Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Orville Schinke

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #22
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

Alittle of question, but before I open up my fireplace to check, is there a blower fan in the fireplace heating assembly. It does not seem that the heat comes out our fireplace as strong as it should. It is hot in front of the metal grates but it takes awhile to heat up the living room area. With an outside temp of 45 degrees and the fireplace on our heater still keeps kicking on fairly often with the thermostat set at 68 degrees.
A little off topic but...
Jim and Carol our fireplace works about the same so I pulled it out and took off the top. There is a rather large squirrel cage fan that looks like it is working as designed, a little low on air flow but it helps do the job.

It is in the low 20s and night and getting to the low 30s in the day here. we use the fireplace heater and a ceramic heater but leave the propane heater on also. We make sure that the propane heater is going on and off as I have now seen 4 rigs freeze up and split holding tanks in the last week here in the park. Old rigs with tanks open to the air.

At night we turn off the fireplace and run the propane and the ceramic heaters, but we also close the bedroom door and shut the floor vent to keep it cold in there for sleeping. The bedroom gets down to abut 55 deg. I will let every one know if we have any problem when it gets closer to 0 deg. in January or February. This is our last winter in the cold. Horray...horray.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also use a radient, oil filed, heater. It has three settings,Low,Med, High. It is quiet, uses less power since it has no blower and does a good job in heating.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #24
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
How is 9000 gals for you
I drag this down the road for fun and profit!!, and still have to pay for it when I need propane.

[/img]
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
Y-ASK
Established Member

M.O.C. #7754
That's your idea of fun huh! Looks kind of dangerous to me ... I hope all your trips are a safe one!

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #26
Blord
Established Member

M.O.C. #7545
We use the fireplace and I put a heat strip in the bedroom a/c. The heat strip is nice for knocking the chill off in the mornings. When we go to bed we make sure the furnace is on to give heat during the night and keep the plumbing heated.

With the fireplace, it will heat the room faster if you turn on the ceiling fan blowing upwards. That moves the hot air above and makes it roll down the walls.
Blord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #27
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Regarding fireplace usage, is there any chance of damaging the entertainment center directly above it from prolonged use?

Thanks,
John Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John Bowers

Regarding fireplace usage, is there any chance of damaging the entertainment center directly above it from prolonged use?

Thanks,
John, in my unit I have not had a problem as the heat goes out the front and then up to the ceiling and the top of the fireplace does not get hot. With that said the front of my television (ViewSonic) gets up to about 105 deg the other day when I checked it. That is directly below the stereo equipment. No problems yet.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Same here. I have my 32 in Sharp Aquos right over my fireplace, and when the fireplace is on, the heat flow is deflected out away from the surface of the TV - and the TV even sits out about 4 inches away from the wall with the wall mount setup I have.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #30
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dave,

Can you post a picture of your TV with mount and as it is sitting in the cabinet? Would love to see it.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #31
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have used our fireplace a lot and sometimes 24/7. We have had no problems with the entertainment center from heat.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #32
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
The times that we have used our fireplace heater for an hour or more I have noticed that narrow wood trim piece across the top of the fireplace seems to get very warm. Aside from that, it doesn't seem to effect the entertainment center.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #33
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I need to put an exhaust fan in the entertainment cabinet, not because of the fireplace but because of the electronics. In the cabinet along with the stock DVD/Receiver I also have a DVR, Hughes modem, WIFI router,900 watt APC unit,(battery backup for everything) and it gets pretty warm in there if the doors are closed when everything is on. The fireplace works great and with the ceiling fan reversed it heats the living room up very nicely even when we were still in Wisconsin in the 19 degree weather. When it was that cold we set the furnace at 55 and closed the bedroom floor vent(replaced with adjustable vent). I replaced two of the floor vents with adjustable vents so more heat went to the basement and kept that stuff warm. So yes the fireplace works great and no it doesn't affect the entertainment center... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote