Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sofa/Sleeper Removal

I will be removing our Sofa/sleeper that came in our '06 3400RL when we get to Arizona. My question is: Am I going to have trouble getting it out the door? It is the standard sofa that came in the '06 model. If it will not go out the door, is it possible to disassemble the dern thing??????

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I haven't taken any of them out of an RV but have moved them from house to house. It will probably work best to open it up so it's relatively flat and work the ends through the door.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil, Have not done this myself, but thinking about it you may need to stand it on end and work it through the door. May also need to remove the little legs. Carefull, don't need another hernia.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I know a couple of our members have replaced their standard RV sofa with an upgrade. One of them should be along shortly. Please let us know how this turns out. I have been wanting to do this for a while but I am not sure I can get the new sofa to fit in the same space.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No, Phil. You will not have a problem getting the couch out. I got mine out easily - Back comes right off - pull it straight up. Cushions come off and everything goes right out the door with two people and minimal effort.

Now... the hard part comes in trying to put that new sofa air bed back in... Cushions don't come off and it wasn't until three of us miraculously sweated this thing in through that poor little door, fully assembled, that we were informed that there were "secret" releases on the back sides of the back of the new couch......................

Not sure what you plan on replacing that couch with - if anything, but let me know if you are going to try to get that new airbed sofa in. My pain could very well be your gain.

*On Edit~ I must say that while moving that air bed around is not fun, We thoroughly enjoy it (grandkids). Well worth the time effort and $$...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Its true the back cushions come right off if you lift it straight up. All one piece, then carry out the bed portion. I replaced mine with a click clack futon which people that have slept on it say it is really comfortable with no bar digging in the middle of your back like the sofa bed. Alot lighter then the sofa bed too!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Ditto on ease of removal of stock sofa bed - ours slid right out the opening. We replaced with a dual recliner Lazy Boy love seat - exact fit right in. Of course, the backs came off the Lazy Boy and assembled back on the inside. BTW - we still have a new Desert Sunset queen sofa bed / matching swivel rocker - all wrapped in factory plastic - would make some one a real deal!
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I cheated. Ours came with the air bed couch. It has been used and has passed muster for comfort and ease of setting up. The only problem we have is that the neat storage drawer will come open during transit on occasion.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone, as usual the MOC comes through again. We are not planning on replacing it with anything. We will just have two recliners. One in back area and one where the couch is now. Want to free up some room and get rid of some weight. At least, that is today's plan. May change by the time we do it. I guess we can carry an inflatable air mattress if we need it. No grandkids yet so don't really need a bed. Will place a small desk in rear for my commputer and stuff. Will give us more dining area room also. A little tight there, as fulltimers we often dine at the table and would like to move it a little.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've had ours for over seven years and it's the worst thing ever for sitting on let alone sleeping on. We want to replace it with a couple "wall-away" seats or a "wall-away" love seat, if we can find those that will fit. I think we've located a store in Victorville, CA that can accomodate us and we'll be there in April. Anybody have any ideas?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Orv, we have replaced our sofa with a leather loveseat with two recliners. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We carry an inflatable air mattress for the grandkids' visit. Ours is just a stock loveseat and the back did come off so it was easy to get it into the rig.

Phil, we have an older sofa (2004) and had to put it on end to get it out the door. The $20 we paid each of the two furniture moving guys was money well spent.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #12
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Phil as others have said it shouldn't be that difficult at all. Yes, the back lifts off, cushions come off, also, you might want to remove the mattress before moving to reduce weight, but as we all know there is not much to those so called matts. I would recommend as well that you tie the mechanism in the closed position to the front rail of the sofa. Many of these have been known to flip open when turned on it's side while going through a doorway. The damage that these mechanism can do is not pretty.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Stiles--

Ours occasionally opened as well. A small wooden wedge solved the problem.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote