Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #1
Harold & Teresa
Established Member

M.O.C. #248
Front Storage Door with Generator Prep

If you have the Hi-Gloss Fiberglass option and Generator Prep option is your front storage door Filon? Mine is this way and of course I didn’t notice it until our first outing. Seems strange that all other storage doors are HI-Gloss and this on is Filon. Dealer is saying this may possibly be the only way Keystone creates generator prep doors. I would like to hear from some of you guys before Dealer gets his answer from Keystone.

Harold & Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We don't have the hi-gloss option but did get gen prep on our 2980RL. Does your door have the venting for the generator? Ours doesn't and your post suggests that maybe it should have come that way.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
Harold & Teresa
Established Member

M.O.C. #248
Bill our front storage door does have the vent. You can see the vent here. http://home.centurytel.net/htjl/images/5.JPG I was trying to get the dealer to replace the door with one without the vent because I don't plan on installing a generator anytime soon (probably never) but they wouldn't do it. They told me it was a violation of some sort of regulation in the RV Industry. I don't like it because when you are pulling your RV in the rain your rear tires throw water up through the vent getting water in the compartment.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Harold & Teresa, There are times when I feel the dealers have no idea what they are talking about and this maybe one of them. I can understand a regulation for venting when a generator is involved but not if you have no intention of ever installing one. My suggestion is to call Montana (574) 535-2100 and ask them directly. At that time you can also get your Filon question answered as well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Harold

I have a 2005 3400RL with the generator prep but as you can see my front storage door has no vent.

http://tinypic.com/20ilog

John and Peggy
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Harold,
Maybe we should swap! We plan to have the genset put in either late this year or early '06. I'm going to call Montana on Monday to see what the deal is.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ours has the vent and the generator. our old one had no vent and no generator.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Harold:
We have a 3400rl and ordered it with the Gen. prep package. Our door didn't come with the vent. As the dealer had the Generator installed after it arrived at the dealership, it had the vent in it after the job was completed. After assessing the situation at the time when we went in to pickup our unit, it dawned on us that to have the vent open all the time while traveling down the road, it would permit rain and all sorts of things like bugs, etc. to enter through grill and generally mess up this compartment. So we asked the dealer if they could install a piece of filon to cover up the opening over the grill and they did. It has really helped and if we want to use the generator, we remove the cover and its open to allow the air for combustion. If you can't get anything resolved through Keystone, you can try something like this. Good luck in your endeavors.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
Harold
We bought our 2955RL 5er and had a onan 5500 Lp generator added at the dealer and we have no vent in our door at all it is in the bottom of the cabinet were the gen is installed
I have not notice any road debris in the cabinet or under the gen and i have drove about 5000 to 6000 miles of all kinds of weather
I think you should call Monty to find the truth
Montana_1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
I have the 3295 with generator prep. I also have a Honda 2000 generator. Can I use the Honda inside the front compartment, or am I asking for trouble?
alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #11
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
Quote:
quote:If you have the Hi-Gloss Fiberglass option and Generator Prep option is your front storage door Filon?
I didn't see any other comments on this. Our door was damage in transit and we are waiting for a replacement from the factory. If they sent a non-HiGloss door, I'd like to know if this is standard practice.
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Jayers,
What is that white stuff on the ground in your picture?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #13
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Stiles

That would be a little bit of snow. We had a lot more of it last week that why the 5er still at the Dealers hope to take it home next week.

John and Peggy
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have the 2955RL ours is generator prep, we do not have a door with a vent. It looks like the generator would vent from the bottom, but I am not sure.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:51 AM   #15
Harold & Teresa
Established Member

M.O.C. #248
*Update* First of all thank everyone for their replies. I called Keystone this morning and was disappointed in their response. My main concern is the yellowing of the non-High-Gloss door that in my experience is going to happen over the years. As everyone knows the High-Gloss option is very pricy but I have noticed in the parks these RV's seem to maintain their new look much better than those without the high-gloss option and cleaning seems to be much easier. Anyway to make a long story short I was told Keystone does not manufacture a High-Gloss door for the front storage compartment. Seems very strange to me they would leave the 1 door non-High-Gloss. I did explain my concern to the customer service rep and she documented it. Hopefully Keystone will review this issue for future customers.
I did ask them as well regarding the vent. They told me if the trailer comes from Keystone with Generator-Prep the front door should be vented.

Harold.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Harold, did they say that the vented front locker door does not come in hi-gloss or did they say no front locker door comes in hi-gloss, vented or not?

After reading your post I got out of my chair and went outside and doublechecked ours. It is hi-gloss but ours is not vented. So maybe that's the difference. We do not have the gen prep.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:38 AM   #17
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I just got off the phone with Craig in Owner Relations at Keystone. The vented door is an option in addition to the regular gen-prep option. Of course this was never even brought up when we ordered our rig at the show, even though there was a Montana/Keystone factory rep sitting in (I think Charles Wade). My comment to Keystone is why not make the vented door a part of the gen prep package? That would be a lot easiier than trying to make sure that dealers remember it as an option, especially since it's not listed in the options section of their brochure. Now it's one more thing to remember to get when it comes time for us to get our generator.

I believe the reason a vented door is needed is so that there is complete air circulation when the generator is running. While the gen space is open to the bottom, you need both ingress & egress for the air to make it really circulate and keep the generatior cool.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:57 AM   #18
Harold & Teresa
Established Member

M.O.C. #248
*Update*
Steve after your reply I contacted Keystone again and they are going to replace the front door with one with the high-gloss option. I think I must have confused the first customer service rep I spoke to. I have a tendency to do that. Thanks Keystone another reason I own a Montana and this is my 3rd Keystone product.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:34 AM   #19
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
I had the generator put in when bought my monty. They had to order the generator kit from keystone. It included a new vented door (it is of the same material as all the rest of the access doors). I found that it allows dust to enter when I'm on dirt roads, so I have made a Velcro cover, and put it on in dusty situations. But I sure love my ONAN generator, I couldn't get along without it.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote