Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Help!!! Need moral support!!

Sorry for this lengthy post...For months and months now I have been looking online at different fifth wheels and had my heart set on a Mountaineer 319BHS. Well, I finally sold my old trailer and actually went looking on dealer lots today. I could only find one dealer in the Phoenix area that had the 319 I wanted to look at on the lot. The wife and I loved the floor plan, the vast amount of storage etc. but I have to say I was extremely disappointed at the poor fit and finish of this unit. It seemed everywhere I looked, there were dents and dings or scuffs on the doors, cabinets, trim pieces etc. Some of the cabinet doors were not lining up correctly and there were several places where the trim pieces did not line up, and where the wall paper trim was already peeling up. We did mention this to the salesman and he told us that the unit had not been P.D.I.ed and they could fix anything we found. I told him I was skeptical that they would be able to fix entire trim pieces where the paper laminate was cracked or peeling away from the cabinet face frames on the entertainment center. He then told me that the dealership could replace entire cabinets if that is what it took??? I don't know what factory worker had the staple gun the day this unit was made, but I counted no less than 53....yes 53!! mini staples in the side trim piece on the entertainment center. That's just plain shoddy workmanship in my opinion. We did not come close to actually making a deal on this unit but I wanted to ask all the experienced Montana owners here if this sounds normal? Did you all find all these flaws when looking at your new rigs, and if so were they actually fixed by the dealer? In the back of my mind I'm thinking I should find another fifth wheel....not new model or floor plan...just another unit as this one seems to have too many problems before we even get started. What do you all think??

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I Can't answer that as the only dealer around here IMHO wroth dealing with never lets a trailer be seen until they go over it first. But it does seem to be one that got thru keystone, maybe last one built on a Friday.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I would say this is not normal and if I were you I would keep looking.
My 06 2955RL is very well put together and after 4 months of going over it , my only complaint is sawdust and building debris behind panels and grills. The overall workmanship is excellent and I am a fussy guy that has done wiring, plumbing, and carpentry work for the last 30 years.

I have not been in Mountaineers but I have been in lots of Cougars which are a lower line than Mountaineer and they were fine. The Forest River units I went through , Cardinals and Sandpipers had many cosmetic flaws so I am glad my Monty was built by the Pros and not the New Hires.

It happens, good people go on vacation, quit, or die and the people that replace them may not have the skill or moral fibre that compels people to do their best work.

This is why I believe Quality Control is so important for any manufacturer and when a unit like you describe is allowed to be shipped.......Keystone loses.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We looked and looked for 5 years. When we decided on the Montana we also decided that we didn't want something that who knows how may people had walked thru and maybe even tested toilets etc. We decided that we would just order one. That way we would get exactly what we wanted. It didn't take long to get it either. When it came in we did our PDI as recommended and we were on our way...Have only had a few minor defects and 2 major ones. #1 the black stuff cracked that is under the bedroom slide and #2 somehow one of the slides cut some of the wires inside the trailer and we only had half power. Both have been fixed. The minor things were just that minor. So if you aren't in a hurry I would suggest ordering one just the way you want it. Look at the one's on the lot and then take several and write down what you like and then order it. Just my opinion
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
My recommendation would be to order one and wait. What you saw, IMHO was not "normal" Keystone workmanship. I wouldn't count on any dealer fixing the problems you mentioned to your satisfaction.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I cant believe that Keystone let a coach in that condition leave the factory. I would say dont give up on the Mountaineer line, they are truly quality units. I am with Kathi on this one, I ordered my coach for the very same reasons she mentioned. I am probably the most picky person you are ever going to meet, the factory and dealership knew it by the time my order was placed. They came through with flying colors. My suggestion is to keep looking, you will find the right unit for you...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We ordered our 318BHS and the only issue we had on delivery was the closet bar was missing in the bunk room wardrobe. Our dealer had one on order Monday AM to be shipped directly to me (was easier to install than to drove 90 minutes back to the dealer). We saw units (from numerous manufacturers) that looked as you described after several days at shows but never one directly from the factory. I would see if you can find another Mountaineer dealer nearby to look at to get a better comfort level on the quality (what you described does not sound normal) and then order exactly what you want.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I didn't like what I saw, I wouldn't buy it. It is as simple as that. My Montana isn't anything like you discribed, even after three years.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Hey everyone thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the consensus seems to be this particular unit was "unusually bad". Like everyone here has stated, other Montana units and Mountaineers that I have looked at in the past did not have these quality issues. We are definitely not giving up on the Mountaineer. Both the wife and I really love the floor plan and huge amounts of storage in the 319. I figure time is on my side so we are going to keep looking until we can find a unit that had a little better tender loving care. The salesman has not called me back yet, but when he does I have decided to tell him I will not buy that specific unit. If he wants to deal from that point on another unit or maybe talk about ordering one from the factory we will go from there. Once again, thanks to all who confirmed my suspicions but yet gave me hope that all fifth wheels are not created equal!!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Don't give up on Keystone yet. Although there are stories out there like this one, for the most part we are all happy with our units (or we wouldn't be here). When we did the PDI on our last unit it was nearly flawless. The only thing was,, when the dealer delivered it they damaged one of the kitchen slide moldings inside. Personally,, I think they did it on purpose so they would have something to fix.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
AZCampinfool, I think you made the wise decision. I agree with the others that what you saw is not normal but I would run away from that particular rig as fast as I can. If it's that shoddy where you can see I'd hate to think what it's like in areas you can't.

Good luck. Welcome aboard and feel free to ask any and all questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
I would certainly look else where even if I had to travel four or five hundred miles. This just doesn't sound right, like maybe it came from a place that had severe weather and wasn't protected.
This just doesn't sound like a keystone product.
Run quick and don't look back. Good luck.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My opinion is that it is best to order one from the factory.In addition you will know when it is built and it has not been in a RV show or laying around on a dealers lot and you have total control over the options you want. Even I will admit that the one you were looking at is not "typical" or even close to "typical" of a Keystone product.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
I would just like to add my vote for Montana Quality! When we picked up our 06 3670, we did a four hour pdi and the only thing we could find wrong was the bathroom door was a little tight. The tech came in and in two minutes it closed perfectly. We have not found any problems since except the Quest sound system which we had already heard many complaints about on this site!
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
OK, here is what you do. While facing the unit turn slowly 180 degrees and run as fast as you can before that dealer gets the chance to stick the knife in. The Monty's are great units and there are many good dealers out there. Don't let that fool insult your intelligence.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote