Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Black Tank.....My turn..

May the fleas of a thousand camels light upon the heads of those responsible for the design, manufacturer and installation of the black tank.

we miss judged how full the black tank was. We dump every two or three days and I guess I lost track of the days. I let the flush run for a few minutes before pulling the valve to stir things up and water began to pour out of the underbelly.. No solids just dirty water and very nasty smelling. The tank is located just to the rear of the front legs. Dropped the underbelly and the nasty stuff poured out..on me, my shoes my clothing..we are not happy campers.Helen would not let me in the camper and I had to strip outside..not a pretty sight.The camper smelled like a cesspool and our neighbors are pointing and holding their noses.Dogs sniff the air gave us a wide berth. The smelly water did not back up into the John just into the underbelly which leads me to believe the tank has a leak. It is now dried out.we hosed it out good and I can see the black tank.Don't know how to see if it leaks or where execpt to flush it out..fill it up and watch ?????Since the *&^%%$#)) guages do not work I could not tell how full the tank was but now I can see the &^%(($$ guages and since I have the underbelly down and can not smell any worse than I already did..I will try to see if I can fix the ^&())*($$# guages.Any expert advise on how to proceed. Right now I smell like a Rose and am allowed in the camper so we will do this tomorrow.... We do have the extended warranty but they need to know if it is defective???? Hence..Rich must find the leak... I am thrilled.. It just never ends..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Sorry to here of your troubles Rich...it must be defective because I have put a duffle bag on my flush pedal to fill the black tank up(instead of standing there for 15 minutes) and then I forgot about it and it filled up the bowl and overflowed onto the bathroom floor , so the tank didn't leak on the outside when I did that........sounds like something is cracked or a loose connection to the top of the tank........otherwise you would have gotten the same result I did.
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich....Clorox bleach. Next time (hope there isn't next time) pour clorox bleach on the ground where the black water spill is.....smell gone. Uhhh just a rumor...don't ask me how I know this works.
I've never used the black tank flush except on a empty tank.
There may be a overflow valve....my grey water will overflow when its full and come out the top of the tankk. I seen it happen twice and learned my lesson.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Agree with 6.7 CTD. The fact the John did not overflow and it dumpped into the belly inticates there is a hole in the top of the tank. At least to me. Of course insurance programs don't work on logic. {Don't get me started. lol} My guess is the Vent pipe area or a crack. I would try a hose down the vent pipe and see if it leaks into the underbelly. I use my back flush (against instructions) with the drain valve closed until I hear a change in the spray. When it gets dampened then I pull the valve and dump the tank. Yes I can verify it comes out the John and not the vent pipe when too full which was on my last unit.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks guys.I was afraid of that..looks like a leak at the very top since the tank has never been that full It may have been there for awhile. Was going to start with the vent pipe tomorrow. Sine it did not overflow inside that sounds logical..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry to hear Rich. It unfortunately sounds like the tank split.

I'm thinking if the drain is closed and the toilet valve is closed and the flush is flowing pretty hard, water continues to displace air in the tank at 0 psi UNTIL the water level finally reaches the tank vent opening (to the roof). At that point it becomes a pressurized tank trying to push a column of water up the vent. I imagine there was a water hammer to some degree at that transition point - possibly enough to crack a fitting or split the tank. Water can be pretty powerful.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never heard a thing and was standing in the area,, There was no overflow out the roof vent pipe..had that happen in a previous camper. It is about 1/3 full now and no leaks.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Once when washing my black tank with the valve closed in the old unit, I got distracted. When the water filled the tank it welled up into the toilet and began to spill out into the unit. That makes me think that it doesn't take a lot of pressure to force water past the flush seal in the toilet. Fortunately, in my case, it was after several washes so the bad stuff had already flushed and a quick water vac job and disinfectant handled the job.

I agree. I think you have a bad connection or cracked tank. My gray tank would spill into the belly pan if I let it get full. I knew I had a top leak, but I never repaired it, just never let it get full. I cut some drain holes at low points in the belly pan just in case I missed. I would not do that on a black tank leak though.

Sure hope your problem gets resolved to your satisfaction.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry to hear this Rich, I am but a conversation with a gabby neighbor away, from the too much water deal.
I installed the Vena tank monitoring system, always know exactly how much liquid is in the tanks. It senses the level from the outside. Don't even try messing with the existing pc. of junk. Worthless.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/
JimsSue13/Ozzsmods101/Electrical%20pics/107737e3.jpg
(Picture Too big)
I looked on the internet, I don't think they make them anymore...
Maybe another brand would be good, as long as the sensors are on the outside of the tank.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
My sympathies to you also Rich. I too was one of those standing outside after my sewer hose broke while dumping into our porta-tank. Bleach as stated above works great on the smell. In addition we tried Febreze. It also worked very well and has a lot nicer smell. I got the funniest looks from people walking by as I was standing there spraying outside. Strangely, no one came close enough to ask any questions.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rich I to have been through these tank problems hope you get everything fixed soon. It has to be cracked or something has come loose. Ozz I like your system but I cant find it in your mods. where do I get it and how to install. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Rich,
I fully understand your issues. Snow and 15 keeps the smell way down. When it freezes, it can be scooped just like kitty litter. Some advantages to living in the far north.
Bernie
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Icehouse,,,snow and 15!!!! I think I'll stay in Florida and use the Clorox for the spills!! My hat is off to you. The coldest I've ever been in a camper was a Pop Up with no heat and no electricty at 5 degrees. We had great sleeping goose down bags on that deer hunt.
Keep posting as it's interesting reading.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, I've never laid eyes on the connections on the tank, but when we had a black tank leak, the service manager told me that the vent pipe is not glued into the tank. He said it only slips in a rubber boot, and overfilling can result in leaks. At the time, before dumping, I would fill the tank to where I could see the water in the line below the commode valve. I don't do that anymore, and haven't had any more issues with leaking or bad odor. We did have a "tornado" flusher added, and he cautioned me to never use it with the black tank dump valve closed. Said he had seen tanks ruptured by doing so.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..that is good information and would fit what happened here. I am dropping the entire front underbelly to look around and check the guage wiring. Your information gives me a starting point .. This is what this forum excels at...we are never alone..
Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Hate to tell you Rich, but this is one time I'm glad you're alone, if you get my drift! There is lots of things people will offer to help you on, but this might be one where you find out where your real friends are! But, then again, we are supposed to get 3/5 inches of that white sh@# tonight, so i guess I'd rather be there helping you! Good luck Rich.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:40 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
In regards to your original post;
What a crappy outlook on life!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting that the vent is slip fit only - that could result in seapage traveling with a full or partial tank. I assume that they are not baffled.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #19
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
The only thing that is baffled is ME. I don't understand why they could not afford to put a hose clamp of some kind on there.If there is enough flex in the rubber boot,a clamp should not effect the operation at all.They were probably concerned about the rigid vent thru the roof and the movement of the tank when traveling or as it fills.But that is only me...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Interesting that the vent is slip fit only - that could result in seapage traveling with a full or partial tank. I assume that they are not baffled.
Brad, that is basically what we had. It would only leak when I filled it up, and raised the jacks to hook up the truck. I suppose the front being high to hook up forced the water out the vent boot. They did find where a screw had gone threw the tank top, and repaired that. Next time I filled her up and went to hook up, same problem. Dealer did extend my warranty, but since I don't fill it in excess anymore, I have not had the problem. Like someone else said, looks like they would at least have clamps on it. I have a feeling Rich will be confirming just how the black tank is plumbed. Hate he has the problem, but it will be interesting to see just how it is done.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote