Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
Talking very warm wall on left of the refer

This is 2019 3120RL Montana
Anybody ever check the temp of the wall that goes from the counter on the right of the range up to the upper cabinet.
This "wall" separates the refer from the range.
I measured it at 119 degrees. other walls were at 89 degrees. Inside the cabinet was very warm too.
This is a Norcold 4 door refer (2118 maybe?) You know the one that the burner runs about 23 1/2 hours a day

raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Yes, mine is warm too. 104⁰F. Other walls 76⁰F.
If you pull out the drawers you will find "air gap" where the wiring runs through for the oven, range and microwave. Close it off with gorilla tape.
You can add fans to the outside of the top of the fridge area to blow the hot air out.
This will help keep your fridge cooler.
Lots of write ups on this topic if you do a search.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Just got my 3120 recently and have been playing with the Fridge. I have seen the mod for insulation at the top of the access door all the way across from side to side, but mine has a small fan drawing air from the door space and at the top of the coils I see 2 additional fans. I suspect the Mod would not be good for this setup as it seems the fans draw ambient air in through the access door.

On Gas, 12v and shore power the lowest the freezer gets ( ambient is 90-95 during my testing) to just under 10 F, and the fridge hovers right at 40. My home freezer pegs my gauge at zero F. I haven't measured the old Rockwood's fridge as an example of what I am used to having, but the only issue with the Rockwood's is soft-serve icecream. I am about to put a gallon of ice cream in the Montana, then realized why not just test it out on our first trip. I also did the drain hose modification by bending about a 10" length of #10 bare copper wire taped to the hose to make a P trap as suggested is a good mod.

Interested to see some more on the heat in the coach caused by the fridge, my fans run 99% of the time, it seems. I need to get 400Ah of Lithium bank, it seems.....