Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Montana_2406

M.O.C. #2406
2005 SLIDE OUT SEALS

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE WITH A 2005 MODEL HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH SLIDE OUT SEALS LEAKING WATER IN,OR HAS KEYSTONE CHANGED SEALS ON THE 2005 MODELS.WE HAVE 2004 2980 THE BEDROOM SLIDE OUT HAS LEAKED FROM DAY ONE BEEN TO TWO DIFFERENT DEALERS A TOTAL OF FIVE TIMES STILL LEAKS,CONTACTED KEYSTONE THEY OFFERED TO FIX IF WE WOULD BRING TO FACTORY.THE COST OF THIS OPTION WILL NOT WORK FOR US.WHY DOES KEYSTONE NOT HAVE FIELD TECH"S TO BETTER SERVE THERE DEALERS AND CUSTOMERS AS THIS WOULD BE BETTER SOLUTION TO MANY PROBLEMS.

Montana_2406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I could be wrong but I think they do have field techs.When I was having the bed room slide crack problem,and brought it in to my selling dealer.The selling dealer told me that they will contact the "Montana Team".My understanding was it was factory people that came to the dealer to do the repairs.In hind sight this so called "Montana Team"was never called and the repair wasn`t done correctly.Now my new dealer has the ability and the experience to handle the job inhouse.

Not really knowing any thing about the slide seal.I would think its either two things.The seals are not put in right,or the slide it self is mis-alinged.My bed room slide is not sitting flush when retracted but even so I am not getting any water in.Go figure!!!!
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Since, we have no experience with any Montana other than our 2005 3400rl -- we do not know if the seal have been changed -- but we have never had a leak-- and we have been some really hard rains.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have not hany seal problems on any of our slides to date. I check them each time we run the rooms in our out, just an anal habit I have. I think I read somewhere that the seals have been changed in 05. I do know that the slids have been sealed and cleaned up so to speak underneat for the 05 models. Ours looks much different underneath than the older models.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We haven't had any problems either. I wonder if the slide awnings help with that? When we were at the rally, our tour guide showed us how they installed the slide. Hard to see how they could get misaligned, unless it was welded off at the frame builder. They outline the cutout for the slide as they build. Next, they cut out the slide are and build the sides onto the cutout. After the slide is built and the seals are in place, they lift the slide and manually slide it into position, connect the slide actuator and then bolt it into place. The seals are easily viewed during the process. Hope they get yours fixed soon. One of the things that I wouldn't be happy about is a leak.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I have the 2980 and has taken it in for the bed room leak. As of today I will be taking it back for the same leak. The dealer has replaced the seals and it still leaks. I do be leave it's from the down spout on the bed room slide. I still love my unit.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Wendell, do you have the extensions on your downspouts? Our 2005 has the extensions and I'm wondering if that helps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have not had any problems with leaks on our 2005 3670, and I have been watching carefully. We have been through some torrential downpours but no leaks have shown up. I have been careful to make sure that the litle gutter piece on the bedroom slide does not get blocked by the rubber seal. Just looking by eye, the seals on our '05 look better than the ones on out '02 (which also did not leak).

P.S. I have no idea where you live, but if you can possibly get to the factory service depot in Goshen,IN, I would do it, even if you have to incorporate into a vacation trip. Just make sure that they know you are coming. The Elkart/Goshen area has a lot of attactions.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Hi folks,
When you are speaking of seals, are you talking about underneath the slideout or is it someplace else. We had some trouble right at first with the piece of rubber between the base and the slide...I guess you would call that a gasket. When we would slide our bedroom slide out the black gasket would hang out at least 8 or ten inches. It wasn't right. We discovered this the first day that we had the trailer. To make a long story shorter, we finally got it fixed after going to a couple of people that Montana had designated that we take it to. We offered to bring it to the factory , but they didn't want us to do that.
It was agravating to say the least. Now, we never did have a leak to my knowledge, but it wasn't doing the trailer any good with this gasket not in the right place. Just wanted to pass that by all of you and see if you had any problem of this kind.
After we finally got it fixed, we started using the slideout spray on the slides to make it slide better, not that we ever had trouble with it sliding. That just keeps down problems. However, I don't like the fact that on the inside of the trailer where the slide comes onto the carpet, there are black streaks. Have any of you had those to appear. It is like oil or grease. I was wondering if it is from the spray that we used on the slides. I clean it from time to time, but it has never completly gone away.
Let me hear...
Countrygirl
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have had a problem with the gasket (soft rubber) under the bedroom slide getting torn. (literally chewed up). We also noticed a groove developing on the hard board that makes the belly of the slide. We took our Monty in for some warranty repairs 2 months ago... they are still waiting for the right parts to fix that gasket and underbelly. They say they ordered the right parts and Keystone sent the wrong ones. I just hope they also fixed whatever was making the groove. It is a good thing that we still have our stick house. It is frustrating to wait so long.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #11
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
We also have a bedroom slide leak. The water comes in from the bottom. The seals seem to fit flat and tight, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've looked behind/under the seal and there's like a little rain gutter that runs down the sides. At the bottom theres a little spout which faces the rig (faces in). I'm not sure, but I think this is the problem. A design flaw.

I remember reading about another Montana Member having the same experience -- and took their rig into the dealer. I think the fix was the dealer extending the little gutters so that the water wouldn't run into the bedroom.

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
The marks on your carpet come from over spraying your slides. My dealer told me about this and told me to be very careful lubing the slide rails because it would leave streaks on the carpet when the slides are pulled in.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Thanks so much for answering about the streaks problem. I am glad to know , now I can tell my husband to go lighter on the spray. I haven't been able to remove all of the streaks from the carpet. It isn't too bad , and it is partially covered in the living room when the slide is out. Thanks!
Countrygirl
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:43 AM   #14
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I've noticed the seal on the front side of my bedroom slide is being cut by the edge of the rain gutter. It hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm wondering if I should have it replaced by a dealer or just wait until it causes a problem. So far, I've had no leaks (knock wood) and I spent several weeks in the torrential rains in Southern California.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:34 AM   #15
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Yesterday I trudged through deep snow to check the Montana. We had just gone through a bad blizzard and I wanted to check for leaks on the slides. With 6" of loose snow and 50 mph winds on the slide side, I figured that was a great test on the slide seals. I found no snow, no mice, and everything looked great. Temperatures are going to be above freezing this coming week and I am getting excited to go travelling again soon. Happy trails to all.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:50 AM   #16
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I was just told by a dealer that the seals for 2005 are a new design. We "may" possibly purchase the 2955 this week (must decide to get RV show price).
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #17
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913

We were told that the seals on the slides had been changed with the 2005 units when we purchased our unit. I only remember this because we have a friend who has a Keystone product with a leak.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #18
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Since mine was a late build 2004, and has about all of the 2005 changes I have heard about so far, how can I tell if I have the "new" seals?
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sissyph, just wanted to mention if you don't get the one at the show at the show price, you can match or beat that price at your dealer's any time during the year. If you run up against a dealer who won't do that for you, find another dealer. We've done this every time and have had dealers tell us they can give us show price any time. Also, you often can get a better price than the show price if you negotiate a little. That, of course, depends on just how deeply the show price is discounted. 20% is not at all uncommon. Some here have reported getting 28% off msrp.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
sreigle - How do you know what the MSRP is? Where do you find that info... if you asked the dealer he could pull a number out of his hat?
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote