Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
New Dell Laptops

Dontcha know things break and they don't last forever so 2 new laptops were purchased Tuesday afternoon. Now I had them expedited so that they would be here ASAP. To Dell that means shipped Friday (today GOOD) by DHL ground (BAD). Yep they are shipped ground even though I told them to ship 2 Day. I have to love corporate America.

Now for all of you that are using wireless a,b,g,and now n has it been worth having?
Or is it something that I will not use outside of our office?

I remember a while ago someone crashed and needed a new laptop and said the only thing they could find was Vista. I ordered these and had my choice XP or Vista. I chose XP as everything is there (drivers)and no trouble getting driver for new printers etc.

XP is still the base in business OS. Vista or the next generation MS OS will replace XP someday but I believe its still a couple of years away.
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Going wireless, according to all the tech info that crosses my desk at work, seems to be the going thing for home and work. But, I think the convenience of a wireless connection needs to be balanced against the availability of a dependable connection where you might be when you need it. Where I live, the wireless option isn't available most places. I wish it were; when I was at a conference in Seattle recently, every classroom supported wireless technology--what a treat!

Thumbs up for Dell and thumbs up for XP. I'm going to buy a new laptop before the year is out, so I've been closely following the Vista vs. XP debates in several tech magazines and on the internet. So far I can see no reason to embrace Vista, especially since the people I know who've done it find that most, if not all, of their hardware (digital cameras, printers, etc.) don't work with Vista. I know--Microsoft says "download the patch" or "download the new Vista driver" for those things, but that doesn't work all the time.

I'm also a huge Mac fan and have had everything from the Mac Classic to the Apple Titanium PowerBook I use now. But, I also have a Dell desktop that I'm quite fond of--didn't want it, had to have it for some medical transcription programs, love it now. (I was a Mac snob, I'll admit it.)

I'm a wee bit concerned about Dell, however. We're from Austin and have been following the recent Dell layoffs there and continuing outsourcing of Dell desktop production. I hope the company can reorganize effectively and continue to be a reliable name in the computer game.

Although I am a Mac fan, its products are quite a bit more expensive than are comparable Dell units. Dell's prices, along with the stable XP OS, were the very things that have made me adjust my "Macs only" mentality. I'm happy with XP and hope that Microsoft listens to the public outcry against having Vista forced on new PC buyers. So long as buyers can choose between XP or Vista, everyone will be happy. But if Microsoft actually follows through on its threat to drop XP before the end of the year, I'll start looking at Macs again.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Your two new laptops should come with the built in wireless connectivity. I'd be surprised if they did not. You don't have to use the wireless, but it is there if you need it. You can use the built in Ethernet Adapter. I have been using this Toshiba Satellite laptop since 2005. It has built in wireless. I have a wireless Lynksys router in the other room, so I sit here in the easy chair semi watching television while reading this wonderful forum. It also has been my Internet connection when on travel, and only if wireless is available. I would not be without it.

I also have an iMac 24 in the other room (It has built in wireless but I have not used it yet) and a Compaq PC that I have had for 5 years or so running XP.

I do like the iMac, but there is limited access to software. The software market is the PC and there is a much broader availability of software for the PC. Student edition of MS Office for the MAC was only $129. Not to many of us need the full blown business version of MS Office. The iMac, so far, has had all the generic software that I would need to use for video/photo and the quality for those items is considerably better than the standard PC.

200 years ago when i was teaching computers for adult education at a local junior college I used to state that if all you wanted to do was simple word processing and calculations, go with a PC. But, if you were heavy into graphics, go with a MAC. I still think that holds true.

I'll just have to stay with both platforms to fulfill my needs (read that "desires."

You won't go wrong having the wireless and using it when it is available. If you don't have it and want it, you can always go with one of the portable USB ones, or an aircard.

Edited: Depending on who you talk to, you will hear differences of opinion on Vista. One friend of mine who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to computers, said Vista is the cream of the crop. Others have said it is a piece of dirt. I have never used Vista so I cannot make a comparison. I like XP and have had very little trouble in using it, or the applications I have loaded into it.

AS for the Model. They are all good. Some have proprietary software that I don't particularly like. Some have proprietary hardware that is difficult to get around in. As for repair, any good computer shope (Best Buy, Circuit City, Etc.,) can repair and trouble shoot software even if a company were to go out of business and stop offering support.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dianna and I each have a laptop. We have a wireless router and a wireless printer. So the laptops and the printer are networked through the router. There are several brands of wireless router. I have used Linksys and now use Cradlepoint.

To the router you connect whatever internet connection you are using. Cable or DSL or satellite is attached to the router with an ethernet connection. Linksys was good for this type of internet source. When we moved to a wireless modem (Verizon, ATT, Sprint), we needed a modem that would handle an "aircard" connection. The Cradlepoint router will handle different types of aircard and also ethernet.

Since we full time it is important to us to be able to connect to whatever service is available when we are out of the Verizon service area. It is also desirable to be able to print without being connected to the printer and to do so independently of one another, i.e., Dianna can print a document and I can send a document to the printer while hers is still printing. Through the wireless router, we are both on the internet simultaneously with the single wireless Verizon modem.

Long answer to say "yes, I think the a, b, g, & n are worth having.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
This is what I've been told over the last 3 years by Dell: The business servers, & pc with upgraded support will be handled here in the US. The consumer priced pc & laptops found in Walmart etc will have there technical questions handled by various parties (read out sourced to India). This is another reason that I continue to buy business quality laptops so that I can communicate with a person which I understand (speaks & understands our English language).
Chuck
ps DHL says delivery Tues 4-15-08
Dell still has not shipped the 2nd laptop.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Chuck,
I too still have XP on a few laptops as well as a few desktops in the office. I decided to stay away from Vista for a while. Both the laptops came with built-in wireless and run fine when close to the wireless router.

My experience with Dell having purchased a few dozen machines has been excellent. I agree, the US support and business class machines is important. Part of why I like Dell is that I can purchase the machine with the OS that I want, the exact hardware configuration and only the software that I will use. Avoiding the "India" support is key.

On edit, regarding the Mac thing, I started using an Apple IIe before the PC was out. I went kicking and screaming into the PC world in the mid '90's as our industry was finally evolving such that I had to change. I still miss my Macs. DW & I recently got a couple of IPhones that make me miss the Mac OS even more....

I recently purchased 2 external devices to assist with reception for CG's WIFI, one is EnGenius High Power USB WiFi Adaptor, the other is a Cantenna Antenna. I haven't installed them yet so I can't comment on their operation. I found this info on RV net and anxious to try it as I like to extend weekends by telecommuting.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
When I was working, I purchased hundreds of Dell machines. I have always used Dell, and in the past have been very happy with their performance, but not the technical support (India) or the ease of getting around on the Dell website.

Eighteen months ago, I purchased a new 17" Inspiron laptop from Dell for personal use. I never bought the $300 warranty. This is a new machine and there should have been no reason for hardware failure.

2 months ago, when I turned it on, there was nothing.....no video display, this one had failed...the video adapter did not display. (never dropped or abused in any way).. I contacted Dell and they would repair it, their estimate, without knowing what the real problem could be was between $200 and $500 dollars to repair (blank credit card account upfront)....but no set figure for an estimate, I was stuck, had to go with their plan.

They sent a box and I shipped it back to them. They were very speedy and within a week, I had my repaired laptop returned and it worked perfectly.

Looking at my Visa bill, they charged the higher figure of $500.

My complaint with Dell? Why should a new computer video display go bad in 18 months???? What video display ANYWHERE of any kind (with labor to repair) cost $500? It is a scam to buy their extended service plans, but the bigger scam is the way they stand behind their product...you know, the one they supposedly produced!

Laptops these days are laptops, don't let Dell's marketing tell you that their machines or service after the sale is any better than anyone else's.

BTW, most Dell components are not made in the US, the machines are assembled in the US from parts made overseas.

Goodbye Dell, I will never purchase another machine from you....guess you won't be figuring out why your market-share is dropping.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Robbie the inspiron today is a consumer or home user product. Home user pcs are selling for 5 to 700. Latitude is 1350 and 1600 plus the next day response & accidental breakage is 250 (i Believe quotes at the office). This brings my total to 1600 & 1850 well worth the peace of mind for 3 yrs. This is why I went with the Latitude business machine and always will. I usually feel that the extended warranty or service plan is worth 25 to 33% of the cost of the product. Then I decide if I can live with the down time until I purchase another product.

Robbie please tell me what pc you plan to buy that have components not made overseas. Atleast Dell is assembled here in the US. And as I previously stated there support is based here for business, but you have to pay for a higher priced product to get it (US Support).

Dells market drop is no different than any other business in the US. over the last 12 months our economy has plummeted. If the consumer confidence in this country doesn't return look forward to the economic history of the 70s replaying. Right now our economy stinks.
An un popular war equaled to world unrest, whereas today USSR is not in the same condition it was in the 70s. thus the US it the only large player in world peace.

This was Reagans biggest mistake taking down USSR. Leaving the US as the only world power once USSR was gone.

I Hope & Pray we will someday have Quality canidates running for office. So I don't have to say I'll vote for the lesser of the 2 evils, knowing that I don't LIKE either 1!
Chuck
PS Admin if this is to political I apologize, and I give you permission to delete this post.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Roy has a laptop and I have a desktop for my business. He just replaced his Dell with Toshiba and really likes it. The Dell fell apart, but he did abuse it to some extent. I bought an HP and I like it much better than the Dell and the support is very good.

Both of us purchased our computers from Office Depot with very large rebates, ridculously low prices after rebate for the quality we got.

We both have Vista, and after some problems with my software and saying I hated it, I find I like it and it is not as terrible as I was told by others it would be.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
First, congrats on your purchase!

You know me, have to throw in my 2 cents. I have had 2 Dell laptops. Will NOT have another. Bernie bought me both of them and neither last more than 13 months - 1 month after their warranty expired. And I was not going to pay the $ to fix it.

Bernie had a Gateway laptop that was abused and survived for over 5 years with no problems. The hinge that holds the screen actually broke and problems pursued from there. We ended up buying an inexpensive Acer from Best Buy because I'm sick of paying big bucks for laptops just to have them die on me.

My new philosophy, while not the best is, laptops are disposable.

As for the Vista v. XP debate. I hate Vista. None of our software will work. The patch didn't fix it. We ended up having to buy new software, printer, etc. We are looking at an Apple because it will run XP. Vista is nothing but a sham so we will have to spend money buying new sofware.

But that's just my 2 cents and I hope your Dell's are all you want them to be.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have 2 Inspirons, my 9300 and Betsy's 1505. Mine is a year older than hers. When I got them I got the Dumb Ass insurance, for coffee on key board, dropped on floor you get the idea and I got it for 4 years each. That stuff has saved my butt several times. My display developed a solid vertical line from top to bottom and then an additional 1 inch transparent line next to it. Dell sent a tech from Superior Wisconsin, about 100 miles two days later. He took 15 minutes to replace the whole display(screen) and was gone. I love it.. I also got the same service plan for my daughters new 1505 for college and her display started leaking, she called, they shipped a new one to her and they even talked her through the install. 4 months later the keyboard went out, read diet coke, and they shipped her anew on in two days again. Same deal they talked her through the install. I never expected that kind of service from Dell. As I stated in the bail-out-bag posting I back-up both units periodically. So if I crash a HD before or after the warranties go south I still have a start point for the new laptop... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I buy my puters from Costco, they come with a 2 year warranty and if you don't like it you can return it within 90 days for a full refund.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
My point is that if you buy a quality product, pay good money for it, it should not break under normal wear-and-tear. In my opinion, all the components should continue to work on any computer in that short amount of time if it is not abused. If it doesn't live up to my standards, I'll look for an alternative. In my situation, Dell let me down.

Shouldn't a manufacturer warranty the product they build without having to buy additional insurance from them?

lwcdg, yes the instpiron machines are the consumer quality machine, I usually trade-up every couple of years, so not spending the extra money helps my budget.

I always purchased Dell Latitude machines for business, they were sturdier, took more abuse and came with a better guarantee. Now, I have to watch my own bucks and opt to not pay the higher price for the Latitude....perhaps I get what I pay for....but, I do stand by the statement in the first paragraph.

Like Tammy, I think I'll take her lead, will buy a cheaper machine and trade-up more often.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
My point is that if you buy a quality product, pay good money for it, it should not break under normal wear-and-tear. In my opinion, all the components should continue to work on any computer in that short amount of time if it is not abused.

Yes under normal conditions it should but as we know it's all man made and nothing is normal so these things break. It's just a numbers game like life insurance and those numbers.

If it doesn't live up to my standards, I'll look for an alternative.

your decision.

In my situation, Dell let me down.

yes I agree but if you know what your buying your expectations won't be set too high

Shouldn't a manufacturer warranty the product they build without having to buy additional insurance from them?

they did they gave a manufactures warranty for a specific timeline. they Dell in this case ran the numbers and saw the failure rate start to climb after "x" date thus their time for warranty.

lwcdg, yes the instpiron machines are the consumer quality machine, I usually trade-up every couple of years, so not spending the extra money helps my budget.

I understand budgets are something we all need to live within. unfortunately your machine is 1 of those that only made it past the initial factory warranty. I've had things like this in the past but I don't quit buying from that company because of 1 experience when I've had many better experiences with them.

I always purchased Dell Latitude machines for business, they were sturdier, took more abuse and came with a better guarantee. Now, I have to watch my own bucks and opt to not pay the higher price for the Latitude....perhaps I get what I pay for....but, I do stand by the statement in the first paragraph.

Like Tammy, I think I'll take her lead, will buy a cheaper machine and trade-up more often.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since this fits your needs, this is the correct choice for you.

My only other thought is if we as consumers continue to have this mind set of cheaper ... throw away and rebuy are we further ahead?
or
are we sending more and more of our $ overseas thus driving the middle class out of existance.

Superstores eroded downtown US by flooding the market with cheap goods. Now downtowns almost anywhere are boarded up or empty to some degree. What do you like better?
Chuck
Old 04-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I like Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org) and use them in my beginning research on a good, better, best product. So far they have been correct.

So much of the technology is manufactured in the same plant and a different sticker put on for specific company distribution. Lots of items in this world are manufactured that way. One factory, one set of molds and only one die cast change for Seller.

Edited: The last paragraph is my theory!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote