Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Montana_4878

M.O.C. #4878
Wheels falling off

Has anyone had a problem with their wheels falling off their Montana? We have had both wheels on the right side fall off at different times within 500 miles of each other. Torque was correct.

Montana_4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Montana_2182

M.O.C. #2182
That's a new one! Haven't had a problem with our's or heard of anyone else mention problems with their wheels.
Montana_2182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Do you have the steel or aluminum? There is a recall for the aluminum wheels, had mine done when brought the coach in for winterization. Check with your dealership. I will admit your problem is a first that I have heard of.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
smalexander,
There are several issues at hand here. The lug nut issue is one. The shackles issue is another one. Very few folks have reported ACTUALLY loosing a wheel or two. Mostly what we have had reported is loose lug nuts that end up getting tightened and all is well. The shackle issue can cause wheels to fall off of the coach as well and we have had a couple of reports of that happening.

If you haven't done a search for the discussions on these issues then I'd suggest you do that. You will find tons of information. Good luck and welcome to the MOC.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We lost a wheel in 2002 on the freeway around Oakland, CA. It was caused, we think, by some loose lugnuts that caused a "wallowing out" of the holes in the wheel and eventually sheared off all the lugs. Since that time I have checked the tightness of the lugnuts every time before we leave from where we are. Once in a while we have noticed a slightly loose lugnut, so it pays to check them -- and often.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:46 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
So sorry for your problem. But you're in the right place. People on the forum are very open about discussing the good and the bad about the Montana units. So you'll find a solution and possibly someone else who has had a similar problem. Welcome.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The shackle problem has been discussed a lot here and it looks like it could possibly be one of the problem that could cause a wheel to come off. Certainly loose lug nuts will be a major problem. Let us all know what you find to be the problem that your unit has.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Since a broken shackle would be an obvious (easily visible) cause of the loss of a wheel, I have to believe that the lug nuts (or maybe the bolts themselves) came loose. You said that the torque was OK...when was the torque last checked before traveling? Anytime that a tire is taken off for any reason, we check ours with a torque wrench at 100 miles then again at 300 towed miles and for a third time at around 500-700 miles. Also the day before towing after a long stay (a couple of weeks or more). Probably overkill, but I do have the time.

What did the repair folks say was the cause?
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
smalexander,

Hope you get back on this thread. You left a lot out of your decscription such as exactly what happened and what type of coach you have. (year and model)

There was some seperation issues with early 99 and 2000 models that led to a silent recall for Service Advisory 00-8 to upgrade the 8 inch frame.

So if you give the specifics, I am sure someone can help you.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smalexander

Has anyone had a problem with their wheels falling off their Montana? We have had both wheels on the right side fall off at different times within 500 miles of each other. Torque was correct.
If it was just the wheel and tire than it had to be a lug nut problem. Were the wheels the white steel or the Aluminum? It was mentioned at the rally in Goshen that Keystone was having problems with the aluminum wheels and lugs. If this was the case I would be contacting Keystone customer service ASAP at (574) 535-2100. DO NOT waste time emailing them.

As far as the shackles, the shackles connect the springs to the frame and bad or broken shackles would allow the entire spring and axle assembly to come off and not just the wheels and tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've never seen it on a Montana but we once stopped in Texas to see if we could assist a couple whose Carriage fifthwheel had dropped both wheels on one side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote