Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
DVD Player Died

I must have gotten a voltage surge recently that fried our DVD Player. We have to replace it but cannot find an exact copy. Does anyone know what brand the (*&^%$ thing is? And...is it 8 or 3 ohm impedance?

Any replacement DVD player/receivers all come as complete units with speakers, woofer, etc. We are still trying to figure out where to find a replacement.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine died in our 3075 recently also. No name on the unit, remote, or manual. I seem to remember someone on here posting the brand name in some long ago post.
I did not do an extensive internet search, but in the stores all I could find was the DVD/home theater systems complete with new speakers. That was fine as I was not impressed with the stock speakers anyhow. Problem was I could not find speakers the same size as the originals. I ended up buying a Panasonic blu-ray DVD/home theater system from Best Buy as we had a number of blu-ray movies. It also has FM receiver and ipod dock. They also had Sony, Samsung, and LG. The Panasonic was the closest in size to the base unit and speaker size I could find. Even so, I had to modify the cabinet some by making the openings larger to get the new speakers in. I suppose I could have used the existing speakers. I did not check to see if the speaker ohms were correct to do so. But the new speakers sound better than the old ones.
The rear speakers were a minor problem also. The new ones did not have the threaded hole in the back to mount them to the existing brackets. So I cut some 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide aluminum bar (from Home Depot) about 2" long and made some tabs to attach to the back of the speakers. I used machine screws plus some double sided tape to make sure it held the speakers well. Then attached those to the ceiling brackets with holes I drilled in the tabs. Painted the tabs black and you cannot see them at all.
I could not find a unit that would support the additional bedroom speakers. I may get a special A-B speaker switch to allow me to select those. But I only used them when playing my ipod anyway, so not a big deal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
lasater, IF you are looking for an exact replacement, you might try your dealer and have him contact Keystone. Otherwise you will probably have to swap out. We went with a Yamaha Receiver and Sony Blu Ray/DVD player. The receiver can accept multiple speaker inputs and does many other things. We went with the Bose speaker system and the cube speakers nearly fit into the existing holes. I had to ream them out a tad. We put additional speakers above the rear window in each corner under the overhead cabinets. Our receiver is a 7.1 so we get plenty of sound and effects. Sometimes you gotta think "out of the box" as they say. I just don't know how much room you may have in your ent ctr. Even if you can get the original, you will probably lose it also, eventually.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just park next to Phil and have him turn his TV toward the window. You'll here it just fine.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had ours replaced on warranty twice. By the time the second replacement arrived I had put in Bose speakers and a Pioneer receiver/amp 5.1 and a Pioneer Upconverting DVD player. Away better than what comes with the Montana.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Brad, I'm in the process of replacing mine right now. I purchased a Samsung HTZ320 home theater w/ speakers

The only models I could find without speakers were customer rated very poor so i didn't consider them. (Amazon has one model)

The impedance of the unit we all have is 4 to 6 ohms so I suspect the subwoofer is probably 6 ohms and the other speakers are 4 ohms.

If you want to have audio in the bedroom, there are several 7.1 systems that have a speaker selection control that divides the speakers 5.1 and 2. There is a Panasonic model that offered that feature but it seems everyone was sold out when I ordered.

Some models have AM/FM tuners, some have FM only but most models do not offer a tuner.

Since we are about to hit the road for several months, I will take the new unit along and just marry it to the old speakers while we are on the road and worry about installing the new speaker when we get home and the temps drop to a level where I can work in the trailer without melting.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I purchased the around $150 Wal-Mart RCA Home Theater Pkg to replace/upgrade my original unit that never powered all the speakers or could receive FM Radio signals.
I just hooked up the RCA unit to all the existing speaker wires and speakers in the RV, except for the subwoofer. I got rid of the original subwoofer and used the RCA one which fit behind my replacement flatscreen on the Tray the original Tube TV stood.
So I have a bunch of spare RCA speakers if any one needs any!
The new RCA Home theater has DVD upgraded via HDMI, which works great and I can get FM Radio now too.
I did give up having the bedroom speakers powered as there aren't enough outputs like the original RV unique unit had, but we never used the bedroom speakers anyhow.
Good luck!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
So, I am not alone. We bought a Sony Blu-Ray with wire-less surround sound. Got most of it installed yesterday and will complete the surround-sound rear speakers today. By the way, we found out that the original unit was made by Odessey Electronics and that they are OUT OF BUSINESS. Finding an exact replacement sounds like pouring good money after bad. We have a 4-year warranty on the Sony (from Best Buy) that covers just about anything that can happen.

Phooey! We decided to stay a full month in Rapid City to save some money. However, $700 for a new blu-ray, $700 for a Mor-Ryde Pin Box, and $500 deductable to fix a fender bender on my new Dodge 3500 Big Horn...should have kept on going!!!
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good luck on your new system. We have a no-name 4000 and it took our 6 yr old grandson to tell us the dvd did not work. It showed "bad disc" all the time no matter what disc!! Probably will also have to pony up for a new system.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
D Lefevre
Established Member

M.O.C. #10268
I had to replace mine and ordered one from Keystone so it would fit where the old one was but when it can it did not fit so I had to modify the tray and put some velcro to hold it in place. So the one from Keystone may not fit yours.
D Lefevre is offline   Reply With Quote