Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
Banks Power chip upgrade

I'm considering getting a computer chip 'upgrade' from Banks Power with the hope of improving my fuel mileage. Does anyone have experience with this?

-Dave

2007 3400RL
  • 5.5 Kw Onan LP generator
  • TBC Surgeguard
  • MotoSat internet roof-mounted
  • MotoSat HDTV roof-mounted
  • Class 4 towing hitch

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
  • Cummins Diesel
  • Jake Brake
  • dual rear tires
  • navigation system

dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I don't use a Banks but I'm getting about 1.3 mpg better overall using a Quadzilla standard. About .1-.2 better towing and more power available. I've kept hand calc'd records since the truck was new including before and after and the difference. You may get different results. Keep in mind you become your own warranty station with the installation of a chip. I think there has been several threads on this that may help also.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
Yep...I understand the warranty issues...legally, I'm told, it becomes an issue by issue discussion...ie is the chip upgrade the cause of the trannie failure? etc. I just had the Dodge exhaust brake installed rather than a 3rd party to avoid the same issue. But with the cost of fuel and the desiire for more power on the hills, I will probably go this route.

2007 3400RL
  • 5.5 Kw Onan LP generator
  • TBC Surgeguard
  • MotoSat internet roof-mounted
  • MotoSat HDTV roof-mounted
  • Class 4 towing hitch

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
  • Cummins Diesel
  • Jake Brake
  • dual rear tires
  • navigation system

dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
You might check out Diesel Truck Resource for more info. It's a Dodge forum and seems to have some pretty decent info.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have the SuperChips Tuner ... went with stage 1. Noticable power increase, but no improvement in fuel milage while pulling the fiver. Like to old saying goes "the more horses you have ... the more hay you have to put in the barn". I've often wondered if those who claim fuel mileage increases while pulling are quoting off the trucks computer or off their fuel reciepts.

Kansas
2005 2980RL
2000 F-350 Powerstroke dually
Banks 4" SS exhaust / Superchip Tuner
Pillar mount boost / pyro guages
coolant filter
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think most folks are reporting the overhead [vehicle] computer reading unless they specifically say hand figured. The increase I've had towing is miniscule, a tenth of a mile/g or so over all, but it is there and is hand calculated. I keep date, towing/not towing, location, price, cost, gallons, total miles, miles at fillup, mpg and miles the 5er has been towed. I also record the overhead computer reading and it is ALWAYS wrong. I use a handheld with Excell to figure and store the data, backup to a laptop.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Old 08-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had the Banks Power Pack since 2001. It included an air intercooler, permanent air filter, computer chip, ottomind computer, transcommand module. I increased 2 mpg which surprised me because I wasn't expecting it. I only had the system installed to gain the extra power for all the hills we go over.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sorry to say I have the Banks System in my 7.3. my sugestion go with another brand, it will be less money, and work just as good, maybe better. Banks has a lousy warrintee department too, you are paying for the sailsmans commission, and there craftsmen, leave off crafts, that install are non union, and do minnium wage work.

TT2

Don, Georgia and Smokey.
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel, Clydesdale, Banks Stinger, Prodigy Controler,
Pullin a Super Fine 2004 / 2980-RL

[img] http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigwx_cond/language/www/US/CA/Santa_Fe_Springs.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Santa Fe Springs, California Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

Trailer Trash 2's link
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Check out www.kennedydiesel.com. He responds quickly to questions and there is a wealth of info on the site.

2002 GMC 2500HD Ext cab 4x4, D/A, Bilstiens, Hellwig rear sway bar, air lift w/in cab control
2007 Mountaineer 31RLD TT
Zodiac 10' w/4hp mercury
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 610 CTD 4x2. I made the following changes all with hopes of better fuel and performance: MBRP Muffler, AiRaid Jr. (air filter and torque tube), and Quadzilla xzt module (adds 65hp). At first I saw no change in fuel mileage but after a few tanks it has gotten much better overall. I am getting about 2-4 miles more per gallon. I have spent less than $500 total. The biggest problem I have seen is the drop in mileage I am seeing when I fill up with ULSD which seems like it is just about everywhere you buy fuel now. I run, Power Service (?? white bottle) with every other tank fill up which seems to help some, but not much. The BIG difference that I am most pleased with is the increase in power both solo and towing along with much lower egt's.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Jeff;

Is that increase hand calc or overhead computer? I run my Quad standard on the 60hp setting. I use Diesel Kleen [4 oz/12 gal], it can be purchased at WM but I'v found it is cheaper at Atwoods Farm Store. I've used it since new so can't say if there is any difference. It's a cetane booster also {supposedly}.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Sorry to say I have the Banks System in my 7.3. my sugestion go with another brand, it will be less money, and work just as good, maybe better. Banks has a lousy warrintee department too, you are paying for the sailsmans commission, and there craftsmen, leave off crafts, that install are non union, and do minnium wage work.

TT2

Don, Georgia and Smokey.
That's interesting that you didn't get good warranty work from Banks. They've taken very good care of me even when I thought I might have a problem. They have taken my truck in and made adjustments even after more than four years after initial installation. As a matter of fact, last fall when I lost my transmission, I took my truck into Gale Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA to have it checked because the people who reinstalled my transmission didn't hook everything up the way it was supposed to be. I'm really sorry that you didn't have good relations with them, but we did. Yes, it is pricey but I know a guy who had a 2000 Ford F-350 who had a generic chip put in his truck and he ruined his transmission and had to have the engine overhauled. So, I guess you pay your money and you take your choice. For me, I'd beware of generic chips installed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932
That's interesting that you didn't get good warranty work from Banks. They've taken very good care of me even when I thought I might have a problem. They have taken my truck in and made adjustments even after more than four years after initial installation. As a matter of fact, last fall when I lost my transmission, I took my truck into Gale Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA to have it checked because the people who reinstalled my transmission didn't hook everything up the way it was supposed to be. I'm really sorry that you didn't have good relations with them, but we did. Yes, it is pricey but I know a guy who had a 2000 Ford F-350 who had a generic chip put in his truck and he ruined his transmission and had to have the engine overhauled. So, I guess you pay your money and you take your choice. For me, I'd beware of generic chips installed.

Orv
[/quote]

Well I just dont know what to tell you Orv, but it went like this, I made an appointment two different times, at a designated time each visit, at Gail Banks in Industry, I had to take time off from my job each time to go get service, and each time that I went, announced my appointment time I sat in a waiting room for almost 2 hours before they even took the truck in, I dont want to go into detail, but I could give many other things that Banks didn't do and how they treated some of my other friends that had the Banks systems installed,.
Maybe at a MOC Rally in spring at Flying Flags I can tell you what happened.

Happy Trailering.

TT2

Don, Georgia and Smokey.

[img] http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/bigwx_cond/language/www/US/CA/Santa_Fe_Springs.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Santa Fe Springs, California Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

Trailer Trash 2's link
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I had a Quadzilla 110 hp module in my previous '04 and it netted 1-2 mpg better overall driving back and forth to work. I don't know if I will do anything to the '06 as of yet.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I'm also considering some type of upgrades, but don't know what yet. I'm getting 14 mpg around town, but only 8.5 - 9.5 mpg towing.

BillyRay

2002 3500 Chevy D/W 4x4 C/C Diesel
2004 3685FL
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

Jeff;

Is that increase hand calc or overhead computer? I run my Quad standard on the 60hp setting. I use Diesel Kleen [4 oz/12 gal], it can be purchased at WM but I'v found it is cheaper at Atwoods Farm Store. I've used it since new so can't say if there is any difference. It's a cetane booster also {supposedly}.

Skip

Skip and Mary
It's hand calculated. Recently, on a round trip to Jackson Mississippi - solo I averaged 21 MPG at average speed of 75MPH. Around town i am getting 16.7 to 18.3 just depending on how much I keep my foot out of it. Once you plug in the module the overhead is way off. I have to tell you I will not go back to stock. I am very pleased with the preformance of my truck now with the upgrades.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote