Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Air bags/on board compressor

Looking to add airbags to our 2015 F350 Dually to level the ride while towing our 2020 Montana 3813ms. Also want to have an on board compressor with a tank to be able to top off the tires and blowing up rafts and such. Wondering what packages folks are using.

Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Airbags

I put the firestone bags with the on board compressor. My experience with these bags goes back 20+ yrs. I believe they also make an on board tank! I found that sdtrucksprings.com has great service. I have gotten 3 different airbag kits and my 18k patriot fifth wheel hitch. They will also price match. IMHO

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm suprised this truck would need bags to begin with for all the load you have. But, an onboard compressor and tank is always cool.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Same story as Steven (Sdgood1) said. Can’t go wrong with the Firestone packages. SDtrucksprings has excellent customer service, and probably the least expensive. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
I have the Air Lift bags with the on board compressor and the wireless key fob remote. Did the install myself. If you have some mechanical ability and some experience wiring 12V, should be DIY. The Air Lift systems will maintain 5lbs minimum in the bags to protect them from damage. You can choose a preset pressure that you put into the remote so once you have your ride "dialed in" it will be a one button push to be ready to roll. I went a little more custom and mounted the compressor in the underfloor storage compartment in the back seat and the pressure valve under the truck on the frame. Manual fill override is in one of the rear license plate lugs. Only a front plate needed in MO.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
You will not be able to air up a small raft with the compressor for the air bags. The pump is to smell even for the one with the tank. The tank is also to small. They make blowers than can blow up a raft just fine.

I do recommend the onboard compressor for the air bags. I have the firestone setup on my truck and love it.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Looking at a bigger compressor and a tank for blowing up more than just the air bags.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #8
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Have you measured how much your suspension deflects with the fifth wheel trailer hitched? An automotive engineer at our camping resorts told me this week that sacks would be beneficial to ensure a level tow if the deflection is more than 1.5 inches. Also, have you considered timbren rear suspension enhancement for $289 as an option? That is what the automotive engineer installed on his 3500 truck.

https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2015_F...Super+Duty.htm
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
I looked at the timbren but I see them as more of a bump stop solution than a leveling solution. I’m guessing our truck dips 2 inches with our current rig and our new rig will probably cause it to dip more since it’ll have a generator
Old 03-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I've had Timbrens, Firestone bags w/onboard, and Air Lift bags with onboard. Prefer the Air Lift bags as they appear to be more "robust". One of my Firestone bags cracked after about 2 years. Both brands of bags really improved the ride but I didn't need help to level.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
After your project is completed please post what system components you purchased, the total installed cost and post project deflection. Thanks!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #12
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Keep in mind with the on board compressor if you have a leak you will have to replace ALL Lines. I oped to manually fill. Glad I did as I had a leak in one line so I was able to replace just that line. I located my valves next to my fuel fill behind the fuel door, it is nice an convenient I carry a hand help battery compressor it takes maybe 2 minutes to air up, This makes for a clean and simple install and a system easy to service and saves $$$. PLus the hand held can air up other things, it will even top off my 110psi tires when they are down a few lbs. I installed the 7500XL Airlift. I chose the 7500XL over the 5000lb as it takes less pressure to do the job and keeps the ride a little softer since it does not require as much air pressure.

here is the Ryobi Pump I use it easily fits Under the rear seat. Cost about $40

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
I’m going on a limb here and disagree that ALL the air lines would need to be replaced. I have firestone bags with an airlift compressor and receiver (tank). I have a small leak somewhere and when I place air in my bags I have no issues with them losing air as I drive (towing and not towing). I will lose air over night to the bags and receiver but it’s not a big issue to fill the receiver with the on board compressor and put air in my bags.

I guess the long end of it is the leak I have doesn’t have me worried. If I didn’t have on board air it would.
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
in my last TV, I also went with the small Ryobi compressor. I had to run with 30 lbs and it worked great.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #15
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I have Firestone Ride Rites on my '13 F350 with a Viair 10007 onboard air system. I have the bags plumbed separately and controlled by a Firestone Dual Pneumatic gauge. With this setup, I can change the pressures in the bags as the road conditions change. I also added an air coupler under the right rear passenger door with a ball valve so I can use it to air up tires if needed. It has saved me quite a few times. To prolong the life of the filters, I ran the compressor hose into the back of the cab through one of grommets so it breathes clean air constantly. No noise in the cab. It is wired to my #1 Upfitter switch. These pics are from the same install on my '10 F350. Can't find the '13 ones right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120523_155453-600x800.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	5880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120523_153607-800x600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	5881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120521_145502-600x800.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	5882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120523_153427-800x600.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	5883  
Old 03-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #16
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
My truck came with Air Lift bags installed. I installed a wireless Airlift compressor. I went wireless so I didn't have to install anything in the cab. I love the flexibility the onboard compressor provides for on the fly adjustments. Also, if there is a small leak the compressor kicks on and maintains level.

I use all 3 memory settings which is also helpful

1. 10 lbs for running without the trailer
  2. 30 lbs for running with the trailer - if the roads a little rougher I will bump this up 5-10 lbs
  3. 80 lbs for getting in and out of my driveway to avoid dragging the landing gear
I also have the Ryobi compressor and can fill manually if necessary.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #17
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike639 View Post
I’m going on a limb here and disagree that ALL the air lines would need to be replaced. I have firestone bags with an airlift compressor and receiver (tank). I have a small leak somewhere and when I place air in my bags I have no issues with them losing air as I drive (towing and not towing). I will lose air over night to the bags and receiver but it’s not a big issue to fill the receiver with the on board compressor and put air in my bags.

I guess the long end of it is the leak I have doesn’t have me worried. If I didn’t have on board air it would.
That is possible with the Firestone however with Airlift systems they use these quick connect fittings since they are one time use if one leaks and the entire system is connected you have to replace all lines and fittings, there is no patch.

I already have to replace one of my lines Airlift dent me new lines (at no cost) fortunately I did not have the pump system that would have required all lines replace. The reason for that is the pump on has a single output then the two lines meed outside the pump so you have to replace all.

With the non pump system I can replace a single like in about 10 minutes it would take a lot longer to replace the lines on a pump system. Also note that Airlift has two pump option one that requires the pump to be in the cab of the truck (non IP rated) and the other that mounts under the bed outside, that is an expensive over priced pump seeing that it only controls the bags.

Since it only takes me 2-3 minutes to fill my gas manually I could not justify the value or potential headache of future maintenance.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
MrJull
Established Member

M.O.C. #19204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Keep in mind with the on board compressor if you have a leak you will have to replace ALL Lines. I oped to manually fill. Glad I did as I had a leak in one line so I was able to replace just that line. I located my valves next to my fuel fill behind the fuel door, it is nice an convenient I carry a hand help battery compressor it takes maybe 2 minutes to air up, This makes for a clean and simple install and a system easy to service and saves $$$. PLus the hand held can air up other things, it will even top off my 110psi tires when they are down a few lbs. I installed the 7500XL Airlift. I chose the 7500XL over the 5000lb as it takes less pressure to do the job and keeps the ride a little softer since it does not require as much air pressure.

here is the Ryobi Pump I use it easily fits Under the rear seat. Cost about $40

That’s the way I do it too. I’m really happy with the setup
MrJull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
[QUOTE=rvman;1178336]I have the Air Lift bags with the on board compressor and the wireless key fob remote. Did the install myself. If you have some mechanical ability and some experience wiring 12V, should be DIY. The Air Lift systems will maintain 5lbs minimum in the bags to protect them from damage. You can choose a preset pressure that you put into the remote so once you have your ride "dialed in" it will be a one button push to be ready to roll. [END QUOTE]

Same system here except, had it professionally installed by Dan's Hitch in Elkhart, Ind. (well regarded by truckers and truly an expert in towing/hauling). Told him I wanted an air suspension system and he recommended the Air Lift. Not sure if I got the Professional or the Ultimate series, but said it was important to have balance around curves and corners and that this system provided the right weight distribution around corners, not all air bags do that. I have since sold that truck, but loved the system.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That is possible with the Firestone however with Airlift systems they use these quick connect fittings since they are one time use if one leaks and the entire system is connected you have to replace all lines and fittings, there is no patch.
They have a lot of fittings on the AirLift website, and not for sure which ones they included with the kits, but they do have some fittings over there that can be reused, and in fact, are designed to be just that.

They look like this:

You simply depress the button on the end, and the tubing slides out. You probably should trim a little bit off the end before putting it back in the fitting, but I don't think that's a requirement.

I don't have an AirLift or Firestone system, but the cheap, cheap system that I bought came with this type of fitting, and I took several of them off during in the install, and was able to reuse them.

These are really slick fittings...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	504
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	5942