Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
In San Diego

After all the problems we had for a while there, we are now in San Diego and enjoying it a bunch. We are on the Sliver Strand ( hwy 75 ) about two miles south of Coronado. Its nice to come back home for a while,but we still think it is too much traffic for us these days. The tides have really been extreme the past few days, 6 & 7 ft. tides which exposes a lot of area usually covered by water and you know what that means, some smell. A pretty good size boat ( I'd guess, 70ft ) that was tied up at the dock has been out in deeper water for three days in order to stay off the bottom. San Diego is turely a beautiful city and we have an excellent view of the downtown area, the San Diego/Coronado Bay bridge, most of the port area, and a view of the airliners landing downtown, which looks like the are going to land right on the I-5 freeway. We are having fun and after leaving here at the end of the month we hope to stop at Big Bend in S.W. Texas on the way back home. San Diego is a great destination but a bit pricey, I think the local KOA is forty plus dollars a day, and the Marina/RV park in Chula Vista is about twice that, to pricey for this old sailor, but if you can afford it there isn't a better city to visit. Happy traveling. Wacot

WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sounds like you might be at the park where we stayed a month last year, Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach! I'm from Chula Vista so I love to read posts about my old stomping grounds. I have a rather small family and they're all in San Diego County so we try to get out that way at least every other year.

Have you been to the Zoo yet? Or Balboa Park? There's so much to see and do there.

Enjoy!!!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
WACOT, I agree with vickir (I was there with her. ). Bernardo Shores RV Resort is on the left side as you enter Imperial Beach from the strand on hwy 75. I once was stationed at the Amphib Base, just down the road where you are now, and at North Island NAS, and across the bay at 32nd St. Naval Station, and also over at the base on Point Loma (ComSubSuppFacPac, although I was on a ship there). So many, many things to see in and around San Diego. We were just there about a month ago but not with our Montana.

We also very much enjoyed Big Bend National Park. Hope you enjoy it, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Yew for sure Southern California is one fine place to visit and enjoy the many places to see relax in their great weather. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Your view of San Diego and mine 46 years ago when I went as an all-expense-paid guest of the Marines to MCRD illicits entirely different reactions. All I saw was sand, concrete, quansite huts and more sand--My home for 13 weeks with no liberty. Then we moved to Camp Pendleton at San Clemente where all the hills only went up.

Big Bend is fantastic and you might consider Guadalupe National Park North of Big Bend near the Texas/New Mexico border. May have to boondock at Guadalupe. If you are a hiker or backpacker, there are some outstanding trails at both.

Really glad you are enjoying yourself.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I guess the post I tried to enter last night did not make it through the cyber channels so I will try another. We stayed at FIDDLERS COVE MARINA/RV PARK, it is located 1.2 miles south of the Amphib base on the bay side of the strand (hwy 75), a great location in all respects for beauty, location, convienence. Although it does not have Sewer hookups it wasn't to bad as we used the black tank sparingly. The spaces are close but facilities are very clean, showers/toilets and a laundry room and limited items store. Wy-fi worked 95% of the time for us. Some 40 sites with water, electric and a large amount that are considered open space. It is a very secure place and is patroled by base police at all hours. You do feel that you are back on active duty when the night host lets you know that you are parked illegally before you even get all the stuff out of your truck, I sort of let him know that he might think of retiring for good as he was well into his 60s or more, only sour apple we encountered in five weeks of travel. You can find info on the place by entering fiddler cove inyour search or go to PATHS ACROSS AMERICA..Happy camping. Wacot.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to hear you enjoyed the visit, WACOT. I never heard of that RV Park. Is it only for military and military retirees or is it open to the general public? Bernardo Shores was a nice place to stay. Not cheap but way cheaper than the KOA and the CV RV Resort. We had a very nice site with a seven foot hedge on three sides for privacy. And the mailman delivered mail to the box on our site. UPS and FedEx, too! We'll check out Fiddler's Cove next time we're in the area. Thanks for the report.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:21 AM   #8
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Yes it is only for Military active duty and retired as well as other DOD personnel who qualify. I was stationed at NAS North Island on two different occasions and never knew the RV place was there and we lived in Imperial Beach area for over twenty years, I saw the sign about a Marina, but as I was not into boats I never thought twice about the place.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Glad to hear you enjoyed the visit, WACOT. I never heard of that RV Park. Is it only for military and military retirees or is it open to the general public? Bernardo Shores was a nice place to stay. Not cheap but way cheaper than the KOA and the CV RV Resort. We had a very nice site with a seven foot hedge on three sides for privacy. And the mailman delivered mail to the box on our site. UPS and FedEx, too! We'll check out Fiddler's Cove next time we're in the area. Thanks for the report.