Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As fulltimers, we take whatever comes. Our health, not fuel costs, will ultimately be the limiting factor. When enough stuff stops working we will stop and look for another life style. Unless prevented, we will take in Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, and the Escapees Escapade in Gillette, Wyoming by the end of June. After that we will see what interests us next. Whatever conditions affect us are also affecting everyone else, so we are all in it together.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, we are on our "First Great Adventure." My best MPG was 11 in Texas, and my worst was 9.6 running the hills of Tennessee and Virginia. I always try to refuel at the half empty/half full mark so I don't faint at the price. My highest has been $122 and the lowest $75, anywhere from $4.58 to $4.79 a gallon. As I stated in another thread, $2000 for fuel (4000 miles round trip), just for the trip, not counting run around, CG's, etc.

We are not rich, but we both retired last year with great expectations of traveling around the US and enjoying the country. We purchased the Montana in August 2007. Had I known then what would be happening to prices of fuel, I may have reconsidered. After all, I am retired military and can use the Armed Forces Vacation Club.

We'll keep trekking, but it may be shorter trips after this one.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We are fulltimers and have been since Oct. 2001. Fuel has been going up every year. We plan on traveling where ever we want to go. We did buy an RV lot in the Ga. Mtns. 4 years back, we love to stay there in the summer if we are not on the road. We will continue staying in Fla. in the winter. We volunteer at a state park for 4 to 5 months in the winter.

I hate to give good money to the oil companies, but this is our life we chose and we will continue to do so. I know more people who are working that are having a harder time keeping their home and job, so higher fuel costs for us is a minor setback.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #24
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We have already decided that we will limit our travels to the Midwest where we live (Northern Illinois) I did some checking on some campgrounds about 60 miles north and was amazed at the difference in seasonal rates and daily rates. If we find a campground with enough activites and scenic surroundings, it might be worth it. Seasonal rates seem to be around $1500 for April - October and daily is $35.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good topic, Rich.

There are about three situations where fuel prices are affecting us.

One, we have a granddaughter graduating from high school in Virginia, in June. We arrive in Independence, MO in early June and a few days later leave for Virginia. Because of the high cost of diesel plus needing to be back in Kansas City later in June for another granddaughter's birthday, we will leave the Montana in Independence, rent a car and drive to Virginia, motels, eating every meal out, etc. One granddaughter from Kansas City is going with us. Bottom line is fuel to make that trip to Virginia and back, all in a week, would cost us nearly $1200, towing the Montana. Total cost for the trip, car rental, gasoline, motels, food, comes out nearly the same as fuel, food, rv parks if towing. So we'll save the wear and tear on the truck and the Montana.

Second, we have a commitment to our Virginia granddaughters (two of them there) to do our annual week in the camper. This year we're taking them to Gettysburg. We committed before fuel prices went through the roof so we will do this.

Third is our fulltime travel after those commitments. We had planned to go back to New England from Gettysburg. That we'll have to wait and see. We have friends in NJ and NY we want to visit as well as friends near Gettysburg. We'll do those things. But we'll see what prices are like before deciding to go on into New England. There are lots of places between that area and Kansas City we'd like to spend time at so we may do that this year and see how prices are in the future.

In the past, we adjusted our lifestyle to accommodate the increasing prices, such as after Katrina when prices spiked to around 3.50 per gallon. We found we like spending a month in some locations. And that helps spread the fuel costs over a longer budget period. But, we're not inclined to spend two months in very many places. So, I'm not sure exactly how we'll adjust. We'll have to see how it works out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
We haven't really changed much because of the price of fuel, our lives have dictated our changes. We were planning on a trip to Montana this late summer and then head down to Arizona for the winter months. But since we spent last winter in Florida and I started working for Disney and loved every minute of it we changed our plans and are heading back to Florida for this coming winter. Instead of 2012 miles to from Ohio to Montana it is only 1033 miles from here back to Haines City, Fla. So, see, we have already saved half of the cost and are still doing what we want to do! We are heading out for Michigan this weekend and are planning on staying there for a week and a half or so. Even with the increased cost of fuel it is still cheaper than staying in a motel/hotel for ten days, not to mention sleeping in my own bed every night (priceless)!! The truck gets 14.4 mpg towing and 22.3 empty. This is so much better than the old truck that got 7 mpg. that we are still happy. We have been doing all the "stick house" chores for the past few weeks and the only other trip we have planned for this year is the MOC Rally in Goshen. See you all there!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #27
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We are going to budget diesel at around $5.50 to %6.00/gal and figure on how far we can go. We are in Rockport now with lots of RV's in the parks. The local news interviewed the "winter Texans" who are still here. Most said they could not afford to drive the rig home so some were staying and some were storing the RV's. Since we are from San Antonio (about 150 miles away) we know about the summer heat--I am sure the "winter Texans" will also find out about it! I figure New Mexico or southern Colorado is about 900 miles from here--I can afford that trip to escape the heat!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
timandsusan

Gotta say, that not being able to afford to get home concerns me some.

As volitile as the prices have been, as fast as they have gone up---

Price is say, ohhhhhhhhh, $3.14 a gallon, you budget for $3.60 a gallon, leave home, thinking you have enough buffer, get to Texas, or Arizona or Florida and by spring the price has ZOOMED by the $3.60 and climbs to $4.07. (just using numbers here for this example)

Well, that might have been last years numbers, but price is jumping by leaps and bounds now, now, $4.07 and how soon before $7.00??

Can you get it home at $7.00 a gallon??? Retirees may or may not, some of them are on really fixed incomes. YIKES, then what do you do?? I guess you stay or you leave the unit behind. Gotta say, neither of those are real appealing to me. SIGHHHHHHHH

Yep, that thought has crossed my mind. Since we don't have a crystal ball to read the future.

Whew, scary!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we started fulltiming in March 2003, gasoline was 1.25/gallon. I budgeted for 1.50/gallon and figured it would be two or three years before we hit that mark. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Figure 10 miles per gallon and 1000 miles to get the Montana home. At 3.50/gallon for diesel, which I think is about what it was when most snowbirds went south, that trip home would cost $350 in fuel. At today's 4.80/gallon, the same trip is $480. That's $130 more to get it home than planned. I really don't buy it when someone says they cannot afford to get their rig home at today's fuel prices. I do agree with getting it home and maybe letting it sit or cutting back on travel distances. I also can see the high prices being a factor in deciding to stay near where they wintered. But for someone to say that $130 means they can't go home... I just don't understand that. Obviously I'm missing something.

And at $7/gallon that's $700 for that 1000 miles. That would be more painful but I don't see even that $350 additional keeping anyone from getting their rig home. It might hurt and it might slow or even stop further travel but I can't see it keeping anyone from getting home if home is really where they want to go.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #30
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We had planned on going to Alaska this summer. After we bought a new truck in December, then the stock market tanked and gas prices were going up and up, we decided we couldn't afford that. But we weren't about to stay home. We lined up a volunteer host position in an Oregon fish hatchery for two months and are exploring the Oregon coast and Pacific northwest. Next we found a host position at an Oregon wildlife refuge where we can explore the eastern part of the state. Since we have never spent any time in Oregon, we are enjoying this life.

If we had know how much better our gas mileage would be with the new diesel truck--10-12 mpg towing and up to 19 not towing, compared to 6-8 mpg towing and 10-12 not towing with the gas truck--I don't know if we would have done the same thing. Our gas expense would probably have been less than it was two years ago when we went to the Maritime Provinces. That year people asked, "How can you do it when gas prices are so high?" We responded, who knows what they will be next year? Obviously, they are going nowhere but up. So we have to travel when we are young enough and healthy enough to do it. But when you add in the purchase of a new vehicle, we are making the best of our travels while saving on both fuel and RV site expenses. And having a great time doing it!
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #31
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Kinda sad post here guys. But we arent going to give up on our dreams,altho right now we are only using our fifth wheel for vacation and weekend trips, as we both work fulltime. Sheesh its all we have to look forward to, getting away in our Monty, and ohh lets not forget Bubba the new 2008 Ford F350 that will be here next week. Life goes on, and Lord willing with His blessings so will we. Keep praying He's listening.
Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #32
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are still going to Newfoundland this summer.. We have been planning this ever since we got back from Alaska. We know that it will cost us at least an extra $1000 or so but the prices won't be going down and we won't get any younger so we will make it up somewhere else.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #33
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
WE are finally fullfilling our dream of going full-time as of July 1st and we know that fuel will be a big expense but we plan on staying in one place min. of a week at a time and just go excepted to camphost for Sunset Bay Oregon State Park for the month of Sept.
We figure if we can work just a little to offset no campsite cost it will make up for fuel cost. Alos just re-signed up for passport america and plan on using as much as possible to cut overhead. You still have to fullfill you dreams!!!!
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 AM   #34
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
These posts made me wonder if fulltimers are changing their mind on fulltiming status or starting the thought process of exiting fulltiming. I started a new topic asking this question for fulltimers under the fulltiming in your Montana.
I know from the answers that everyone is feeling the crunch of fuel, but it is also raising the price of everything connected with traveling.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As for us (fulltimers), we have another situation that is giving us pause other than diesel prices. I am looking at a full shoulder replacement - well overdue - and 3 month rehab. That will stick us in one place for the summer. However, if it were not for that, we would probably have reduced our travels. Still trying to get out to the Black Hills/Badlands for a couple weeks, but it will have to wait until next year.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #36
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We are not going to stop full timing. We enjoy the simplicity of our lifestyle and the convenience of being able to move when and if we want to.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #37
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't know if this is the appropriate section for this but it does put a different spin on things.

The Average American

A recent study conducted by Harvard University found that the average
American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study by the American Medical Association found that
Americans drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

This means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind Of Makes You Proud To Be An American.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #38
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
We are not going to stop fulltiming!! We also like the simply , carefree life fulltiming offers. Sure, fuel cost is more, but this we can control how much we use at one time. We only travel no more then 125 to 250 miles at one time anyway. Thats the way we have traveled since we started fulltiming in 1998. Takes a little longer to get to a destination I guess but heck, I'm in no hurry, I might miss something good. We do have a 1/2 acre lot with full hookups, city water, and a 200 amp service box, all in middle tn in the farming country. So yes we can set there for as long as we want in our monty. One thing about a stick house..taxes cant be controlled, water bill cant be controlled nor the sewer bill. Repairs and upkeep on a stick house is only going to get higher...My taxes on my lot is ..get this...$28.00 a yr. when we gone , which is 90% of the time, I cut the power, shut off the water, electric is $16.00, water $8.00 when we gone...how much less can you get? I have been asked...What if one of us gets sick? Well I can get around in a Rv easier then a 1800 sq foot or larger house, plus if we need a hospital for any length there are lots that have rv hookups. Fulltiming is not for every one, but for us its a good life. I just sold 3 birds at this campground ($375.00 for all 3) so that adds to the diesel. BTY, we have been at this campground, a county park on chickamauga lake, for the last 3 weeks...our cost here..$63.00 a week, water & electric, all paved sights, good fishing too.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #39
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

And at $7/gallon that's $700 for that 1000 miles. That would be more painful but I don't see even that $350 additional keeping anyone from getting their rig home. It might hurt and it might slow or even stop further travel but I can't see it keeping anyone from getting home if home is really where they want to go.
I agree.

Seems to me that anybody driving $100k worth of rig should be able to at least get home...or maybe they over extended themselves get into the RV to start with.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:48 AM   #40
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
The world is not ending. There won't be riots in the street. Yes, people are going to freeze to death this winter because they can't buy heating fuel.

Most of you can remember the 70s and as bad as it is now, it was worse then. Remember gas was 25 cents a gallon or less and shot up 400%. In California you could only buy gas on certain days based on your license number. Gas lines were long and gas stations actually ran out of gas regularly.

There will be pain but, people will adapt they always do.

We have only been fulltiming 5 months and are not happy about the cost of fuel. However, there is no reason to think fuel will ever be cheaper so, we are going to Alaska anyway.

Next year we will adapt; maybe stay a month at Quartzsite instead of two weeks. Maybe stay in one spot all winter next year or maybe become a fulltime boondocker like Robbie. :-)

All of you have been through some difficult times in the past and you adapted. You are all more creative than you know and will find a way through this as well.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote