Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Practice and Testing Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
testing a hosting website

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Some one has way too much time on his hands.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
If we are voting then the wooden Steve looks great.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Haha. These are very old things from back in the days when I was playing with graphics. With all the recent pictures and animations on the forum I went looking for and found a free website to store them at that will allow me to link to them. it's at hostmyimages.com . So now I'm uploading them and trying them to see how they look. I have hundreds of these things but am just uploading and trying a few to see how they look on the blue background. Some are pretty crummy on anything but white. Now for a few more tests...

chrsteve

ani03

greenpls

steve58

standup

engraved

skyliner

tablet

thanks01

thanks02

tbird01

stevea33

steve93

bevel

buttons

nice

patriot

prblue

steve46

steve55

stevea38

stevecol

Old 11-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
........*LOL*

We agree with Glenn & Lorraine AND with Chuck & Carol!
The "tablet" style has a nice, personal touch though.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Steve and Glenn I have lots of time on my hands also. Want to learn neat stuff like you guys do. How do you type a sentence and have it lead to a picture or web site when you click on the words? Steve love your graphics--how you do that? Don't know if my ?'s make any sense or if it's possible to explain how it's done but would appreciate any help (AGAIN)

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd

Steve and Glenn I have lots of time on my hands also. Want to learn neat stuff like you guys do. How do you type a sentence and have it lead to a picture or web site when you click on the words? Steve love your graphics--how you do that? Don't know if my ?'s make any sense or if it's possible to explain how it's done but would appreciate any help (AGAIN)

Sharon
That's an easy one...

When ever you start a New Topic or post a reply set the Format Mode: to "Prompt"

Now all you need is to click on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon.
That's the 9th button in the Format: row.

A small window will open where you type in the Name of the link.
Such as montanaowners.com than click "OK"
Another window will open where you will enter the URL of the link
Such as http://montanaowners.com
Than click "OK"

You should end up with this.....montanaowners.com

NOTE; When posting a reply use the "Reply to Topic" link and NOT the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the thread.

Using the Format: Prompt also allows you to use make text appear bold (B), Italic (I) underlined (U), [s]strick out (S)[/s] and more.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the graphics, I experimented with a number of graphics applications. One of my favorite "smaller" ones is My Type Artist. Makes it very easy to do things like the names above. I see it on amazon.com for four bucks. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72716?v=glance . I see I don't have it loaded on this laptop so need to dig through my cd's and get it loaded again.

Another app I really like is Paint Shop Pro. There used to be a shareware version that has most of its capabilities functional but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Check at http://www.jasc.com. This is a pretty easy to use app that has power far beyond what I know how to do. A few years ago I bought a book in a bookstore that had tutorials. That book was of immeasurable value in teaching me how to use this software. Learn how to use layers and the various tools. I think the book was by Sams and was titled something like Learn Paint Shop Pro in 24 Lessons (or Hours). It was an excellent tutorial that walked you through actually doing every step as you learned. You can do things like the signatures in the above posts as well as many other things.. The ones with a background, like the christmas scene, the car, etc., were done in PSP. You can also use PSP to create graphics and to do things with photos. For example, the following pictures are of our oldest two granddaughters, in their front yard (a few years ago). Vicki wanted me to take out the people in the background. Here you see both the original and the result. It really wasn't hard. I probably spent 15 minutes or less on this one. I lowered the quality on this picture so it will load faster on the forum but the real pics are very clear and smooth.

And they say pictures don't lie!

I also have Jasc's Animation Shop 3. There are lots of apps for creating animations. Mostly I just "procure" those from other websites (rightclick/save picture as)! Animation Shop is fun to play with though. There are others that might be better but I got it free when I bought PSP.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Next year we will be camping at Glacier Campground.. We can't wait. Not true just trying to practice.

Thanks again guys---boy I got a lot of learning to do.

Sharon
Old 11-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #11
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! I'm going to try and learn all this and again thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll have more problems so I hope you don't mind if I bug you again.

Sharon
Old 11-17-2004, 01:19 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
See it wasn't that hard.
If I can learn to do this stuff anyone can learn. Once you have done it a few times it becomes quite easy and the Format mode helps considerably. Sometime you want to try to use HTML (Hypertext Markup Language). HTML is what is used to design web pages and that's where the fun really begins. BUT you cannont use HTML on the MOC.

For graphics I did use Paint Shop years ago but have switched to PhotoImpact. No particular reason for the switch as they both do pretty much the same things. Here are some buttons and banners that I made back when I was heavy into web site design and fishing. I call the my "DAMIFINO" days.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:19 AM   #13
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
BOY MY BRAIN HURTS!!!! I don't think I'll ever be able to learn all this but want to try. Your work looks great and gives me a lot of ideas. Just a note that may bring a laugh to you----I've never caught a fish or gone fishing. I need to get busy and do some things.

Sharon
Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

........*LOL*

We agree with Glenn & Lorraine AND with Chuck & Carol!
The "tablet" style has a nice, personal touch though.

The tablet signature is actually my handwriting from back when I had a pen and tablet. That went to our youngest son when we downsized for fulltiming.

Glenn, nice job on the buttons and banners!

Sharon, no problem. There are probably a number of people on MOC more knowledgeable and skilled in graphics than I am. I'm sure if you just post your questions you'll find plenty of help. Good luck with it. It's lots of fun but also addictive!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:40 PM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I went looking for and found a free website to store them at that will allow me to link to them. it's at hostmyimages.com .
Steve,
I checked hostmyimages website. It did not look like it was free. Inexpensive perhaps. Did I miss something?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:39 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's free for hosting individual images like we use here. But they also offer full webhosting services for a home page and all. I don't think that's free.

To put an image out there use the browse button to find the file on your pc, click 'host it', then in a few seconds up comes a page with a bunch of urls on it. I usually copy the one titled BBC something because it already has the img tags on it, ready to post in this forum. The one just above it is the one I'd otherwise use, without the img tags.

I'm saving the originals I put there in a separate folder on my system, then have a separate file containing the urls corresponding to those pictures. That's because I haven't yet figured out how to find my pictures on hostmyimages once I've put them out there. I haven't spent much time looking for that. But I save the info on my system just so I'll have it handy when I want it.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, or anyone. Do you know what the "insert code" button is for on the Reply To screen? That makes me wonder if it allows some html, like maybe to use a background? Any idea? I'm at a loss on this one.
Thanks.

Just used the Help option and it doesn't tell me much other than it may preserve coding. Perhaps this is for copy/paste, to preserve coding in that situation.
Will have to experiment a little with this.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I'm having the same problem as OntMont. I can't find anyplace where it says it is free .
Old 11-20-2004, 03:33 AM   #19
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I too cannot find where it says free or find a browse button.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's the url I'm using. It should have the browse button and 'host it' button right on that page. You can click on the Frequently Asked Questions at the top of the page for more info. Remember, this is just for hosting pictures. If you want a full website, that's a fee-based service they offer.
http://hostmyimages.net/