Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Weigh scales- A question.

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

I keep forgetting to ask this until the next time I drive by a weigh scale with a notice 'All trucks must enter if lights are flashing', does that include us when hauling? I never have gone in and never got arrested. Does anyone know?

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have never went in one in the states I have been in. Just for commercial vehicles. I don't know of any state that requires RV's to go into the commercial weigh stations.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is not required in Texas so far. Let's hope it remains that way. Some of us would have overloading problems if we were required to stop.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I live in Massachusetts and it is only for commercial vechiles. But it is not a state law its a Federal law. These scales are operated by the state police of the state your in but the laws they are enforcing are federal laws pertaining to commercial vechiles.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
In Maryland the signs say all trucks over 10,000 pounds. I have read stories about Semis used for RV hauling being stopped for not going into the scales. The need to pull in someitmes depends on the mood of the officials running the scale. I would like some type of official clarification of this matter too. Since we do haul with a semi, I try to interpret the signs in each state as to commerical trucks or all trucks. The next itme I go through Maryland I'm going to pull on the scale and afterwards go into the office and ask.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have any kind of official clarification but did ask a trooper in Kansas about this once. He told me 'trucks' means commercial trucks, not private trucks. We've never stopped at any of these weigh stations in any state and have never been questioned about it. If a signed included "RV" I would stop.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We stopped at a weigh station when entering South Dakota on our way out west. I asked the question about stopping and got the same answer. It's for commercial trucks.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I know of at least one, may be more, Florida DOT check points in Florida where you must stop if you are a commerical or private truck, van or vehicle capable of hauling agriculture related stuff . I also think it covers non agriculture products or loads also. It's located in Fanning Springs on US highway 19/98 alt 27. It's not a weigh station and has no scales. It's just over the Suwannee river going south. Florida DOT personnel man the station. They have made some drug busts there and this may be a check station for smuggling too.

When I first moved here last I bought a lot of land scaping plants from a flea market and nursey and had to stop at the check point each time I came by it. After several stops they finally told me I did'nt have to stop any more if the plants I was carring were purchased locally.

I do see Rv 5th wheels and TT's pulling in there, but I never have with my Montana. They do have chase cars and we have seen them stop trucks that failed to stop there.

This check point is located about a mile or so from a regular weigh station, where I was able to get my TV and 5th wheel weighed at no cost.

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I pulled into one on my way to Virginia. I thought it was a rest area. My wife needed to take 5. There was no place to pull over and park at this particular station. This was an unmaned weigh station. Similar to a drive through at a fast food place. The gentleman over a speaker (there was a video camera) asked if I needed a slip. He said I didn't need to stop. I said no and explained about needing to use the camper facilities. He said there was a rest area about 10 miles up the interstate. There was no requirement for me to stop. But the guy was nice.

In hindsight it would of been good to get the slip just for my own information. At the time I was towing an ultra light travel trailer with a tow capacity of 8600lbs. The ultralight was under 5Klbs loaded I had a pretty good idea of my weight so I didn't see the need.

I noticed on the local interstate I93 there is a weigh station between exits 3 and 4. The Digits for the scale are lit up at night even when the building is dark. Do you think that the scales are active? I've thought of pulling in and trying it with just the truck but I usually get on the interstate at exit 4 if traveling north and I get off at exit 3 if traveling from the south. Infact its probably been two years since I've traveled that 8 mi. stretch of road.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In most every state, the required stops such as check points, scales, etc are for "commercial" trucks only and do not apply to RV's. Even where they have signs posted for a specific weight such "all trucks over 10,000 pounds" these again are for "commercial" vehicles. The Florida produce check points that Floridanomads mentioned are also for "commercial" trucks of any size that are hauling "bulk" produce for resale. I was told by the Florida DOT that this stop was not required for the average Joe that may have a couple bags of oranges or a flat of strawberries or even a few plants in his rig.
The only time I know where an RV must enter a check point is where the tow vehicle is a commercial RV transporter hauling RV's from the manufacturer to the dealer. These commercial transport drivers are also required to have a CDL which we RVers are not.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #11
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
In California only Commercial trucks and rental trucks (yup, even the U-Haul "Adventure In Moving Trucks") must stop. Those pickups hired to move 5ers from the factory to dealerships are considered commercial so they to, must stop. The Motor Carrier division of the CHP have the lattitude to pull over any vehicle to their mobile roadside inspection/portable scales "checkpoints" if they choose. Usually they just target the Big Rigs.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:40 AM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I also believe the weigh stations are for commercial haulers only, unless posted otherwise, like here in the west, a lot of states require people hauling livestock to stop - checking health papers, brand inspections, etc. The scales are active, even when not manned - that weigh you can check your weight. We checked ours once when starting on a trip, just out of curiousity.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:05 AM   #13
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
In Wisconsin if your truck is plated for more than 8000 lbs you must scale. In Indiana the top limit is 13 tons. In Wi the weight limit does not apply to the RV trailer. Our Mobile Home plates take care of that. This is what a DOT supervisor explained to me when I asked. The 8000 lbs limit also applies to commercial vehicles in Wi.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, I didn't know that about Wisconsin! We drove through there last year and didn't stop. When you say "plated" are you talking the license tag or the truck's GVWR?

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote