Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
philbon

M.O.C. #7767
slide topper drainage

Is there a good solution to prevent/eliminate the pooling of rainwater in the slide toppers? Especially the living room, which is the largest. Does it do any damage to ignore it until packing up for the next stop?

philbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We don't have the toppers, but I have heard of people putting a small round ball in the middle forcing the water to the edges. Again, we don't have them this is just something I read.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are a few solutions out there,including bungees, beachballs, and some have even made pvc frames. My solution is every morning after a rain, I climb up on the roof and sweep the slide toppers off. Still a little on the young side so it works for me. I don't think it is advisable to leave the pooled water on the topper for extended periods of time due to the water weight and the stretching of the topper material, which in turn will allow for excessive flapping in the windy times. Others may chip in with better ideas.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We did not bother to push the water off, when we had all OEM toppers.

Toppers have a spring in there, keeps tension and all that good stuff, SteveR has a good way to describe it. Don't believe the water sitting there will stretch the fabric, or at least that is my understanding.

Rain will evaperate, etc. We have never used the beach ball trick, didn't I read here where someone did and a big wind came along and that beach ball was a goner?? Blew it down to the other end of the campground or something like that??

Now, that we have one NON-OEM topper, Al has been going up there and brushing off the rain, sometimes. Consistant, eh?? Fabric on the NON-OEM is heavier.

The water will slide off that topper when you close the slides, be wise to stand back or you might get wet. You will only let cold almost frigid water hit you once!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I would be afraid I would not pull them out and then try to bring the slides in. That would be a bummer? But I would think they would work?
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

I watched a lady with a big motor home get covered in water when she took her broom and used it to push up the topper. She wasn't happy with her husband, he was on the ground watching her on the ladder. He had a really big grin on his face and he had to turn his back to her.

Colleen
Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
My RV dealer suggested placing a beach ball underneath the sliders, especially the LR slider.

Someone on this thread did state that they could blow away, which I also asked the dealer. He indicated that the price of a cheap beach ball hasn't gone up much, maybe even decreased and rain is not a constant. The party down the road can have my beach ball, if it works. I have yet to try also, but I will.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Been there, done that!!! Hee, Hee, Hee. I swear it was accidental!!! Hee, Hee, Hee.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen

I got Al!! He was outside unhooking something in the back. I was putting the slides in. Need I say more??

I don't put the slides in now unless I am sure he is clear of them. I don't think his sense of humor would let me douse him again!

While we are on the subject, QUESTION:

When there is water in the toppers, do you put the slides in ALL the way ALL at one time????
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have slide out covers and if they get too full of rain I run mine in part way and they will drain off 99% of the water then return the slide out to fully extended. My particular model doesn't have a real big slide just little ones and they don't generally pool too much water in them. I would get into the habit of getting the water off there though. I don't think it would be wise to leave that kind of weight up on top of the slide out roof.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

I just happened to miss a spot I was trying to rinse on the Monty this spring, before the trip to Tennesse and got Bob wet. Right before my slip he mentioned that I had missed a spot. I really was thinking he meant the spot on his nose hee hee

Colleen
Old 10-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We went the pvc route last winter on our Jayco and it had a 155 inch slide. The pvc worked great and cost me about10 bucks. Forgetting to remove it when pulling in the slide never happened, after all it was only one slide. But now with the new BS I may try if not a beach ball maybe a B-ball or better yet a dodge ball or even two dodge balls. Then we could play when it is nice and store the balls under the slide toppers when it rains, yeah, that's the ticket! I did see one rig with what looked like inflatable tubes. Long hot dog shaped inflatables about 10 inches thick or so they worked well too. As I said the pvc worked well on ONE slide, it would be a major pain to rig it over 4 slides and have to remember to pull all of them down when packing, also a storage nightmare... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I have toppers on all 3 slides. Never put anything under them, don't worry about rain on them. When I close them up I watch the water run off (along with any leaves). When I get home if its dry I open them up so they can dry out. After they are dry I shut them. Just thought I'd pass my routine along.-)
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron,

How much water do you think could be up there on a long slide?? 20 gallons?? That would be what, 160 pounds? That would not be a problem, according to people at the factory tour, a good sized man can stand on that slide TOP and not be a problem.

Or, are my math and logic off this A.M.??
Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If you do use the beach ball approach, the key is to get them large enough so they do not move around easily under the covers. I have donated a few of the "play balls" bought from CVS pharmacies to some of the CG children on windy days, but they were smooth surfaces and probably not quite large enough. Good news is that they are cheap.

My only reason for keeping the water off the slide toppers is that if you are parked long term, staining will occur.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 AM   #16
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I used a volly ball,put it in HD black leaf bag, tapped it to a golf retreaver,you can push to the middle,and pull it out when you leave,Still a little water.
I also tried the PVC pipe, works good but you have to place it just right.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #17
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Do you get wind flap on the toppers? Does the beach ball reduce that also?
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Carol, I bet you are right it isn't as much weight as I think. I wouldn't think it would hold more than 20 gallons.

MacDR50, I hear some flap with the wind but nothing that bothers me. I really like the fact that during a rainy night the toppers deaden some of the rain drops hitting the roof and makes it easier to sleep thru a shower.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #19
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
The only problem we've had with not dumping the water off the slider topper is that any dirt, leaves or other tree particles, insects, etc. have a tendency to stick to the topper and get rolled up inside when you bring the slider in. Then you have a mess on the bottom of the slider topper as well as on the top side. If the water has evaporated it makes it much more difficult to remove and clean than if done when the water is still up there. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #20
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I use 2 soft white boat fenders they fit just right I leave a line attached so they are easy to retrive
bob is offline   Reply With Quote