Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Battery Disconnect Switch questions

What position do I want the Battery Disconnect switch in when I'm plugged into 50A shore power?

Do I want the switch in "Disconnected" mode?

Will the battery get charged by the converter in either position?

When I'm traveling and the RV is plugged into the truck's wiring, what position do I want the Battery Disconnect switch in?

My understanding is that the Battery Disconnect switch disconnects the battery from the house wiring, for when you have the RV in storage. (I've been pulling out the battery and putting it on a trickle charger at home). I just don't understand how it works with respect to the converter powered by shore power, and the truck wiring.

Thanks

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I keep on when using the rig, off if parked and not in use, with a second cutoff for total battery isolation. Purpose of the cutoff is to prevent battery drain.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
For how you are using it I would leave the switch on and forget it.

The factory battery disconnect is pretty much worthless as they don't always isolate it from all other components.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mountain man is right. We've never turned one off in 10 years of owning Montanas. IMHO the only thing the battery disconnect is good for is causing problems. It will disconnect the converter so you don't get a charge, but it won't disconnect any of the phantom draws so the propane detector etc will drain your battery anyway. If you're going to store and leave the battery in you need to install your own disconnect up near the battery it's self.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I turned the disconnect switch one time in 12 yrs just to see if it would turn. Turned it back and never operated again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
I think that the battery disconnect switch labeling is confusing (What does "Disconnect Off and Disconnect On mean?!? I would think "Disconnect Off" means the battery is not-not connected, a double negative, but it's the other way around). Wouldn't it MAKE SENSE to just label the switch positions: "Battery Disconnected" and "Battery Connected". Done. None of this "Disconnect" "On" "Off" business.

And like everyone says, there are still phantom loads if the battery is disconnected by the switch.

And when I put my rig in storage for any time at all, I physically disconnect the battery and remove it and take it home and put it on a trickle charger. I do have plans to put a solar trickle charger for the battery, so I don't have to lug it home and back each time.

Thanks for the heads-up about the battery not getting charged by the converter when the disconnect switch is in disconnected mode (I'm still confused by the "Disconnect On-Off" terminology).

I think the bottom line is like what BB_TX said -- Turn the switch to see what it does, turn it back, and never use it again.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With those switches, if you can pull the red plastic key out, the switch is in the 'OFF' position and 'ON' if the key can not be pulled out. As a retired electric lineman, switches of any kind were either OPEN or CLOSED, and I personally think that would be a much better way to label these switches, takes all the guess work out of trying to figure out which way the switch was connected or disconnected.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I like CONNECTED and DISCONNECTED but yes, ON and OFF make no sense.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I leave my connected (on/off???) all the time. I use a battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment when storing it.

However, I got in minor trouble 2 times in the last 4 years. I take it to the dealer for minor stuff and when I get it back, the interior lights don't work. I mess around and check the voltage in the fuse panel and no juice. The dealer figured it out on the phone the first time and just when I was about to take it in the 2nd time, a light came on in my brain!!!

Maybe I will remember the next time - but I wouldn't bet on it!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
I got into trouble too over the weekend, which is why I'm asking about this Disconnect switch and what position to put it in ("Disconnect On" or "Disconnect Off", neither still makes sense).

I didn't know it, but the 20A converter circuit breaker tripped and I was running off the house battery, until my Jensen stereo started flashing and all the lights got dim and the smoke detector started beeping. I didn't know what happened. I ran around outside flipping the battery disconnect On and Off (or Off and On, neither makes sense) and in one of those positions, the dim house lights and the beeping smoke detector shut completely off. I realized I disconnected a depleted battery.

That led me to the circuit breaker panel and I saw the 20A breaker for "CONV" was tripped. I flipped it back on and the house lights and my Jensen stereo worked normally since now it was getting 12 volts DC from the converter.

So, I don't know if this 1 time of depleting the battery was enough to kill it. But it's on a charger back at home now.

I have 3 observations from all this:

1. Someone tell Keystone to re-label the battery disconnect switch positions to something that makes sense, I prefer "Disconnected" and "Connected". Have I beat that dead horse enough?

2. I wish there was some kind of warning, a flashing light, a buzz, a beep, when the shore power is connected and the 20A converter circuit is tripped, so I'm not sitting around thinking everything is fine yet my battery is getting depleted.

3. That battery status on the tank/battery status panel is completely meaningless when you're plugged into shore power. If the converter is working, it will show the full 4-lights saying the "Battery is full", even if the battery is completely depleted. That status panel is only reading the DC voltage coming into the coach wiring, it's not actually reading the battery voltage directly.

Between the toilet plumbing issues and 12V circuit confusion, this past weekend camping turned out to be a crash course in RV troubleshooting and how-it-works.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
What position do I want the Battery Disconnect switch in when I'm plugged into 50A shore power?

Do I want the switch in "Disconnected" mode?

Will the battery get charged by the converter in either position?

When I'm traveling and the RV is plugged into the truck's wiring, what position do I want the Battery Disconnect switch in?

My understanding is that the Battery Disconnect switch disconnects the battery from the house wiring, for when you have the RV in storage. (I've been pulling out the battery and putting it on a trickle charger at home). I just don't understand how it works with respect to the converter powered by shore power, and the truck wiring.

Thanks
Only time mine is off is when it's in storage at which time I also disconnect the negative terminal on battery.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Best bet is to just leave the battery disconnect on at all times unless you are working on the converter or the 12 volt electrical systems inside the rig. Doing so, you need to be hooked up to shore power so the converter can maintain the battery. If you are going to float the battery on a separate charger, disconnect the battery terminal connections. If you are not going to be able to check battery water level every month, fully charge it disconnect the battery terminals and leave it sit. Letting a battery run dry will destroy it.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #13
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Forget there is a battery disconnect switch. When the rig is in storage, both terminals are physically disconnected. Battery stays in place. I have power at the storage lot so shortly before a trip ( several days) I connect the terminals and plug in. When we are ready to go, it’s ready. Lastly, keep an eye on water level in battery and the date of purchase of the battery. Don’t try to
make any battery last much over 5 years.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
along with the main disconnect I have a second disconnect I think on the line that runs to the inverter for the fridge. Either one will stop the converter from charging the battery. I don't know if the second one stops any phantom loads. I just leave them both one. I need to install a real disconnect so when it goes to the dealer they don't kill the battery again. Should that go on the negative or positive?

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
On ancient advice from this forum I always disconnect the negative.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
along with the main disconnect I have a second disconnect I think on the line that runs to the inverter for the fridge. Either one will stop the converter from charging the battery. I don't know if the second one stops any phantom loads.
The disconnect running to the inverter does not stop the converter from charging the battery. Only the CC disconnect will do that. And neither disconnect will stop the phantom loads.
Quote:
I just leave them both one. I need to install a real disconnect so when it goes to the dealer they don't kill the battery again. Should that go on the negative or positive?
The general consensus is to put it on the Negative Side.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
On ancient advice from this forum I always disconnect the negative.
I have heard that about the negative also but not sure the reasoning. You can’t have current flow without a closed loop. And disconnecting either positive or negative at the battery would break that loop. But until I hear a the reason why, I would go with negative also.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
I made the error of using it a long time ago while plugged in to 50 amp shore power at home. It is a hard disconnect on our 2008 and will not charge the battery on the inverter.

Unless leaving for long storage unplugged keep it on always. If I am going to be unplugged for more than a week I turn it to disconnect as the rear view camera and LP sensor are always powered.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Don’t ask me to explain why but I have had a battery discharge with one terminal disconnected. It was negative I think. I have asked experienced mechanics why and they also have no answer but most have had same experience. That is why I disconnect both.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #20
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I'll go with the negative. I'm thinking maybe less chance for a spark when you oven and close the switch.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote