Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Terrible thing almost happened

Last week I took my Montana in to have a new set of Saulin tires installed.

Still had the original Marathons on. Mfg. date in 2010, and about 6000-7000 miles total. I was always monitoring tire air pressure. Never exceeded 65 mph. Did everything right. To be fair, I did have some suspension problems.

First tire off, the belt had completely separated and on one section between the tread lugs there were cracks right down to the polyester cords. I wasn't able to hang around the shop to see the other tires as they were taken off.

I can't believe the tire was still in one piece, and I really doubt that it would have survived even a five mile run. Thought about taking pictures to late, and the old tires were gone.

The shop had a hard time finding 110 psi valve stems that would fit the rims. They also struggled a bit getting the new tires on the rims. The shop was unable to get my rims to fit properly on their balancing machine. They offered me balancing beads, but I chose not to use them. So far I am quite happy with the new Saulins. Fuel mileage seems to have improved about 10% or more so far. Trailer felt good towing, but weather and traffic conditions were perfect, so it's hard to say if there was any change.

Had to buy a new compressor for the trailer, as my other one would only do 90 psi on a good day.

Thanks to everyone here for all the good reviews and advice over the years. Thanks especially to DQDick for his help with my warranty issues with Keystone a couple years ago.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Glad nothing bad happened to your camper and your pocket book. This sounds about right. Run the China Bombs at your own risk.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No problem, glad you got the new tires in time. As is frequently stated here, with OEM tires its not if, but when.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Sounds like your tire shop wasn't current. Assuming you have aluminum rims, you need solid metal valve stems for Enkei wheels. If you can find them locally, contact Tredit. They'll sell you the right length ones for about $2 each plus shipping.

Balancing RV wheels is different than automobile wheels. RV wheels require a "lug centric" balance which is an adapter through the lug holes. Autos use the "hub centric" technique. Don't let a tire shop balance your RV tires using a hub centric device. The center hole is not centered (unlike autos) and will adversely affect the weights needed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You are correct carl n susan that is what my local tire shop(Les Schwab Tire) told me when I had my Geostar G574's mounted and they told me they never balance trailer tires anyway and neither does Keystone from the factory(OR any other RV MFG that I know of) and I have been Fulltiming with them for 4 years now with no problems with uneven wear or ride quality and yes they did put Metal valve stems on them like they do all the trailer tires they mount
Old 07-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
[quote]quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I had my G614's mounted, balanced and installed by a Goodyear Commercial Service Center. They deal with big rigs, trailers, all manner of RVs and things not normally dealt with by your local tire shop.

In another life I did custom tire and wheel installations as a manager for Super Shops. I could do 4 tires on a car/truck in less than an hour. My Goodyear tech, with 20 yrs experience, took his time and did it right. Very pleased.

Also, I asked the service manager what he was going to do with the 1 year old Trailer Kings they took off. "I couldn't give those things away" was his response.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 AM   #8
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
I have a 2013 3150RL. The wheel states 110psi. I have G614's installed. I need steel valve stems. I don't know the make of the wheels or is that important in selecting stems. They are OEM wheels. Any suggestions on stems and length for TMPS?
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #9
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I don't know the length. from what I understand there are 2 different valve stem diameter sizes. our rims need the smaller (less common) size.
I think mine were for a 0.463" hole in the rim and they had to have the nut on the inside of the wheel.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I believe the stems I had installed were 2 inch long. Anything much shorter makes it hard to screw on the sensors. I did have the style installed originally that had the double nuts inside the wheel. One of those had a failure of the gasket, and the tire shop I took the tire/wheel to had the style that inserted from the inside, then had a sleeve and a nut that installed from the outside. This seemed to be a better way to do it, but I was barely able to get the sensor screwed on without running out of room on the stem, and the set screw of the sensor tightens up on the threads of the stem.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
smitty1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #14652
I to just put on the g614s mounter balanced and installed at goodyear commercial shop in ceader city u.t. great place we were at camp ground about 10 miles away and I saw a blister on drivers side rear called them up come in we have them limped in early next a m on out way in less than 2 hrs. was going to try and get back home in fl then get trailer kings off. just happy was at camp ground
smitty1955 is offline   Reply With Quote