great to push them in and it hooks on the milk bottle handle to pull them out.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #25
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Has anyone had expeerience with the suggested solutions and snow?
kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #26
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I use a 1" PVC pipe. I have one about 6' long. I put a 90 degree elbow and another 8" piece on that. I took some extra swimming noodle left and put that on the end. I also put a handle on the other end. I place it by the door side of the LR slide and this keeps the water from pooling. The handle reminds me that it is there so it doesn't get rolled up in the slidout. I only put that out when I'm somewhere for a long period of time (which I am for now) and it makes a difference. Also helps with the wind to keep the topper from flapping.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
While there are several things you can do to avoid the pooling, we don't bother. The pooling of water doesn't hurt anything. It just rolls more material off the roller. We had the toppers on our prior Montana for over four years. The sun did more damage to the material than pooling ever did. We have learned, however, for Vicki to warn me before retracting the slides so I can avoid yet another deluge from being in the wrong place when the water pours off the toppers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote