Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 01:03 AM   #41
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I am sorry to read your difficulties with Keystone and warranty work. I am lucky in that I have three warranty dealers within a 50 mile radius but one refuses to look at it unless I pay him. one has looked at it, lied about performance, and ruined the finish on the coach, and the third one will look at it but also told me you cannot run two Air conditioners in a 50 amp Montana. I am also now being handled by an Owner Relations rep that talks a good story but does not authorize the dealer where it is currently sitting to d any work. This is the sorriest warranty service I have ever seen. Those who own Montana's and are satisfied must not have many difficult issues. I am thinking that eventually I may need a lawyer unles I can find someone in Keystone Mnagement that actually cae about Customer Satisfaction. Fixing HVAC is not a difficult issue. In mine I have air distribution issues.

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #42
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

Keystone/Montana will only work through a dealer. That is their business model and you won't be able to change it. They have the dealer do the measurements, pictures and documentation they want. Just like bad tires, picking a bad dealer hurts. You have a coupe of choices that you might try:

1. Call Keystone and have them identify another dealer which will do the diagnosis they want. Yea, you are going to have to get the RV to them.

2. Have Keystone/Montana tow the RV to a repair facility and return it. They will want to pick it up at a dealer. Perhaps your local dealer will do the measurements required with no expectation of fixing the frame issue. Most dealers are not equipped to do that anyway.

3. Go to the rally in Goshen and talk to the service guys directly.

With my frame issue, I dropped the RV at my dealer, and a hour later a hauler picked it up and took it Pendlelton, OR (they have a factory there) where they fixed it. Then Keystone/Montana had it towed back to my dealer. Admittedly both my dealer and I had conversations with customer and dealer relations. That is why a supportive dealer is so important.
Good points. Re 1 and 2, Keystone should have already leaned forward and done that on their own.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:32 AM   #43
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Iretired06, I can see that you have not recently had to deal with Keystone. They will not give out phone numbers or emails for anyone. You will literally spend days on hold. If they ever suggest taking it to Goshen I will have it there the next day! So far they tell me to take it to a dealer of their choice and then do not authorize the dealer to do any work. I have heard they will not put anything in writing so as to leave a paper trail. So far that is true in my case. Many contacts but no evidence, no resolution. It would be nice if We had a list of management contacts for these issues that go unresolved.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #44
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
I had that problem a few years back. Got no help from dealer.Called team Montana no help. Just so happened I was going north so decided to stop at service in Goshen. After a few arguments with the rep they sent me to RV Repair close by and had it checked out. Bad we have to do things like this for the $$$$ we spend.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #45
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

Iretired06, I can see that you have not recently had to deal with Keystone. They will not give out phone numbers or emails for anyone. You will literally spend days on hold. If they ever suggest taking it to Goshen I will have it there the next day! So far they tell me to take it to a dealer of their choice and then do not authorize the dealer to do any work. I have heard they will not put anything in writing so as to leave a paper trail. So far that is true in my case. Many contacts but no evidence, no resolution. It would be nice if We had a list of management contacts for these issues that go unresolved.
Don't understand your post.
Apparently you missed my point. If they were professional and customer oriented, then Keystone would have taken action as outlined by Carl n Susan. Thought I was pretty clear. And obviously you are not familiar with some of my past postings where I described numerous frustrating dealings with Keystone. Customer response and support is not what it used to be. I have been a Montana owner since 2002 and I see a decline.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
Old 08-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #46
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hi Iretired06,
I may not have understood. You made it sound easy dropping it off at a local dealer and getting it fixed. Truth is so far three local dealers have refused to fix it all blaming Keystone. They at Keystone are masters at not leaving a paper trail, giving out any contact info to customers other than low level phone reps. They promise everything, do almost nothing. Mentioning the MOC does have some effect and adding IRV2 and other facebook groups does get slight attention from them. I used to work in Quality, Customer Service for a large Fortune 500 Company. Back then We were instructed to win each customer back.Statistics are that each unhappy customer tells at least ten and those ten tell another 10 It is easy to loose sales and reputation with relatively few unhappy customers. I have yet to see any results but the guy I talked to this morning from Owner Relations did at least talk a good story. He still will not give me his phone number or email address. Hell he probably uses a pseudonym so the public cannot hold him accountable.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #47
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I appreciate the ideas and conversation you guys have given. I talked with the dealer this morning and they said that Keystone has not answered their emails as of yet. The warranty guy was going to try and call them and email them again today, but they were unanswered again. I told the dealer that I could have the unit to them as early as Tuesday of next week, but they still claim they are so booked that they have no place to put it. I am going to call the dealer once again tomorrow and then email Keystone myself again. The dealer has had them keep a unit as long as four months before which worries me too. I'm just gonna do what I can do. I'll take dealing with Forest River any day over this so far! I'm not impressed with the amount of communication from them as I said. Again, thanks to all for the condolences, words of encouragement, wisdom and list of things to try. I truly look forward to getting this behind me so I can enjoy the unit if/when it's repaired.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #48
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
This is almost funny, but it`s not to the people who are getting no real satisfaction just hair pulling stress. Keystone reps don`t really care after the sale because it`s the same business model with the same attitude that says..... if you don`t buy it the guy standing behind you will so quit asking questions and get out of the way. Baby boomers are retiring in droves and buying RV`s that aren`t even built yet, there no incentive to do better and the people that try to defend Keystone know it. Look at the sales figures for all RV companies for the last 3 years and tell me I`m wrong. I`m not driving to Goshen just so I can get my camper fixed.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These post are very disturbing to me. We have had two Montana's since 2006 and our share of problems both large and small.The Keystone/Montana, reps, techs and issues in communicating with them are not the Keystone/Montana or the reps we have been dealing with over the years.

We have always been treated fairly and our problems have never been ignored. We have not had occasion to deal with Keystone as of late but I do not like what I am hearing as that would be a huge change of direction in their customer relations.

Now I will say we get to every fall rally because we are close to the event and the factory folks are there to evaluate problems. They do not have to take pictures or measurements and there are no dealers to contend with. They are right there to see the issues.that cuts out a lot of back and forth.
We will be at this fall rally and we are sure these issues will be brought up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #50
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
After leaving three messages with the warranty guy at my dealer this week and not hearing from him, I called the service manager at home today. He is going to call Montana first thing in the morning to see where we go from here. I told him I could have the camper at the dealer by Tuesday lunch if he could find out something for me. Againm a waiting game.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #51
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I feel your pain as well I am now at 5 out of 10 weeks of ownership in the shop and the other 5 weeks minus 1 day waiting to get into the shop. You never hear back, get no communication from Keystone especially in writing, You are given no way to contact Keystone directly. I do not now how the dealers put up with it. How can it be that they are still tops in Sales when the have no service and no warranty repairs even though you think you have a year..
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #52
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

I feel your pain as well I am now at 5 out of 10 weeks of ownership in the shop and the other 5 weeks minus 1 day waiting to get into the shop. You never hear back, get no communication from Keystone especially in writing, You are given no way to contact Keystone directly. I do not now how the dealers put up with it. How can it be that they are still tops in Sales when the have no service and no warranty repairs even though you think you have a year..
From what I gather, the dealers are worried about that as well. My dealer has had Montana a while and love the units, which we all do, but do not care for the way the customers are left hanging when something happens. The rigs are usually repaired, but with no explanation. They are banking on their reputation to carry them through. They very well could end up like the '08-'12 gap where the quality of their units(fit and finish) dropped dramatically and they had to scramble for a solution. I've had more than one dealer around here state they had much rather have an '07 on the lot to sell than a '10 model for those had far less problems. I've never had a company do this. With my dealings with Forest River, I was contacted by the warranty director, the director of marketing and then the Chief Engineer called me himself personally. When you had a question, the department heads would answer the phone when you called their direct lines. NOTHING like this! I camp with two other Montana owners. One and '07 and one an '06. Both were in the market to upgrade theirs to new ones until I bought mine. We camp together every three weeks(when our unit is usable) and they love our unit, but have both said now that they will look elsewhere to upgrade. However, the AC units we are talking about are now being put in industry wide. Who knows! From my earlier post, it does look like Forest River does acknowledge their is a problem and are trying to solve it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #53
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I guess we were really fortunate when we bought our rig that we had a wonderful dealer that treated you as well or better after you bought as they did when you were looking. Unfortunately Dandy RV in Anniston, Al was bought out by Camping World but we were able to get everything done in a timely manner while we were under warranty. We have a friend that bought a beautiful Sanibel that had slide problems, not only did they contact him through his dealer and personally but sent some one to his home in Tennessee and drove their rig back to the plant for them within a few weeks after reported problem. They have called him every week to give him reports and offered to pay their expenses, gas, food and motel if they decide to come to the plant to pick it up. It is being repaired in under one month. Although I am happy with our rv, I wouldn't buy another Keystone product now. I hope to hear better comments than what we are hearing now. Good luck on your endeavor to get results.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #54
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Would be careful comparing forest river to keystone. Several folks in our park in Florida with FR products, and they are worse off than what I see on this forum in terms of warranty support.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #55
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Yes, I agree but was surprised they (FR) offered what they did with this rig. We had good luck with Keystone and I was impressed that they replaced so many graphics on a lot of older rvs. Wonder what has changed with them. Even the sales reps that attended rallies were great about working with you a few years ago. Maybe the dealer has a lot to do with it.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #56
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Would be careful comparing forest river to keystone. Several folks in our park in Florida with FR products, and they are worse off than what I see on this forum in terms of warranty support.
I am only attesting to my dealings with FR and Keystone so far.

My service manager called today and I have an appointment to take the unit on Thursday. Keystone said they needed more pics of the unit and also to check the interior of the closet in the front. He said that if the problem is what they think it is, then the repair could be done at the dealership. I will update as I know more. I'm glad someone is finally talking.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #57
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Took the unit in as requested by Keystone. They had sent a list of pics they wanted the dealer to take. It was the same list of pics that I'd already taken for them!!! They told the dealer that my video showed them nothing. Now they have another copy of the same pics. What's also puzzling, they had them take a pic of the rear bumper and a side pic of the pin box. Have several friends that have been down this road before say they are searching for an excuse to deny! We shall see!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #58
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Bet they were looking at the rear bumper to see if you had installed a Class II or III hitch and if so, blame tandem towing as the cause.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
Old 08-22-2016, 04:35 AM   #59
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Bet they were looking at the rear bumper to see if you had installed a Class II or III hitch and if so, blame tandem towing as the cause.
That's what we came up with too. I wouldn't tow or put anything on the back of 5ers other than a spare tire. I see how much they bounce.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #60
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
The new Montana's are beautiful, but I sure hope the trouble you and James are having is an anomaly rather than a trend.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote