Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Any Big Sky questions?

I just received an email from Bill Tea at Town and Country RV in Clyde, Ohio announcing that he now has a Big Sky on his lot. We are going to see it next Saturday, March 17th.

If anyone has any questions or anything that they want us to check out on the Big Sky let us know. I'll post what I find out after the visit.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Town & Country is where we purchased our 3400. I would love to see the Big sky as We are curious to see if it is "different" than the 3400 in terms of..Quality, workmanship, fit and finish.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thnks for the offer Don. Can you get a dimension from the rear axle centerline to the back of the ladder. I would like to compare it with the one I got from Richfaa's 3400.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I looked at the new Big Sky a couple weeks ago at my dealer. The entire time I kept thinking to myself "this just looks like a 3400 but a little bigger with a better looking shower." I think I am missing something about the Big Sky.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Rich, on our first visit to T&C, they had a 3400 on the lot. If it is still there, I'll be able to make a good comparison.

Dick, I'll be sure to take a measuring tape with me. I'll let you know next week.

Okie Guy, the Big Sky as I understand it is supposed to be bigger and a little more plush than the Montana. I'll let you know whether I agree or disagree with that statement after I see it.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Okie,
I saw the new Big Sky two weeks ago, there are some things I liked and some I did not. I am waiting for my local dealership to get theirs so I can spend some time in it. At the moment, not sure what my final take on it is...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Big Sky 340RLQ, According to the published spec's weighs 795LBs more than the 3400, has 430lbs less CC, 105lbs more pin weight and is .6 inches shorter than the 3400(don't believe the .6 inches shorter)Without yet having seen one it appears that it starts life as a 3400 and is upgraded to a Big Sky.My guess is the extra weight is in better cabinetry, larger fridge and other upgrades Which is just fine but if the quality, workmanship, fit and finish are not a great deal better it may be hard to justify the additional expense.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am overwhelmed by the size of this unit. I did not mean to bash the unit. I think it is a great addition to the Montana Family. I think I had just built it up in my head to be something a lot more than it actually turned out to be. I stick by my guns that it is not worth the extra cash when it is so close to the 3400.

Today after spending some more time in the Big Sky at the RV Show I think I have changed my mind. I like the unit. The furniture is bigger than the other models, the shower is nicer than the regulars and storage out the wazoo. The one thing I am not crazy about is not having a divider between the bathroom and the bedroom. If they are going to build something this size we should be able to close off the shower from the bedroom.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Well, as soon as I finish this post we are heading out the door to see the Big Sky for the first time and compare it to the 3400RL. Having only researched only the information provided by Keystone and this forum, I cannot see any great difference between the two units that will sway my opinion at this point. There are some bigger and better things in the Big Sky, like the larger shower and refrigerator. The trade off is heavier weight and less carrying capacity. Bonnie likes the window in the water closet in the Big Sky, however there is no window over the sink in the kitchen. This is just opposite in the 3400. Lacking any noticable difference in the quality of workmanship, I think our decision will be based strickly on which unit makes us feel more comfortable.

We probably won't be home in time to make a report tonight. After our visit to T&C we will spend the rest of the day visiting friends in the area and probably won't get home until the wee hours of the morning.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We're still waiting to see one in person, also. Since they have upgraded the axles on the 3400 and it can carry more weight now, we have to decide if that outweighs the larger kitchen appliances and shower. Don't really care about the window in the bathroom. Don't really want to lose the storage over the table. Really like the glassed in shelves in the kitchen/lr area, but that certainly isn't worth a whole lot of money, LOL. Hopefully when one finally arrives in IL they will also have a 3400 so we can wander back and forth making a list of likes and dislikes and preferences and then just see which one "fits" us. Hope you had fun today. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have not seen a BS, but from the literature, most of the upgrades which come as standard are options on the 3400...so, if you get a loaded 3400, what is the difference?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Bert--in addition to the optional features that come standard on the Big Sky, you get the following items with a Big Sky that are not available with the Montana:

Large side by side 12 cubic foot frig/freezer
larger microwave/convection oven THAT IS NOT AN APOLLO!!!
larger water heater (12 gal.)
wall mounted dinette table that eliminates the pedestal (we like it--some people don't)
larger windows around the dinette (offset by loss of the cabinets above)
window in toilet area (offset by loss of window next to frig)
supposedly better carpet and residential padding
bigger LCD TV (32")
elimination of the "suicide" step near entry door (at cost of higher entry steps that some people don't like)
halogen reading lights under overhead cabinets
pull out pantry drawer between frig and oven
hi gloss gel coating that includes the basement doors
power awning
power rear stabilizer jacks

In addition to these and other "objective" differences, there are lots of cosmetic differences (what Rich calls eye candy--LOL) that will be of different value to different people. My wife particularly likes the following differences:

nice looking "marble" shower
pewter finish on plumbing fixtures
simpler, less flowery decor (at least with the Golden Vista we chose)
vanity with seamless molded sink rather than a sink that is set above the countertop
polished kitchen countertop
cherry crown molding and upgraded wood trim

As people have repeatedly noted on this forum, it's nice to have alternatives so that each can choose what is of value to them. To us, the extras in the Big Sky were worth the higher cost, particularly since we will be full timing for the next two years and will appreciate things like the larger frig and hot water heater that would be of less value to weekenders. And frankly, I will be happy if we avoid some of the problems that have been reportd with the standard Montanas, like the problems that have plagued the Apollo oven. Only time will tell on that.

Wish us luck!!!

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Thanks, David, very informative.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the storage area evens out. They removed some and added some. The large fridge is a big plus for the long timer and full timer as is the larger hot water tank. The shower encloser..priceless..And well Eye candy is in the eye of the beholder..
Old 03-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
If anyone is close enough to Kansas City, Naylors has a 3400 and 340 Big Sky literally side by side at the KC RV Show. Todays the last day, hours are from noon till 9pm (I think) at Bartle Hall downtown. Some things we liked better about the 3400 and some about the Big Sky. They're basically the same floor plan and the same size. The Big Sky weighs about 1000 lb. more. Other than all the things already mentioned the differences are pretty much individual preference. If we were going to live in it full time we'd probably pay the extra for the Big Sky. If we were just vacationing in it we'd opt for the 3400 and save the extra $ for running around money.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We were able to make a side by side comparison of the Big Sky and the 3400RL yesterday. Everyone who has posted to this topic has pretty much defined the differences between the two, so there is no need to repeat what they have said. Nothing stood out that would make either unit far outshine or outperform the other. The final choice between the two is going to come down to simply personal preference.

Our choice is going to be the Big Sky. Since we are going to full time in it, we like some of the larger capacities, such as the refrigerator and the hot water heater. The eye candy, as Rich says, is more appealing to us. We like the pewter look better than the black. We like the appearance of the lighting with the small globes rather than the bare bulbs on the 3400. The polished counter top in the kitchen looks sharper than the unpolished, flat top in the 3400. The shower stall and the bedroom sink have more of a stone appearance in the Big Sky rather than the plastic appearance in the 3400, although they are probably both made of the same or similar materials. We do like the window in the water closet. We don't like the loss of the window in the kitchen. This is not a tradeoff, however. With the larger refrigerator there is no room for the window. The permanently mounted dinette table does improve leg room under the table. We would like to have the pull out leaf like on the freestanding table in the 3400. Bonnie did not like the vertical blinds in in back of the Big Sky and asked if they could be traded for the shades currently in the 3400. The dealer thought that it would be possible. He added that Keystone has in the past agreed to including features from a lower priced unit into a higher priced one when requested. Apparently, they will not permit the reverse.

Having said all of this, if we were going to be weekend campers, or perhaps even long timers, we would have to think long and hard to justify the extra cost of the Big Sky. Again, it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Dick, I did not want the measurment you requested to get lost in my post above. The distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the back of the ladder on the Big Sky is 158 inches, 13'2". On the 3400RL, the same measurement was 162 inches, 13'6". Only a 4 inch difference.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:58 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DonaldandBonnie..Excellent evaluation of the Big Sky Vs the 3400.I would agree that there are some features in the big sky that are a positive for the long/full timer, wish we had the larger fridge and the extra hot water is a good thing.I joke about the "eye Candy" but it is a large consideration in purchasing what will be your home for long periods of time. If the big Sky had been available in its present configuration when we purchased I am sure we would have purchased it.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #19
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Dick, I did not want the measurment you requested to get lost in my post above. The distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the back of the ladder on the Big Sky is 158 inches, 13'2". On the 3400RL, the same measurement was 162 inches, 13'6". Only a 4 inch difference.
Thanks Don, now I can start the change in my parking area. That is as soon as I get over this &%$1% cold.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 AM   #20
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
We went back tothe RV show on Sunday to compair one last time. I have ot say the kitchen in the Big Sky makes the 3400 look like a toy. I have completely changed my mind and like the big sky better than the 3400 now. The Big Sky kitchen has the bigger 1/2 time oven and no window so you gain cabinet space. I didn't think this was a very big deal until we walked back over and looked in the 3400. It makes a big difference.

The only thing I would like to have seen in the big sky is a solid divider door between the bathroom and the bedroom.

Overall if your goign to long time or full time the Big Sky is worth the extra $10,000-$20,000. Just my opinion.