Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Winnegard Satellite Receiver Question

We're in the market for an automatic Satellite receiver and Winnegard has two models. One is for stationary reception and the other is for "in motion" reception. Other than for the obvious reason of being able to watch TV driving down the road, is there another reason to buy the "in-motion" model. I'm wondering if the "in-motion" model will stay "connected" or spot on the satellite better while the fiver is stationary?

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My stationary sat dish stays on signal when we are parked just fine. When we arrive, we turn the green power button on, in a few minutes it aquires, then I turn the power off.
I don't think there is any other reason to have the in motion, except, as you stated, the obvious.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Ozz, what about the Line of Sight (LOS)? Do you have to be extremely cautious of where you park (under trees, obstructions, etc.) or is your unit pretty "forgiving"?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have been fortunate in that the only place we have not been able to get a signal was in Manitou Springs Colorado. BUT, the people with a portable unit couldn't get one either, (unless they strung the cable and antenna into a traffic lane)
I have a portable dish, but stopped carrying it because we just haven't needed it.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Virgil,

Save your money and just get the stationary. If you decide to install the antenna on a vehicle in motion in the future, you can upgrade to the in-motion version by adding the GPS module (at least on the Road-Trip model).

Ozz,

I thought the power had to be on to enable it to toggle between satellites based on the channel you select?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wellll, my Direct sat dish must not have many sat's because it works as is. My home dish is a rigid mount as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

The home dish is elliptical, so it can see 2 satellites at once. The rooftops can only see one -

Quote from your MovinView Manual:

The MV3500A will toggle between the primary and
seconday satellites for either DISH Network or
DIRECTV. Both have programming on more than
one satelite. When a channel is selected on the
remote control and is not on the satellite currently
selected, the unit will automatically toggle
to the correct satellite.

Thats why I wondered if it could still toggle if you shut off power. Haven't finished installing our Roadtrip yet, but the manual says the same.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Aha! As usual, Brad has his finger on the pulse of information, but my rooftop dish is epileptic as well.
It doesn't need to move, it may toggle, but it must be an internal toggle.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Jaelyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #619
I was wondering how difficult it would to be to install a satellite on a Montana? Where would be the best place to install it on the roof? Any information woud be appreciated.Thanks.
Tom
Jaelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Too Cool Ozz! Now I'll just have to try it and see (if I ever finish running the cables!)
Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tom,

If you get the dome type vs the crank up type, the dome needs to be relatively level. We put ours right in the middle:

If you love pulling wire, it's a relatively easy install. Hardest part is getting the courage to run the drill through your roof the first time. If you hate running wire, might be worth the $275 install by someone that does. We installed (installing) our own, as I like everything hidden and not sure the installers would have been as pickey as me.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Jaelyn
Established Member

M.O.C. #619
Brad,
I'm guessing that you would run the antenna wire in the ceiling to a closet or cupboard to the bottom of the fifth wheel to the wires that end up going out to the slide,up to the entertainment? A 12 volt line
back to the satellite from from the low voltage fuse box. Thanks for your help.
Tom
Jaelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tom,

Depending on what model Montana you have -

I followed Ozz's lead - Our 3400 has an electrical void above the washer/dryer closet (behind the panel in the bathroom). Cables easily dropped into there from the roof, then routed down inside the wall to the inside step - then to the belly, entertainment slide...as you have stated. The roadtrip is a dual LNB, so I ran two cables for the entertainment area. We'll put a dual tuner receiver in there to run both TVs independantly.

Interesting - that's where the toggling comes in. Only one cable from the antenna allows toggling between satellites, the other cable cannot toggle. You can watch independent channels through the tuner, but the front TV will decide which satellite (110 or 119). It's the only logical design Winegard could have used, or each TV would fight with the other for satellite control. Winegard has a licensed switch software for both Dish and Direct TV. When you run "checkswitch" on your reciever, it will find the Winegard switch and assume you have reception through both satellites, even though it can only see one at a time.

I used one of the spares in the 12V panel and ran a new 12V circuit down the wall to the Montana wall switch panel and added the new switch.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Brad, do they make one with a tripple LNB for Direct TV HDTV?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

I can't accurately say, as I was focused on Dish Network when I talked to them. It is my understanding they are trying to get a license for the third HD Dish satellite. Once obtained, I can replace the module in the antenna with the upgrade and it will toggle between all three satellites as selected.

There is a problem with Direct TV HD not being compatible with the antenna, as it requires a special LNBF. As we have Dish, I didn't pursue the answer any further. You might call thier tech support to see what thier plans are for Direct TV HD.

Brad
Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
Heli 190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4448
The moving Sat dish is more for Motor Homes where they might want to watch TV on the move. It would not do much good in the 5th wheel. I have the stationary dish and it works great as long as you have line of site.We did have a portable dish,your limited as to where you put it in the camping space several times I would set it up and than have a unit move in next to me and there went the signal.We bought our's from Camping World and had them install it. Walt
Heli 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hmm, We have a stationary Wiengard and sure wish we had spent the few extra bucks to get the in motion one just for the self leveling feature. It has the automatic search feature but the coach has to be dead level for it to work consistantly.. Also, ours is not the domed type. Last year, after driving through a particularily hard rain, the unit failed. It took several trips to the dealer for troubleshooting before Wiengaard threw in the towel and sent a new unit to be installed (under the one year warranty). In the meantime, it was out of service for about 60 days. Not sure if the dome would have helped or if the rain caused the problem but I have my suspicions.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote