Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
PLease help with Exhaust Brake

Hi all,

My mife and I just started full-timing and have a 2005 Dodge 3500 DRW, 3.73, automatic. We are heading out west in 3 weeks and will hit the mountains in Or, Wa, Wy, MN, CO and Canada.

We tow a 3500rl and our GCVW is EXACTLY 21000 lbs (certified). I can't seem to get a good consensus to several questions about an exhaust brake.

1. Will it void the warranty? We only have 15k miles on the truck.
2. Do we really need it? Does the tow/haul work well?
3. If we don't get it, will prudent towing work just as well? By this, I mean: downshifting at the top of the hill, braking hard to slow alot (not riding the brakes); so as not to overheat the brakes.

I really respect all of your input because I know many of you do the very same thing we are just starting to do.

PLease, any/all input is welcome and appreciated.

bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Bob,

The 2006 Dodge is the only auto that is approved for an exhaust brake.
If you use your item #3, you’ll do just fine.
We tow in mostly mountainous terrain up to 11-14% grades without incident.

Here’s a link to the Cummins e-Brake page:
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...am_braking.jsp

HTH,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
bigbob7777, I was reading on one of the other forums that the Dodge warrenty required a exhaust brake in the 3500 if towing more than 10000#. I believe it was on RV.net openroads forum. Just enter exhaust brake in the search window.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Exhaust brake required on Standard Transmission. Not authorized for automatic until 2006 model and then, per Topeka KS dealer, only after a certain build date. Has to do with shaft and computer memory sizes not large enough to handle stress (shaft breaks) and memory to hold all the new instructions for the ebrake. I asked specificially about voiding warranty and he said DC would not authorize certain warranty repairs if ebrake installed on automatic -- some things still covered, some not. Basically, he asked if I was prepared to be my own warranty person if something did happen.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Lengthy discussion of the issue you are wondering about:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13407.asp
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
been there done that with our 2003/3500 RAM. Had no troubles if you follow previous advice. Take it easy, don't ride the brakes, keep tranny in a low a gear that will keep RPM below 3200 and all will be fine. been out west 3 timeas n the last three years wihout a problem.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I am glad to have the benefit of your experiences travelling in the west. There are trips from Ontario to British Columbia and elsewhere in the mountains of western Canada and the U.S. in our future (as well as trips up and down the east coast through the mountains of West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc). Knowing that these obstacles are manageable without an engine brake and with a bit of conservative common sense is most assuring.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Remember one golden rule. Do not go down hill any faster than you went up it. That also means use the same gear going down that you would use going up. So, if your auto uses third gear or second to pull hills use it to keep your speed down going down. With my manual six speed that means forth gear for most 6 % grades. I do have the exhaust brake and it works great as long as I follow the golden rule.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote