Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
License & Registration

This may be here some where, but I did a search and found nothing. So here it goes. In Iowa I have always paid the normal $65 for licensing my new pick-ups. This time I stopped in to pay the taxes and update the registration and the lady there asked how many tons I wanted to license it for. I said I have always paid $65 dollars and she told me I would have to pay more than that because that was for 3 tons add the truck weighs more than that. OK, I thought I could pay for 5 tons because it weighs in @ 8600 lbs. She asked if I towed anything and said if the gross combination weight of truck and trailer was over 8 tons I had to license it for whatever the tonnage of the gross combined weight of the truck and trailer. I said that would be 11-12 tons then. She agreed and wanted me to pay 305 dollars to license the truck. I was confused and agreed to pay for 5 tons for now and told her I would up it when it came due in June to whatever I needed. Does anyone on here have any knowledge about how the DOT or in particular the Iowa DOT works and if this is true. I pay license fees for the trailer already. I was under the impression that I would have to pay tonnage for whatever the truck's 2 axles would weigh.

P.S. I got the trailer out of storage today and drove it straight to the scales and total gross weight truck an trailer was 21,580. Once we get a few items in th traier loaded up for camping it will be 1500 pounds heavier.

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ron,
I had the same experience over here in Washington, except I argued with the gal and got my way. (Sort of) I was told I had to pay the tabs for the GVWR of the truck which I asked what the reason was behind that. She claimed it was for the amount of damage my heavy truck does to the roads, any of you that live up this way know that the road damage comes from studded tires not trucks driving down the road. Since I was not getting anywhere with her I agreed to pay the $75 and be on my way. Then she dropped the bomb, asked what the GCVWR of the truck was? 22,000 lbs and she said ok now I owe her another $425 for the weight of the GCVWR, I said NO I DO NOT. Just because the truck can handle this much weight does not mean I drive around 365 days a year with that much weight. She asked if I do alot of towing, I said it does not matter if I do or not, I will pay for the weight of the truck, but I am not going to pay for additional weight that I may or may not tow every day of the year. This went round and round for a good 20 mins and she finally gave in and I was out of there for $75. I have to say if that is truly correct, we pay for tabs based on the GCVWR I might have to look into registering my vehicles in another state. (urgh!!)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I am registering my 1 ton on Monday....I will let you know what they do here in Montana...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Fordzilla, it's not just Iowa anymore. The Feds have done this to us all. I got shock here in NC this January when I got my renewal. Cost me $345.00 till September when i get another renewal that will bring it up to annual basis at that time.
Montana Sky hate to break bad news to you but feds have mandated all these changes. God forbid if you have an accident and don't have your truck license for the total weight of your truck and what ever is hooked to it you are liable. And if they want to bring the DOT enforcement officer into to it the can charge you on federal level for the weight restrictions. Those are the facts it's went nationwide. The DOT officer has federal authority on weight restrictions and can enforce them on federal level. It's your choice how you tag you truck for weight but please be smart about it. If you are over your tag limit and get caught of forbid have an accident then your insurance company can refuse your claim due to your negligence to follow the law on tag requirements.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Broome101,
Well that is not what I was hoping to hear this morning. I did pay the $75 and that is for the 9,200 lb GVWR of the truck, back in 2005 tabs used to be $38 so this already is an increase for me. I think tomorrow I will give the WA state DOT a call and get all the facts, then pay up any additional money if any is due. I still have to say I do not agree with paying tabs based on the 22,000 lbs, especially since my coach sits down at the river for 6 months a year. Usually take 2 or 3 small trips during the summer/fall before putting it back into the garage for winter. Well I guess I am not going to change it so I might as well get used to it. Thanks for the heads up before there might have been a problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just checked on line with Ohio ..nothing has changed since last year..all rates are still the same....so far...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Montana Sky, please post what you find out Monday. I must renew our tabs by the end of the month. We are presently in Kooskia, ID without even cell service so I can not check with the licensing folks. I have been paying about $60 for our Dodge for the past several years. Told me it was due to the GVWR of the truck. We are now fulltimers and have been thinking about changing our residency. The problem is we are kinda locked in here for an indefinate period of time. Will be very difficult for us to go where ever to establish residency. Seems the folks in Olympia just don't seem to get the picture.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
These rates may be for commercial trucks.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I asked our local police chief to look into it for me. We are friends and he knows I will do what is right. Just don't want to get taken advantage of. I may call the DOT hotline on Monday and ask as well. The hardest thing I have a problem with is I can license my truck for 5 tons and pull whatever I want as long as the total GCWR is less than 8 tons. But if I go over 8 tons between the truck and whatever I am pulling I have to get a license for the GCWR. I think I should only have to pay license for what the truck would weigh hooked up and ready to go.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm hope none of that spreads to Ohio. The F 350 is classified as a non-commerical truck and the camper as a Motor home.No weights .84.50 for the truck and 49.50 for the camper plus any county tax which cannot be more than 20.00
Old 04-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I guess I should be happy with Washington as we do not have a state income tax. However I did forget to mention that the cost of the tabs for the coach went up as well. These are now also based on weight, not just a flat rate for a trailer as before. It still seems to me like the state is double dipping me. Paying 22,000 lbs GCVWR for the truck and then again paying for the GVWR of the coach which was based at 14,000 lbs. I know the 3400RL is max at 13,790 lbs but they round to the nearest thousand pounds. Should be an interesting phone call tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I wish I could get away with the fees you guys are talking about for my truck and trailer. We just licensed the trailer for the first time here in Colorado and there were no sales taxes involved it was just the license for the trailer. I paid the sales tax at the time of purchase of our 2980. License for the trailer was a cool 998.32. The truck is another 200.00 on top of that. Oh and Colorado does have state income tax and some of the worst roads around. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, We are tagged in NC as what was once called commercial tag due to vehicle weighing over 7K pounds. They have know gone to what is called weighted tag that is permit you just get a sticker each year after the first go around instead of new tag each year. You have to tell them total weight when you first get this newer tag of truck and what ever you may tow as a total. It's the total weight that you tow that you must tag your truck for, not just the truck. i was told this changed Nation wide 2006 and all trucks that are heavier that just a 1/2 ton will have this. Guess you will have to wait ans see if it applies to Ohio or not, but friend of mine in SC had the same issue this year as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:32 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure that if it is a nation wide thing Ohio will catch up but as of right now according to the State web site where we order plates/tags, it has not yet changed.If there is anyone here fron Ohio who has recently got new tags let me know what you had to pay???
Old 04-10-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Well after spending some time talking to a DOT officer I was told that I only had to pay for tonnage on whatever the truck would weigh when hooked up to the trailer. He said if I was to hook up to a flatbed trailer and haul stuff around then I would have to pay a license for the total amount of what ever I was pulling + the weight of the truck. But with a travel trailer or 5th wheel we have to pay license fees on them separately per square foot. So long story short I only have to license the truck for 6 tons unless we load the Monty up too nose heavy and the trucks 2 axles go over 6 tons. Best news, 6 tons is only $105 per year.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Montana Sky, what license office did you use in Spokane? I really want to avoid that particular one. I just found my renewal for this year. Says $63 which is what I have paid as long as I have owned this truck. Do you have any idea what they were talking for your Montana. Last year I paid $40.25 for my 2850RK which was the same as the tag for the boat trailer for my 10' Baby Bass Boat. Hope to be in Spokane over the weekend to get this taken care of.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well to make a very long story short here is what I got out of today. I was overcharged on both truck and coach. Here is what it should have cost me to begin with,
Truck $67.00 covers me GVWR of 10,000 lbs
Coach $40.75 has a scale wt of 11,970lbs - they do not care what GVWR of coach is.

Thanks to this group things are now squared away, sure would have not known other wise.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question for those who have already renewed tags in South Dakota - did it change in SD or is it same as last year? I know we're getting new plates in 2006. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We, too, are most interested in the South Dakota answer. We're due to renew in July.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #20
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
commercial I say yes but not private fed dot is commercial over see er as to the gvw on truck yes and yes you can do higher but Iowa has not changed yet. and feral commercial regs do not cover private. another case of the confusion in gov. Private is till under control of states that law has not changed. But us gov is trying to put pressure on states to change there laws and they also have talks of making driver licenses all fed. but until that law is made private licenses and licensing vehicles is still under the stats domain until they change that law. I just got my 3500 srw license bill from state for 80 sent it in and got my tag back the other day.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote