Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Arrival checklist

Well, I did it again.
I backed into the spot and unhooked from the TV. Then I realized my livingroom slide was too close to the water spicket so it would dent that slide "again" - another story.
I had to hook back up and pull forward 18".

Recomendation. - When you park check the following first
Hitch bubble level
Power cord will reach
Water line will reach
Sewer line with reach
Slides (all) will extend
Television antenna can extend (if needed)

If you move the trailer then go back and recheck the list from the top.

It just decreases the set up time and saves small dings.
Safe travels
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I heard that!

Good advice.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
What's that other story!!!!

I have NOT done what you recommended. I was two inches short once on the electrical hook up. That's a good check list that I'll have to remember.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have the handle of our broom marked with permanent marker so that we can quickly measure for clearance to open the slides. It has been real handy on a few occasions. I have only needed it twice, but we carry a 10' extension for the 50 amp anaconda. For me, that's better than having to roll out a longer one every time.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

John,
What's that other story!!!!

I have NOT done what you recommended. I was two inches short once on the electrical hook up. That's a good check list that I'll have to remember.
Same campgrounds. I parked, check everything and all was clear. Then we decided to square the trailer on the site and moved it to do so. I did not check again. Unhooked, and as the slides were going out I heard a thump and then a louder one. The water pipe with faucet caught the tin flange on the bottom of the slide about three inches in. It snapped back and has just a small crease now.
Been there, done that, got the T shirt and (as the Aussies say - SOLD IT).
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
John,
Good list and reminders. We also hook up the power before unhitching to make sure we have good power. Had a "dead post" once. Just to be sure?!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Check lists are good. We have done it so many times that it is easy to not consult the check list. Almost got into trouble a couple of times. There are just too many things to check not to use a list, things like, "connect the sewer before putting the slides out" or crawl under the slide to make the connection. Sequence is everything.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

We have the handle of our broom marked with permanent marker so that we can quickly measure for clearance to open the slides.
I do basically the same thing only I use the rod that poles out the awning. I have four pieces of tape on the rod marking how far each slide comes out...since they all come out different amounts.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

We have the handle of our broom marked with permanent marker so that we can quickly measure for clearance to open the slides.
I do basically the same thing only I use the rod that poles out the awning. I have four pieces of tape on the rod marking how far each slide comes out...since they all come out different amounts.
I've found that when I back in and go back to check my distance between the rig and any obstruction, if I extend my left arm with fingers touching the slideout, then view the area back to the rear with my right eye, it turns out that it's just the right distance. I used to use a broom handle but my arm is always readily avaliable.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #10
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I keep a 1/4" dowel in the driver side bay. I figure I have to open that to ret/ext the jack legs and so I grab the dowel as we pull in. I have it marked with the kitchen slide and the entertainment slide to make sure it clears and I have room. I was setting up last weekend after a short trip and was checking distances when a neighbor came over to ask what I was doing. I showed him my dowel with markings and he thought a good idea. He pulled in, unhooked, just to realise his slide was to close to the water valve. It seems to be alway something.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
I have done that many times myself and will probably continue to do it unless I use your check list. Another thing that I have done is leave the RV keys in the computer space under the TV after closing up all sides. Thanks for the advice. I'll use your check list.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote