Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Portable Water Filters

After our last RV trip we decided that the purchase of a water filter would be a great thing to have. Some of the water was pretty nasty.

Looking for some information and recommendations from the MOC.

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Marge, I put a 3m, single water filter under the kitchen sink. This filters only the cold water at this tap as I didn't want to filter all the water for the monty. This is were we get water to drink from as well cook. The unit cost around $80.00 and the replacement filter is around $ 37.00 filter.
I think next year I wiil buy one of the filter units from Wal Mart $36.00 and put it on the exterior to filter the water comming in and the replacement cartiages are only around $7.00.
I will still maintarin the one under the sink as it works great and the Mariette says so.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I put a filter under the kitchen sink as well as this is the only place that we drink water from. Got my 3m filter setup from Wally World. EZ to install and change filters. Just have to include it in the winterizing checklist.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We use a water filter from Lowes. Replacement cartridges are inexpensive and easily gotten.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We use the reverse osmosis system from lowes. Installed under sink and gives bottle water quality.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_129808-43353...d=10151&rpp=24
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Some food for thought on water filters. First off, reverse osmosis uses too much water, fine for home, not RV or Boats. I know I'm going to hear from the "we only drink bottled water crowd", but humor me and follow me through.

Over the years, some 40 plus years of operating rv's, and cruising boats, I have found that a two filter set up is ideal. The outside, filter everything filter, is a sediment only filter. It is one of the string wound variety. The inside, filter only what you drink and cook with filter, is a carbon filter designed to remove the taste of chlorine or in some cases the cloramonia that water authorities use to insure water purity as delivered. If you are really worried about contaminants, meaning the campground water source is unknown or from a local well, then you can move up to a higher quality filter in the $50+ cartridge area that is designed to take out heavy metals and other nasty possibilities followed by a UV treatment, or by all means, use bottled water if that makes you feel comfortable.

Now for the why of all of this. Municipal water authorities deliver water that has been treated with the mentioned chlorine of chloramonia, and it tastes terrible, but won't hurt you. It makes no sense to remove these chemical treatments when filling your tanks or at the point of entry. Keep the chemicals in the water supply until you are ready to use it. It keeps everything stable and purified until it is ready for use. Remove it at the faucet.

In the case of my boat operation, the water tanks had inspection plates, and in using this system, the inside of the tanks were always clean, slime free, no odor, and no pump clogging impurities. It works for me. Again, food for thought.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have a whole house filter outside with a carbon cartridge for taste and odor and a Brita attachment on the kitchen faucet. The Brita filter can be turned on and off so we can just filter what we want.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I suggest going to the www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. It not only gives you more information then you probably want but also will sell you any system you feel suites your specific needs.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
x2 on the rvwaterfilter store. We use a two filter system we bought from them and hose we bought from them and have been very happy with the set up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
mainer,thank you for bringing this up. I was just going to ask the same question. I purchased a camco inline filter from walmart this year, it is a charcol filter style. I thought it would keep everything clean inside. But after the water sat in the head for a week,it left a fine film in the bowl. I thought the filter is supposed to clear this up,but it did not.So is it better to get a two stage filter on the outside? or what? where we camp mostly it is well water,that is treated,it looks like maybe it is iron in the water but there is no smell.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We use the Walmart filter mainly to remove sediment and 2 General Ecology Seagull IV filters one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen and both have their own faucets. We put one in the bathroom where we brush our teeth, take vitamins and meds and get a drink if needed at night
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use the double, jumbo filters from the rv water filter store and an additional under sink filter in the kitchen with a seperate spicket. Remember you usually brush your teeth in the bathroom and that should be filtered also. I would go with the best you can afford as there is nothing worse than dysentery on the road. The folks at the rv water filter store are very helpful and are always eager to help. This is just my opinion......No problems in four years of travelling all over the US.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We recently purchased a water softener from Camping World to use in Arizona this winter. We don't use the water out of the trailer system,but instead use bottled water for drinking and making coffee.The plastic makes for a horrible taste from the trailer. Also don't want to be buying filters all the time. We buy our bottled water when its on sale and only use it when RV'ing.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been using water out of our fresh water tank for 11 years full time and have never had a "taste" problem. However, we do put in 2 oz of Pyrogene purifier with each fill. Could be the answer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote