Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
skyviewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6581
Black tank

We have a 2008 3400RL and we are having problems with the black tank. I have done a search but cannot find an anwser to our problem It seemed to start as though the pipe going into the tank was blocked. When we pushed the lever to flush there it seemed as though the toilet would burp and the water would go down. I couldn't see the water in the pipe but if I filled the bowl with water and pushed the lever and listened in the basement I could hear the water slowly going into the tank. I used a snake to see if there were any blockages but came up empty. I then emptied the tank and filled the the pipe and the toilet with water and used a plunger and all of a sudden the water went down in a rush as it should. I then put a couple of pails of water into the tank and some digester and only used the tank to p without putting any paper down the toilet and left it for 6 days. When the toilet was full of liquid and started to burp I draned the tank and flushe it real good. The gauge read 1/3 full and we started to use the toilet normally and after the second day it started to burp and was as it was before. Used the snake but only got out some toilet paper, checked the roof vent to make sure it wasn't blocked, drained the tank and filled the pipe and toilet with water and used the plunger. With the sewer drain open and using the plunger the water went down and right now it seems to be working although we are only using it to P without putting the paper in the tank. Any suggestions on what the problem might be or what I could do next would be appreciated as I have a feeling that the problem is still there.

skyviewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Chris, it sounds like you may have one of the tank cut outs sticking in the dump pipe and when you dump the tank it only goes so far before the cutout piece flows over and blocks the dump pipe. This has happened to several folks. The individual that cuts the hole in the top of the tank for the Toilet pipe lets it drop into the tank and doesn't take the time to remove it. We have an 08 340RLQ Big Sky which is the same as the 3400. We have had to replace one black tank because of a rupture in the bottom but have not had this problem yet. We are more or less full time and do use the system a lot. This the only explanation I can come up with. When you dump the black tank try stopping the dump just as it starts to slow down. Close the dump gate and let the flush fill it a bit. Then open the gate and see if you get a heavy flow for awhile. What usually happens is the disk gets into the opening to the dump gate and lays there until you pull the gate handle and then slams shut after a you start dumping. When you used the plunger with the gate open you probably sucked it back out of the hole so all worked for awhile. The only way to get it out is to remove the dump gate and hope it is still in the pipe opening so you can grab it with a pliers and yank it out... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Skyviewman,
Have your unit been sitting in the same spot for awhile?
I had the same problem when the unit was newer, unknown to us we had a small leak in the black tank, (but I do not think that is your problem, and it would drain out the wet side of the black tank). Anyways.
But what you may have is a waste tee-pee.
Had the same problem, water goes down real slow, do the plunger and away it goes, good for a little while, but then does it again.
I replaced our black tank, the old tank flush is in the side, but in the middle, the the toilet dumps in the front right corner, I moved ours so when I now flush, the unit in the tank is flushing out where the tee-pee would be.
Just my thoughts
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Chris,
If it is not the plug Dave mentioned it sounds like it might be the dreaded pyramid! Folks have hooked their RV up at the park, connected the sewer hose, and opened the black tank dump valve. Then they use just like at home. Problem is that the liquids go down to the sewer and the solids start piling up till they block the drain pipe directly under the toilet. The resulting pyramid of toilet paper and poop turn into a solid block that is hard to get rid of. Camco makes a device that goes onto the end of your garden hose with a shut off valve at the handle. There is a flexible tube that has a spinning water jet on the end. Shove it down the toilet and the water jet will start tearing the pyramid apart. Takes awhile. I bought one off the shelf at Meteor crater park in Arizona for $32.00. Then I went to camping world and the exact same thing was $17.00. Shop around. Best of luck.
WorkerB John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote