Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
5th Wheel weight specifications

I am currently pulling a 98 Cardinal with hitch and UVW much higher tan speced. I am driving an 03 2500HD and have to keep a close watch on the hitch pin weight.

I am looking to purchase a 3670RL in the near future but do not want to end up in weight related troubles again. How close are the advertised 2160# hitch pin, and 10560# UVW numbers on the 3670RL? Also, can anyone tell me where to find info that relates to the weights of "options". I would really be interested in knowing what the weights (Hitch and UVW)of a typically outfitted 3670RL really are. Can anyone help?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
If you look in ane of the cabinets you will find a list of weights. Then go on outside street side. Near the front jacks & you will fine another with the gross weights.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Hello Gene,

The weights listed on the label located in the cabinet inside the 5th wheel are almost always the same as listed in the brochures. And the brochure states these weights are approximate and assume only standard equipment.

In talking with various 5th wheel owners, the majority tell me their trailer, when actually weighed, was almost always heavier. I have also found this to be the case with the trailers I have owned. I am therefore assuming the same to be true with the Montana 5th wheels.

I am therefore wondering if anyone actually weighed their 3670RL unloaded and compared the numbers to those advertised. Also, assuming the trailer they purchased actually had a number of options over and above "standard equipment", how much did that weight increase.

When I asked about "weights of options" I was referring to (for example)how much weight is added when a 27" TV is installed since this is an "option" rather than part of the standard trailer. Some RV manufactures provide a line item cost of each addtional optional piece of equipment, and its weight. This is the list of option equipment and weights I was talking about.

Can anybody help?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We recently weighed our 3670, fully loaded for camping. It came in with a pin weight of 2580. We probably had more "stuff" on board than we really needed, but who doesn't? We are going to work on redistributing some things and removing others to try to get this number down. (We do have a washer/dryer that accounts for some of this weight).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
rickfox;
There arn't a lot of options on the Montana's. The heaviest I'm aware of is the hi-gloss exterior fiberglass, ~600#'s, followed by slide awings, 2nd AC, and generator prep, then some smaller/lighter items. When I weighed our 5ers [2 of them a 03 and an 05] off the lot they were close to the brochure listed weights. Within 20-30#'s on dry pin weights and a couple of hundred [heavy] on the dry weight [UVW]. They both had batteries and propane and the 05 had a full tank of water but did not have the heavy items listed above. It seems they include the weight of the mandatory options, Moving to Montana and Value packages, in their dry weight. The weight of a W/D [150#-200#?] is closer to the axle in the 05 3670.
You will probably have to call their customer service to even get close to the numbers you are looking for in detail.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Thanks Skip and Mary

It would be great if they included the manditory options in the weight figures. I will try calling customer service see if they can give me any insight into what the "average" 3670 will weight.

I have heard people say that the dealer would have the trailer weighed if he thought he could get a sale, but the dealer I asked concerning this was not interested.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Our 3670 with 1/3 tank of water, according to the gauge, weighs in at 13,880 pounds with a pin weight of 2800 pounds.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Weighed our new trailer Friday when pulling out to the campgrounds for the weekend. Trailer weighted 11,900 and a pin of 2,060. Not as heavy as I was expecting, but I'm sure it will gain some weight as the summer goes along.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Rickfox: Here is the info you asked for. When we picked up our 2004 3670RL Big Sky the first thing I did was take it over the scales at Flying J. You have to take into consideration that our unit has the high gloss exterior which adds about 600 lbs and it also had a battery and full propane tanks and all the extras (except thermopane windows and 2nd air) which I have taken into consideration in our Dry Weight and Carrying Capacity. Gross Weight is supposed to be 14160.

Brochure: Gross Dry Weight: 10560 Carrying Capacity: 3600 Hitch Weight: 2160
Our Weight: Dry (see above): 11740 Carrying Capacity: 2420 Hitch Weight: 2060
Our Current Travelling Weight: (without water) is 13900 and the Hitch Weight is 2860.

Hope this helps you out.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Bill and Ann,

This sounds like great information - the kind of "real world" info I'm looking for. But, I have a couple of questions be make sure I understand.

Assuming a 40# battery, 60# of propane, and 600# for hi-gloss fiberglass, the unit would weigh in at 11040#, or about 480# more for all the other goodies. Correct?

Also, the hitch pin weight for the above was 2060#, actually being about 100# less than advertised. This suggests that more of the add-on weight over and above the 10560# figure was added behind the the axles, causing the hitch pin to be slightly less. Correct?

Also, the current travel weight is 13900#, or 2160# of additional cargo. The addition of the cargo caused the pin weight to increase from 2060# up to 2860#, or 800#. This indicates that for every 10# of additional cargo, the hitch pin increased by 3.7# or 37%. Correct? - I have been told that a "rule of thumb" number is to assume that the hitch pin weight will increase by about 20% of the added cargo. I understand that things can change based upon how things are actually loaded, but it is interesting the note that it could be as high as 35 - 40%.

This is all very good information, assuming I correctly understood what you meant. Please respond.

And thanks again!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I can't disagree with your figures re the other goodie, assuming your other weights are right. Everything I put into the unit goes into the basement which, in my thinking, would add to the hitch weight as it is in front of the axles. This of course, does include everything in the bedroom closet, drawers, under the bed, bedroom TV. It all adds up.
There isn't a lot you can add inside the unit that will be behind the axles. There just ins't that much storage space back there.
Hope this helps.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote