Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Tjack10154

M.O.C. #21315
Thumbs up JT Strongarms or other Stabilizers Tip

I wanted to pass a tip along to anyone using these stabilizers. We have a 2018 HC 375FL with a Lippert 6 point auto leveler. After 1 month I purchased and installed JT Strong Arms. We really love how much of the shaking it removed for the rig. Anyway to the point, after I leveled the rig, then put pressure on the front and rear JT Strong Arms by raising the front and rear about 2 inches, I noticed that the middle jacks would be off the pads in some cases. This allowed the middle of our rig to bounce. To solve this, I unplug the front jack then try to raise the rig. That will put the Auto Level into troubleshooting mode. Then i can raise the middle jacks by pressing the right and left arrows to the same amount as the front are rear. This removes all the bounce. Try this trick and I promise you will notice a difference. As a note, to clear the fault when you get ready to leave, just choose "retract all", then after all jacks are retracted you can raise the front to reconnect to TV.

I hope this helps someone else.

Tjack10154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Welcome to the MOC. Interesting post ,as I am getting ready to install JT's on our rig. When you said you "unplug'' the front jack , do you mean loosen the tension on the Strongarm or something else? Also if the Auto Level goes into troubleshooting mode, does it get the rig back to level? I guess I am not completely understanding all of the procedure , probably a senior moment on my part. TIA.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
betting they have a MHC with electric jacks. Do hyd lift have electric connections?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard. I'm sure by raising the jacks a couple inches it can really bind the Strongarms and really tighten the stability. I have only a 4 point leveling system so I wouldn't struggle with the center jack issue.

However, I'm not sure why it's actually necessary to lift the additional 2" after set up. I know my instructions said to bump up the jacks a little to better tighten the stabilizers but I've found that I don't even need to do that.

When I installed my Strongarms I made sure that every connection was as tight as I could make it that still allowed for it to operate. Once I'm set up and level I just tighten the thumb turns and that's it. It feels quite stable inside without further adjustment.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
Tjack10154

M.O.C. #21315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandlaurie View Post
Welcome to the MOC. Interesting post ,as I am getting ready to install JT's on our rig. When you said you "unplug'' the front jack , do you mean loosen the tension on the Strongarm or something else? Also if the Auto Level goes into troubleshooting mode, does it get the rig back to level? I guess I am not completely understanding all of the procedure , probably a senior moment on my part. TIA.
Afternoon

We have a Montana High Country, so i open the door to the propane tank and unplug the electrical connector at the jack. Then I try to raise the front jack, this will cause an error. I unplug the front jack electrical connector after I auto level and tighten up the JT Strong Arms.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Tjack10154

M.O.C. #21315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
betting they have a MHC with electric jacks. Do hyd lift have electric connections?
You are correct, we have a HC with electrical jack. Thank you noting that. However, I did help a friend with Hyd Jack with the 6 point leveling system. I unplugged the front electrical connector on the control board then tried the raise the front jack. Worked the exact same as the Elec. Jacks.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Tjack10154

M.O.C. #21315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Welcome aboard. I'm sure by raising the jacks a couple inches it can really bind the Strongarms and really tighten the stability. I have only a 4 point leveling system so I wouldn't struggle with the center jack issue.

However, I'm not sure why it's actually necessary to lift the additional 2" after set up. I know my instructions said to bump up the jacks a little to better tighten the stabilizers but I've found that I don't even need to do that.

When I installed my Strongarms I made sure that every connection was as tight as I could make it that still allowed for it to operate. Once I'm set up and level I just tighten the thumb turns and that's it. It feels quite stable inside without further adjustment.
Hello

Yea a shorter camper would not move as much or need a 6 point leveling system.

I use my remote and bump up the jacks until they are just tight. If you notice the baseplates on the jacks twist a little along with the slack in the bolted connections cause me to have to bump up a few times. Also, if the site is unlevel and the front is high off the ground, this will cause even more play in the JT Strong Arms. Sometimes, this can be quite a bit. And not every time do i need to raise the middle jacks.

Heck, every time I setup at a different campsite every adjustment is different. Just my 2¢.