Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
Knot2worry
Established Member

M.O.C. #22356
Door latch-locked out

After a wonderful time at rally got back to Madison with no issues. Problems started when I went to get in rig. Unlocked latch and deadbolt with key but was unable to open door. Lately the red lever has been very .loose. All windows locked tight. Do pins come out of hinge to take door off?

Knot2worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #2
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I had this happen and lucky for me i was at home. Had to drill out the lock and replace the whole thing. I never tried to do the hinge.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Knot2worry
Established Member

M.O.C. #22356
Thanks. I guess theirs a key to take out cylinder and then pull back deadbolt with screwdriver.
Knot2worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
I had the same issue. I found the screen door misadjusted. When connected to the outside door, the screen door latched and prevented me from opening the outside door. I was able to pry the bottom of the outside door a little with my fingers and pull the door open. I adjusted the screen door so it wouldn't latch while attached to the outside door but would latch when not attached to the outside door. Haven't had an issue since.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As far as I know, there are no pins to remove. The door is screwed or riveted on. There is a lock core removal key to get the cylinder out. Your dealer should be able to do that for you. Our lock was under recall, and they sent me the removal key along with new cores and keys.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I had to use a 3/8's drill. Part of my key broke off in the lock. Got a new handle assembly at my rv supplier.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
On two different trailers I was lucky enough to use a claw hammer and give the handle a pop, the door opened and I found loose screws and screen door alignment issues. never damaged anything...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had the same thing happen on old trailer (2006). Fortunately the emergency rear window wasn't latched and my (grown) daughter climbed in and used a screwdriver to remove the look. Screws inside had come loose. So now we never lock one of the locks in the door (Hope it is the right one).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
This is exactly why I have gotten rid of the factory handle on our door. I bought a new electronic door handle, and all new tumblers for all our slam latches and even replaced those cheap "751" locks. I now only have 1 key for all my compartments and entry door. I chose my own key code for the new locks too. Replaced them all myself, with the removal tool.

Heres where I bought our new locks and handle set from.... rvlocksandmore.com Quick shipping and great customer service. Priced better than anyone else I priced them from.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
This happened to me also. What I did was to open the passenger storage bay and pull stuff out to get access to the laundry basket. I pushed the basket up for the trap door to open and pushed the screen basket out of the way. Crawled through the hatch and was able to unlock the door from the inside.
From there, I was able to door lock repairs as needed.
I hope this helps someone in the future.
Happy Trails
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
This is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard about people getting locked in or out. We did not like the original lock - plus the dealer lost the keys so we opted for a replacement from RV LOCK. It is electric with a keypad and remote. It has keys. Plus we never lock the handle just the dead bolt. Seems like a real solid lock. Also agree with CarWin. No 751 locks on the Monti - I replaced the ones on the front storage and battery compartments with barrel locks. Our basement locks are KENCON and not the 751 keys. They are solid.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I do not care what kind of lock/cylinders you have on your compartment/entry doors, or what keys open them, if anyone wants in, a screw driver and 2 seconds will get them in....

All that is going to accomplish is more damage to your trailer from them tying to get in.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Couldn't get in to our rig one cold night in New Orleans. Called our Good Sam Road Service and they sent out a lock smith within the hour. He picked the lock in minutes and got us in. We used the other lock, only, for the rest of the trip. At home, we disassembled the bad cylinder and reassembled it. It never malfunctioned again.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We recently had a similar issue. Unlocked door, went inside and left keys, closed door. Then the door would not open. Fortunately had a spare key and was able to unlock the door again. We are considering the electronic locks now.

I agree on same key for all the storage compartments would be a good move for Keystone to make. So would making all the compartments ONE HAND opening. Real pain to have to put down whatever is in your hands to open BOTH the latches and compartment!!!!!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #15
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We recently had a similar issue. Unlocked door, went inside and left keys, closed door. Then the door would not open. Fortunately had a spare key and was able to unlock the door again. We are considering the electronic locks now.

I agree on same key for all the storage compartments would be a good move for Keystone to make. So would making all the compartments ONE HAND opening. Real pain to have to put down whatever is in your hands to open BOTH the latches and compartment!!!!!!!
IF you are serious about the electronic locks and replacing all your slam latch locks to a single key system....I recommend RVLOCKSANDMORE.com!

I bought their products and believe it to be better quality than its competitors items.( I helped a friend install a competing lock, thus my opinion, and reason for where I chose to purchase from.) Great customer service and quick/easy to deal with.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote