Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Reese sliding hitch question

Hi. My driveway requires a tight angle for turning while backing up. The dealer said that the Reese fifth wheel slide should only be used while going forward in my 3400RL, not while backing. Looking over the literature, this doesn't seem correct. The front of the Montana was only two inches from my rear truck window...perilously close. Does anyone have experience with the Reese 16K and can you give me an opinion on this? Also, if you could give me the basic steps required to slide the hitch back, I'd appreciate it.

Wayne and Cathy Morrison

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by captbanjo

Hi. The dealer said that the Reese fifth wheel slide should only be used while going forward in my 3400RL, not while backing. Wayne and Cathy Morrison
This confuses me , are you talking about the hitch in the bed of your truck???? If so, how are you NOT supposed to use while backing up????

We have the 15k, and it is a breeze.

Not sure if this is what you mean, so I will wait any further to respond.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sounds a little dumb to me also. One of the main reasons for a slider is to maneuver into a campsite. I know they don't reccomend driving any distance or speed when slid back due to the front end being a little lighter due to the weight transfer.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the Reese slider and use it while backing up, going forward, etc. Not a problem. Ours is the 15K but the 16K is just a later (and maybe a little heavier) version of the same hitch. The Kwik-Slide part of it is the same on both, from my understanding. I use it only in situations like you describe, when needing to make a tight turn, forward or backward. I do not go down the road with the slider slid back but could do so if maybe will have to make several turns in a campground, at slow speeds.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Yes, the hitch in the truck bed. Do I understand properly that with the Reese 16K that if I'm making a tight turn in reverse that might damage the rear of my truck, then I need to set the hitch to the 'manuevering' position? It seems like a complicate procedure as I read the Reese manual. They want all tires chocked and the landing gear down before you do this.

Wayne

-----

This confuses me , are you talking about the hitch in the bed of your truck???? If so, how are you NOT supposed to use while backing up????

We have the 15k, and it is a breeze.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
The Kwik-Slide part of it is the same on both, from my understanding. I use it only in situations like you describe, when needing to make a tight turn, forward or backward. I do not go down the road with the slider slid back but could do so if maybe will have to make several turns in a campground, at slow speeds.
Boy do I feel dumb , I never knew nor was instructed in any way to do anything with that knob.
http://www.reese-hitches.com/16k_slider5thwheel.htm

Okay, mankind, step up to the plate. I need advise here. I just hook up n go. YIKES!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, I know they say to chock the wheels but that's a real pain and I confess I don't do that. What I do is get the Montana and truck aligned as perfectly straight as I can eyeball, then move the handle to **just before** the maneuvering position (I think the manual says to do it that way). Then I put the truck in gear with foot on brake pedal. Pull the brake controller manual slider to apply trailer brakes. Take foot off brake pedal and let the truck move forward until it reaches the end of slider travel and the handle locks in. Sometimes I have to apply a bit of throttle (careful, very loud bang at end of travel if you apply too much travel). I then make sure the handle is locked in maneuvering position. To return the slider to the towing position, just reverse the above. This may not be the "right" way but it works for me. If any trouble getting the slider to break and slide using this approach, lubricate the slider rails and shoot lube in every opening you can find on the slider, including up underneath.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Wayne, I know they say to chock the wheels but that's a real pain and I confess I don't do that.
What does that mean, "chock the wheels?"

We were shown to unlock the lever, back up and the lever comes out all on it's own and returns when RV is in place. Then lock the lever. I need some MAJOR instructions.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, "chocking the wheels" just means blocking them so the trailer won't move, just like when you set up the Montana during the unhitching process. Sorry, I should have explained it better. I'll see if I can find some online instructions for you.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, I've not found any instructions online (yet). I did see something that makes me think the newer reese sliders operate a bit differently. One dealer's writeup just says to release the handle, set the trailer brakes, move the truck until it locks in. Sounds a lot better than my older one. Sorry I'm not much help on this. Maybe someone who still can find their manual and has a fairly recent kwik-slide can quote the instructions for using it.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:

Sue, I've not found any instructions online (yet). I did see something that makes me think the newer reese sliders operate a bit differently. One dealer's writeup just says to release the handle, set the trailer brakes, move the truck until it locks in. Sounds a lot better than my older one.
Ya, that's how we were shown how to do it!!!! If someone thinks I am missing something, please inform me before I find out the hard way.......
Old 07-06-2004, 05:45 AM   #12
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Sue, reading the posts, Steve is talking about sliding the hitch with the RV already hooked up, not hooking and unhooking the RV. Is everyone on the same page, or is it me thats in left field?
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:06 AM   #13
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Sue and steve , here is the instructions for the Draw Tite slider, ( the Reese and Draw Tite are almost exactly the same )

http://65.196.229.70/pdf/N6035.pdf

This is the same hitch that I use.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good resource, Kenny. I've downloaded and saved it. Sue, I was referring to sliding the hitch with Montana attached, as Kenny says. If you don't have a shortbed truck with the Kwik-Slide slider then it doesn't apply to you. The hitch with Kwik-Slide has two handles, one for the hitch itself and one for the Kwik-Slide. This manual Kenny provided a link to shows what we're talking about and has step by step instructions for using the slider.
Thanks Kenny.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:23 AM   #15
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Your welcome!!! glad I saved it, I have that hitch in mine (now a long bed) I never use the slider now with the extra room, but I plan on hanging on to it, never know when I may end up with another short bed truck.
Not sure how the Reese/Draw Tite deal works, if there is one, but when I swapped trucks one time I left the rails in the old truck, and the rail kits for Reese and Draw Tite are the same part numbers I think, because the rail kit I have is Reese, but the hitch is a Draw Tite, and look the same side by side. And I was told most of the parts are interchangable.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:09 AM   #16
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Thanks for the hitch info Steve. Now, do you (or anyone else)know if the hitch has to be in the forward position to disengage from the trailer? I was thinking that if one were to back into a camp site (as I will hopefully do successfully tomorrow) then the hitch might be in the back (manuevering) position. Can I just follow the usual procedure for disengaging with the hitch in the manuevering position or should I put the hitch back in the towing position?

Wayne
Old 07-07-2004, 04:14 AM   #17
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
captbanjo, nope, you can couple and uncouple the RV from the hitch in either position, does not matter. actually with the hitch in the manuvering position, it gives you more room between the tailgate in the down position and the front of the RV in case your not completely straight when unhooking.....i have actually been at a 25 to 30 deg angle hooking and unhooking at times.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:04 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with Kenny. Just be sure it's locked into the maneuvering position and don't forget to move it back to the towing position after you hitch up and get out of the site again. Makes sense to me to just leave it, ready for hitching up again.