Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
mdpcjjjj

M.O.C. #26130
What I have learned about Ford TPMS and Furrion cameras

I'm new to the Fifth Wheel RV experience, so I decided if I am going to do it, I will try to do it right. Early 2019 I purchased the F350 SRW Diesel. I love the truck. I purchased the Ford trailer TPMS and Ford Rear Trailer Camera system with the truck. This year I purchased the Montana Fifth Wheel 3701 LK. When I went to install the Camera system, I could see there would be problems. The Montana is prewired for the Furrion Camera system which is wireless. The Ford system would require a large umbilical to run the length of the trailer. I also determined that the Ford camera was strictly a back up camera, and would not let me monitor my rear while driving. So I installed the TPMS sensors in the tires and punted on the Camera (For sale if anyone wants it). I like the TPMS. It works well and shows up on the Ford screens. I then went and purchased the Furrion camera system. I decided on the 4 camera system with Marker Lights. The more cameras the better - right? Everything installed easy enough. I paired all of the cameras in my shop prior to install. Once I had them installed however, only the rear camera would pair with the monitor. I had wired the markers exactly like the originals. I wired the Black to where the original Black was wired. The original Black wire was connected to a white/green wire several inches inside the unit. I could not get them to pair. So, on a whim, I just switched the wires, and luckily everything paired and started working. So now I have four cameras showing me video on my screen. After all of this, and after this weekend's trip, I am having a hard time rationalizing why anyone would need the marker cameras. The rear camera does great for baking up, and acting as a rear view while driving. So I have determined that a person only needs the rear camera. Maybe others have advise on how to better take advantage of the Marker cameras?

Pullrite Slider
mdpcjjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mike and Cindy,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

No mater what the marketing folks come up with there will be some that decide they need it and go out and buy it. Have never had the marker cameras so I can really comment on them. I like the rear observation camera to see who is coming up on me particularly if I am preparing to pass. Don't use it much as a backup camera as I would rather have someone out spotting for me if I am backing into a tight area.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have the 2 marker cameras, left and right clearance lights, and the rear observation. Oddly, even Furrion must think the side cameras aren't very useful as the monitor won't stay on them. It keeps going back to the rear after a few seconds.
Anyway, the only time I use them is when backing or passing. I have seen stuff in the side cameras that I might have missed in the side view mirrors. They aren't as useful as the rear observation camera, but they are nice to have. BTW, I didn't get the 4th camera for over the door.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
[QUOTE=RMcNeal;1183858]I have the 2 marker cameras, left and right clearance lights, and the rear observation. Oddly, even Furrion must think the side cameras aren't very useful as the monitor won't stay on them. It keeps going back to the rear after a few seconds.

You use to be able to keep/view all 4 camera on the display all the time plus had the split screen option also. But Furrion changed the software in their displays a couple of years ago. The new software doesn't allow you to keep all camera view or split screen view on the display all the time. It reverts back to one camera view.

Unknown to me I purchased my system around the time when they were in the process of switching over to the new software. I watched a lot of YouTube videos about the Furrion system before I purchased it. All the videos showed the different views you could select from the menu. So I purchased 4 cameras and the 7" display. I got 2 side marker cameras and 2 of the rear observation blade cameras. One I mounted on the back and the other I plan on mounting on the front cap.

I purchased the system to also use it as a security camera system when I am parked at the camp site. The side marker cameras come in handy for that reason. I can monitor both sides of the camper plus the back and eventually the front when I install the camera. For that reason I didn't wire it to the marker lights. I wired it to the RV batteries thru a fuse and I installed a switch so I can turn the cameras on/off as needed.

Getting back to the display software. After I installed my system and powered it up for the first time is when I found out that I could not keep the multi camera or split screen view on the monitor. It would revert back to a single camera view.
I thought I had a bad display so I called up Furrion. That is when I found out about the software change. I was pissed when they told me but luckily they were still in the process of switching over to the new software and they still had some displays with the old software in stock . So I was able to send my display back to Furrion and they it swapped out for one with the old software. So I am able to keep the different views on my display all the time...
Old 05-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
mdpcjjjj

M.O.C. #26130
DmaxDually, I like that thought about also using the cameras for security. The thought of trying to run a separate wire was daunting to me. Trying to figure out how to get that wire run through the walls etc? How difficult of a process was this?
Pullrite Slider
mdpcjjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpcjjjj View Post
.............I decided on the 4 camera system with Marker Lights. The more cameras the better - right? ...........The rear camera does great for baking up, and acting as a rear view while driving. So I have determined that a person only needs the rear camera. Maybe others have advise on how to better take advantage of the Marker cameras?
I have the 3 camera system (one on each side and rear) but only found the rear camera to be useful when driving for reasons others have noted. So in my case, more cameras was not better. I do not use the rear camera to back up since it projects relatively far behind the trailer.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
DmaxDually, I like that thought about also using the cameras for security. The thought of trying to run a separate wire was daunting to me. Trying to figure out how to get that wire run through the walls etc? How difficult of a process was this?
If you have basic 12V wiring and mechanical skills it's wasn't that difficult but it was time consuming fishing and accessing areas to run the wires. I didn't have to run any wires through walls. I didn't want to risk any electrical interference with the cameras from any other electrical systems in the RV so that is another reason I ran separate wires for the cameras. I have a 2012 3750FL. I mounted the rear blade camera right below my center marker light on the rear cap. I drilled a hole below the center marker light for the camera wires.

I temporarily removed the center marker light, the Right upper marker light and my right tail light assemblies so I can fish the wires though the rear cap.
I started at the top and fished the wires through the center marker light hole, across the top of the cap to the rt upper marker light hole. Then down the side of the cap and out the bottom of the cap. I removed the screws holding the black coroplast panels on the bottom of the RV and rolled it back for access as required.
I drilled a hole and attached the ground wire for the rear camera to the frame at the rear cap (removing the paint for a good gnd ). I ran my 12v power wire fwd along the frame of the RV securing it as required and making sure it wouldn't chafe on anything. I then ran the wire up into the back of my switch control panel in the RV. I had to remove the back wall in the pass through storage area to fish the wire from the bottom of the RV up to the panel. I installed a on/off switch in the control panel for the cameras. I attached the rear camera power wire to one of the switch terminals.

The side marker light cameras and wiring were easy access through my propane tank storage compartments (tanks removed of course). I removed my factory side marker lights and installed the side marker cameras. I took the camera ground wire and attached it to a metal frame section in the compartment. I drilled to small holes in the fwd and aft wall of my pass through storage area at the top. I ran the power wire aft through the holes I drill along the ceiling above the access door for my pass through compartment and into my control panel where I attached to the camera switch. I did the same for the l/h side camera wires. I ran the pwr wire from the l/h propane storage through the battery area, garage area and to the switch in the control control panel using the same holes I drilled in the pass through.

I then ran a power wire from my previously installed battery disconnect switch (not the factory switch. I installed a marine type battery disconnect switch in my battery compartment) to an aux fuse panel in my battery compartment. Then ran the power wire for the camera system from the aux fuse panel to the switch in my control panel. I closed everything up and it works great....
Old 05-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The only use I see for side marker cameras is in tricky backing situations where there are never enough eyes to feel safe. My most tricky backing situation is at home where I have to back up a hill that is in the middle of a curve, into the driveway, through a choke point in the driveway, avoid one retaining wall, keep the front of the TV out of the planting areas on either side of the driveway as I work to make the Monty move in the desired direction, avoid the corner of the roof/gutter on the house and avoid the retaining wall on the other side of the Monty. My solution to that is my DW who has become a great spotter and keeps me safely away from the house roof and the retaining wall. We recently added 24" of concrete to one side of the driveway entrance to give me more swing room for the TV without driving over plants. Time will tell if that was a good solution. Even if it doesn't help the parking situation, it was needed to stop an erosion problem.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

Had almost exact setup as yours on my 350 SRW was a 2017. word of caution, stay off of the scales. To make the Ford OEM camera an observation camera look up NAV-TV.

I stuck it out with the Ford OEM camera to help keep the dash clear
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
... I wired the Black to where the original Black was wired. The original Black wire was connected to a white/green wire several inches inside the unit. I could not get them to pair. So, on a whim, I just switched the wires, and luckily everything paired and started working....
I found that on my 2017 305RL the backup camera wires were reversed as well (black was + and red was -). I had consumed so much excellent information on this site already that I knew to check before hooking up my camera. We love our Monty, but I have been a bit disappointed/alarmed at times by the poor/sloppy workmanship, especially in the electrical wiring as I have been making mods. Poor crimp connections, wire nuts used where crimped connectors should have been (water heater - could have caused a fire), etc. Bottom line - don't assume all is as it should be when diving into a project. I have benefited a bit in a warped kind of way - I have found a number of unused crimp on connectors, screws, etc. just laying in areas normally hidden from view, presumably dropped by accident and not cleaned up.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
I just ran the supplied cable under the rig forward to the Propane tank area, then up and into the front storage and out to the pin box. On the rear I enclosed the cable in surface mount wire track from Lowe's in a color to match the rig.
In the end I don't use the camera much as I prefer to have DW back there guiding me. I looked into the NAV-TV module interface to get it to stay on but the cost was more than a rear viewing camera. I spent about half the cost of Furrion for an off brand wireless cam just to help with changing lanes and passing.
Also, I didn't get the OEM gps because it wasn't truckers gps and I already had a Magellan from my previous truck.

Course, now the cab looks like mission control with all the screens...

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Course, now the cab looks like mission control with all the screens...[/QUOTE]

Does it look anything like mine?? My Furrion 7" display on top, my Garmin RV 760 nav display below that, below that and to the left is my Edge CTS 2 display, at the bottom center is my Transfer Flow Trax3 display for my fuel tanks and last but not least, it's not in the picture, my TST TPMS display is mounted by the A/C vent to the left of the steering wheel..
Sometimes I do look at the road...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	6436  
Old 05-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Wow Max,
That is some array. You win this round for sure.
Mine, upper right going down:
cheap China rear view cam, Ford's main screen, DW's cell phone in the cradle (using mine to take photo).
Left side is Magellan RV gps. Ford TPMS displays in the center of the gauge cluster along with many other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashsmall.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	6437  

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Oh yeah..My factory touch screen radio/Nav display is behind my Garmin..
What I like about the Furrion rear blade camera is that it has a built in microphone and the display has a speaker so who ever is back there guiding you can also give you verbal commands instead of just hand signals. No need to use radio's or cell phones.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #15
Pamc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27351
The Furrion rear and side cameras only work when the truck is turned OFF and when it is RAINING!!!?????
Pamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamc View Post
The Furrion rear and side cameras only work when the truck is turned OFF and when it is RAINING!!!?????
Somebody screwed up the wiring somewhere...