Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #41
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Eric, number 3 is the question I posed as I hope to find out how well protected the autoformer is in this kind of situation. I'd never hook up that way but how well protected is it. I'll try to do some research on that when I get a chance.
[...]
Steve, What I can see of the Hughes autoformer leads me to believe that it has NO self protection for this kind of overload....

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #42
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sph77

Thanks Eric,
Since I have an older "50 amp" unit that really only uses 30 amps, the 30 amp autoformer should do well for now. The only debate in my head now, is maybe I should spring for the 50 amp unit now ($180 more) that I will need on my next monty.
Steve
Steve, future expansion is one of those interesting variables that makes me also scratch my head

Eric
Old 07-22-2005, 04:12 AM   #43
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Boy I sure am learning a lot or to much, I didn't know that the 50 amp was actually two 110 lines and the 30 was only one. I have been hooked up to 50 amp w/ no adapters for a year now but at the KOA I was hooked up from a 30 amp box to a adapter to my 50 amp cord. thanks sure am learning a lot. I was going to wait to but a autoformer due to where I am living now we are hooked up like a home each on our own meter this is the second summer w/air on and haven't had problems yet, So this gives me more time to come up w/ the $ for the autoformer..
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #44
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Eric! I am still confused but not nearly as bad I once was.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #45
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
OK, well, now I am still confused, and I have some questions befroe I go out and buy the autoformer.
First, I am lost on the whole 50 AMP service deal. I have 50 AMP service on my unit, and also have wiring for washer and second AC, which I do not use. HOWEVER, I dont not have a 30 AMP and a 20 AMP main breaker, my main is a 50 AMP breaker. Does this mean I have the older style or newer style wiring? My Unit is a 2004.
I guess I just want to know if I have a true 50 AMP service.
I would like to know what is the best autoformer for me to buy, I always use the 50 AMP when it is available. another question, sould I be using the 30 AMP if that us just fine, as it is with many of you?
Eirc, might eed some help with all thus, you seem to have the knowledge here LOL
Seriously, any insight on how the 50 AMP servcie works, especially in my rig, would be great, before I go out and buy an autoformer.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #46
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glenn: Did you ever open a can of beans when you started this thread. 44+ responses.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #47
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

[...] HOWEVER, I dont not have a 30 AMP and a 20 AMP main breaker, my main is a 50 AMP breaker. Does this mean I have the older style or newer style wiring? My Unit is a 2004.
I guess I just want to know if I have a true 50 AMP service.
I would like to know what is the best autoformer for me to buy, I always use the 50 AMP when it is available. another question, sould I be using the 30 AMP if that us just fine, as it is with many of you?
Eirc, might eed some help with all thus, you seem to have the knowledge here LOL
Seriously, any insight on how the 50 AMP servcie works, especially in my rig, would be great, before I go out and buy an autoformer.
You have the newer "true" 50 amp rig.

Having true 50 amp service at the park plug means that you don't have to worry about how many things are turned on at once like I do. That would be very nice (from my point-of-view..) Question, when all you have is 30 amp service at the park plug available, do you have any problems popping the parks 30 amp breaker? Do you find it anoying to "limit" yourself to only 30 amps or is it no big deal to you? If it annoys you to only use 30 amps, then it would be easier to keep using 50amp service when available. I'm thinking about trying to rewire my unit to be more like the newer true 50 amp capable rigs myself.

30 amp service basically means that you can realistically only use two major appliances at once (AC, microwave, electric water heating element, hair drier, electric heater, ...) In cold weather that is very difficult and is why I want to rewire my rig.

This all boils down to preferences, weight and $$$.

If you really prefer to keep using 50 amp service at the park plug so you don't have to manage your power usage and can pony up the $$$ and can carry the weight of the 50 amp autoformer, then that is what you should get.

If you don't really give a hoot if you are plugged into 30 amp service at the park plug and don't mind managing your power usage or would REALLY rather not spend the extra $$$ then consider the 30 amp autoformer.

Eric
Old 07-23-2005, 03:19 AM   #48
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy45

[...]
Ed, search for a topic called "50 amp service question" and look at the last post by Gyro. He made reference to a site

http://www.myrv.us/Pgs/RV/50amp.htm

that gives a good overview of RV wiring.

Eric
Old 07-23-2005, 05:03 AM   #49
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Glenn, thanks for starting this post, like others, I've learned a lot about amps & volts. All of the variations in questions and scenarios helps to understand our own variable situations.
We have the 2nd A/C, prep for W/D (will probably buy next year, starting full time in October '05), in our '05 3400. After reading this thread I'm opting for the 50 Amp Autoformer, stepping down to 30Amp park power when that is all that is needed or available, but having the 50 Amp protection for the long haul.

Eric, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #50
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Thanks again Eric, now I understand what is going on. To be honest, I have not had a problem at the 30 AMP parks, but I have not used many major appliances at them either. When I am at 30 AMP, I usually leave the Hot Water on Propane. if I get the autoformer, I will go with the 50, since that seems to be the best choice for my rig. Thanks again, and I will check out that web link you posted.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #51
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Interesting post. We have the newer 50 amp service with our 2005 3400RL. However, our seasonal site only has 30 amp, so we have been using the 30 amp adapter. I finally broke down and purchased the 30 amp pigtail and a 50 ft 30 amp cord. I have not popped the circuit yet despite running a/c, microwave and tv. However, did pop one time with the stereo cranked and the above all running. We enjoy the lighter weight and less space taken up by the 30 amp cord.

Also, when talking about the autoformer, it seems that people are sometimes forgetting to separate current from voltage. Think of it in terms of water - pressure is voltage and flow is current. 30 amp and 50 amp have the same pressure (110 v) but different amounts of flow available. That is why a 30 amp autoformer and 50 amp autoformer do the same with the voltage but you need to consider the current useage. If you have 50 amp service but only carry a 30 amp cord, you will never use the 50 amp current. The reason our 3400RL has 50 amp service is because of the second a/c prep and the washer/dryer prep. We have neither and probably won't have them in the future. Just a little further clarification.

From the sound of it, though, the autoformer also has a protective side - preventing voltage spikes from damaging the electrical system in the trailer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote