Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
319BHD

Talked to my dealer today he says Keystone will not sell my unit without a rear ladder or side awning or the tv or the radio. Seems to me that if Keystone wanted my money that I could have it my way. If I were to buy a house I dont think the builder would say that I would need things like this.

crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
I can understand not wanting the T.V. or radio, but why would you opt for a rig with no ladder or awning???
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
I did not want the ladder because it is just something for kids to play on when I am not around or the awning because it is just something else to fix later on down the road.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crandallbradley

I did not want the ladder because it is just something for kids to play on when I am not around or the awning because it is just something else to fix later on down the road.
We boondock a lot and sometimes trailer space can be very tight i.e. setups on fairgrounds and if nothing else an awing helps define that additional space of yours. I couldn't imaging not having an awning but if for nothing else I would want it for this...
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Another thought, just get the fiver with the awning and sell it once you take delivery. I have known of several people over the years that would have bought it. Seems like there is always someone who had their awning damaged or blown off and need a replacement.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the reason keystone will not build one without the ladder or Awning is because of the way they Mass produce these things. No ladder /Awning would no doubt be a special order and that would mean time and money to the manufacturer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I know when I wanted the larger awning for the 3685FL a year or so ago, Keystone would not put it on. I had to either have the smaller one put on or have the awning shipped and use it as a trade in on the larger one. After a big tado with the dealer, they put the larger awning on at no cost. Even if you don't get the awning, you are charged for one. At least that was what we were told.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
This sounds similar to what I ran into. If you wanted the larger refrigerator, you paid $1500 for it, but you don't get a credit for the smaller frig which is standard.

Mary
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crandallbradley

Talked to my dealer today he says Keystone will not sell my unit without a rear ladder or side awning or the tv or the radio. Seems to me that if Keystone wanted my money that I could have it my way. If I were to buy a house I dont think the builder would say that I would need things like this.
I'm pretty sure you could get them to ship it without the Television or Stereo installed but still in the coach. You could always try and sell those. I know of a few members didn't have their headboards or window treatments installed but they did come inside the coach.

I could be wrong but I would think the Ladder may be a RIVA thing? If you're concerned about children playing on the ladder maybe you could rig up some kind of cover or obstacle that would prevent that? In the years we have had our Montana we have never had a problem with kids being on the ladder. Not even my grand daughter who gets into everything, is stubborn and rarely listen to me. I'm extremely height phobic but without the ladder I have no idea how Dick would be able to do the necessary maintenance that the roof, vents and AC require that are up there. I can't imagine having to carry a ladder large enough to get on top of the 13 foot beast or would be stable enough to climb on. Not to mentioned the damage it could cause to the finish of the camper.

Regarding the awning, it takes very little room when retracted and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It is something you may want there if for no other reason that resale value. The ladder is also a consideration on resale too I would think.

Having a stick home built by a builder is much different than a camper that's being manufactured. I doubt you could get GM to build you a vehicle without seat belts or other things that are considered to be on all of their vehicles as standard equipment or necessary equipment? I could be wrong of course. Sure wouldn't be the first or last time.

When I have had builders build a stick house for me, omitting something never credited me near the dollar figure the item was worth.

Our Montanas are not custom built campers. There are a few companies out there that provide custom built campers but they are much higher priced than a Montana.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote