Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #21
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Enjoy your life the way it is right now. Live in the moment! Enjoy your children, because someday they will be gone (on their own) and you will ask where did the time go? It really suonds like that is exactly what you are doing! Life evolves, and every part is to be experienced and enjoyed! We are only a couple years til retirement and we can hardly wait! Then I think, I don't want to wish my life away! We are just going to enjoy where we are at right now. You have a great opportunity right now to really enjoy camping with your kids, creating wonderful memories they will never forget. So, go out and enjoy them and someday you will also get to enjoy your grandchildren and eventual retirement. All that said, I think the reason why it seems that so many don't have kids is because those who do are just so busy they don't have time to post too often. I think they are out there in Montana Land somewhere. It seems we have a good cross section of people in various stages of life. I think this is good. Besides, what else do retired Montana Owner who are full-time and traveling got to do? lol. It sure would be fun to find out!!!

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Yall talk about kids in college and getting ready for the "retirement years"... I am sitting here wondering what am I going to do when my first child is born?? Ha ha, guess I skipped right over those years and went straight into retirement at 21 when I bought my first rv. LOL!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #23
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Who knows where life will take us. A year ago, I would have never dreamed that I would be living the RV full time life. Steve and I were avid hikers and campers; but we knew nothing about RV living. Then I was assigned to finish my clinical residency in Southern CA for a year and a half. We wracked our brains trying to figure out the logistics of moving our 3 pets and household. For some reason we stumbled upon an outdoor recreation show that had RV's, motor coaches and fifthwheels. Something clicked in my head, and I thought "this is it, this is what we are going to do in Califorinia". We are kinda doing it backwards; here we are in our 30's and full timing it! Wierd, huh?
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #24
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I wouldn't say wierd, it sounds like a great way to start.
We have 2, no, 1 1/4 at home. The oldest is 21 and just uses this as a stopover to shower, change clothes, get his laundry done, and sleep once in awhile. The youngest is 15 and still thinks were cool enough to hang out with, LOL probably because he doesn't have a drivers license yet. What about this one Rich?

Dad, He's looking out my side.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #25
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
I know sometimes you look into the future and wish you were there. But enjoy those kids and the time with them camping. My fondest memories growing up was camping with my family including a bunch of cousins. Then when you get old and retired - heh heh - you will have a lot to talk and think about.

-Dick
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #26
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Craig & Cheryl,

Like others have said, we appear to be the minority but you are not alone. We have a sophmore and senior in college as well as a 2 and 1/2 yo grand-daughter who is the first one in the truck when I hook the Mountaineer up. My son is already asking if we can help with Grad school if he can get through it in one year so we see no retirement in our future and even when we do we don't honestly see ourselves full timing (maybe half timing).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #27
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
We have 8 year old and 13 year old been camping for over 7 years know and both love it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #28
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am 55 and Donna is 54 but we were married for 14 years before the kids came along so they are both at home going to college. Girl 21 Boy 19. They both have cars and they both work and pay their own schooling as well as their car expenses. We are lucky and they get along well but when we left them alone for 6 weeks in the spring, it was the best education they received this year.

Now they know how much groceries cost, how much work their Mom does for them and they were actually happy to see us come back home. And........they never trashed the house while we were gone.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #29
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
First hand experience is the best learning tool I have ever encountered. It's amazing how fast they catch on.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #30
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
More "non-retirees" here. Jena teaches, so we are limited to summer vacations and weekends here and there. We have grown kids, one in Oak Park, IL and one who lives on our reservation.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #31
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
We have 3 daughters. 24 year old lives on her own since graduating from college, but meets up with us for camping trips sometimes. 16 year old and 14 year old are still home and camp with us most of the time. The girls were our reason for buying the 342PHT bunkhouse. Works perfectly for us.

We both still work and I don't see full timing in our future at any time. Extended trips someday, I hope.

The girls often take friends with them so I think we are teaching a bunch of other people's children about camping, too.

I don't have any "empty nest" fears. We will be ready for them to go when they do, but we are enjoying where our lives are right now, too. It's all good!

Love the comments--how about this one, Rich--
From our then 5 year old as we drive south on 101 along the Washington coast--"I want the ocean to be on MY side!!" We actually turned around and drove north for a while so the ocean was on her side of the truck. Obviously, we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere!

Cheri
Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #32
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Another thought - members who are retired have more time to post. Those that are still working don't have a lot of extra time to spend at the computer. So it seems like all you are hearing from are retired people. Last year we did a "what is the age of you and your spouse". If I remember right, the average and mean was around 56. That means there are a lot of members younger than retirement age. Now this doesn't mean the retired people SHOULD be spending a lot of time here but this forum is very addictive and fun. I have tons of other stuff I could be doing but look at all I would miss.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #33
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Sue-good point. Hadn't thought about that before. I'm lucky as I work on my own and have ability to jump around the net on and off during the day as I can. We're just thankful we can do what we do. Of course, we would love to camp more, but the kids keep us busy. Oldest two are in marching band in high school and it is competition season. We really enjoy that too. We've been known to take the camper to the competitions and use it as a place to rest or some of the kids get to cool off.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #34
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Our children are 45,41,40 and 9. The nine year old is our adopted Grandson. Always keep your options open, life deals you surprises. I retired twice but really didn't care for it. We do love camping and whenever the opportunity arises we pack up the Montana and head out. Seize whatever opportunity comes along and enjoy life.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #35
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
A few years ago when we had our Travel Trailer, sports became a big deal with my older daughter. Had to make a choice of going to the games or going camping. We compromised by taking the TT to almost every game wheather in town or not. It became the team lunch wagon and we had a blast. Most of the parents would help us cook and buy food, and it became a ritual.

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Brad, you would make a good Parrothead. The tailgate parties before the concerts is a big thing for Jimmy Buffett fans. Almost all are RVs. More motorhomes than anything else because some venues have a restriction about no trailers. Since Ed doesn't go to the concerts, learning to drive the Monty was big on my list several years ago then Jimmy stopped going to the Irvine outdoor arena and we haven't gone for a couple of years.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #37
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
We have been retired for not quite 1 1/2 years and I must say it has been a wonderful experience. We both took our children camping when they were small and had some great times. We were camping this past weekend at a small campground in northeast Iowa. There were many families with small children and it was so much fun to see how they were enjoying the experience. We've always said that kids and camping just seem to go together. While we are looking forward to our first winter as a snowbird, we will always remember those days long gone and the memories that are still with us.
Jim and Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - Thanks Sue. It was fun.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #39
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We just retired in November 06, and the plan was to buy a condo on a lake can go fishing and watch the sunsets. We then decided we should try rving an visit all of our great states. Well, after the first trip, we got the bug and have now been gone 7 out of the 10/11 mos. that we have been retired. I miss my boat, but we have met so many great people along the way. We also enjoy the fact that we can stay a day or a month if we like at a rv park. This trip started out as a two month trip to Montana and Idaho and has now been a 3 and 1/2 month adventure. Our kids are 42 and 40, and like to join us for a few days on the road here and there. Rving is the greatest thing in the world for families, I think if young families can afford it they should try it. Itis also great to get reacquainted with your spouse, unless you are trying to back into a tight spot which can cause a bit of a strain for a few minutes. Enjoy your times with your children while you can, and then when retirement comes, enjoy all of th new adventures and great friends you will meet.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #40
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I am in my early 50's and my wife hasn't hit the big 50 yet...our kids have all moved out except one that is 16 and just got her driving license and first job. Lookout world!!
We've been hauling our kids to the woods camping since they've been out of diapers as my wife and I both come from outdoors loving families. And I mean the whole roughing it deal...our boat, tent, and outdoor cooking (along with getting stuck in the rain and an occasional bear).
We graduated to a used motorhome and had just a blast.
Now that the kids are almost gone, we've finally gotten a new rig (now 3 years old) suited for the two of us, and with the room and capability of having guests.
I gotta tell you, even though having the kids around made for some good family fun, we now equally enjoy a nice quiet weekend away from it all.
I don't know that my wife would be as willing as myself to get out full timing, but we have a ways to go yet...so I'll be patient.

I'd love to go south for a couple months in the winter to get a taste...that would be a little slice of heaven for me.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote