Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Staples Pretruding along Roof Seam

My son usually volunteers to go up onto the Roof in the late Fall to cover our Montana for storage and today I went up top to take the cover off. I noticed that there are at least 6 staples along the seam edge on both sides of the roof that are just about ready to pop through. This doesn't look good and just asking if any other Montana owners have had this issue. The coach is not even two years old with no more than 5,000 well care for miles. Is this covered under a Keystones Roof warranty? Before I call the dealer thought I'd seek some input. Thanks

F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by F3fifty

My son usually volunteers to go up onto the Roof in the late Fall to cover our Montana for storage and today I went up top to take the cover off. I noticed that there are at least 6 staples along the seam edge on both sides of the roof that are just about ready to pop through. This doesn't look good and just asking if any other Montana owners have had this issue. The coach is not even two years old with no more than 5,000 well care for miles. Is this covered under a Keystones Roof warranty? Before I call the dealer thought I'd seek some input. Thanks
Okay, Should have used the search tool for roof staples. Looks like a common problem on these Montana's. Guess I'll see what the Keystone dealer has to say about a repair.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before you call the dealer call Keystone Customer service. Most folks get a better result starting with Keystone Customer Service and let them open a case before the dealer looks at it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Before you call the dealer call Keystone Customer service. Most folks get a better result starting with Keystone Customer Service and let them open a case before the dealer looks at it.
I talked to the Dealer service department today and of coarse I got the deer in headlight look and service person said they have never had a case of staples coming loose on the roof seam ( largest selling Montana Dealership in Oregon)okay.... but, they told me to contact Keystone to check on warranty status and if in fact it's warranted a claim will be opened. I was told that if it workmanship then it's out of warranty. So at less than 2 years old with 1/2 dozen staples ready to pop through the fabric it's most likely shoddy workmanship and therefore I suspect a denied claim.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
warren0620
Established Member

M.O.C. #12547
I have a 2013, 3402 with the same issues. They are not thru yet, but given time they will be.

warren0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Our 3402RL had the issue and it was covered. We were within warranty at the time. As dick suggested, call Keystone and make your case. Don't give up if the initial answer is no. Play up the quality issue and the money you spent to buy a premium unit and that you expected to get just that. Let them know it's recognized as a common issue on the MOC. Never underestimate the power of the MOC to persuade. I'm sure Dick has phone numbers to move you up the service ladder if necessary.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I had same problem and mine was well within warrantee period. I didn't like the fact the fix was to put in more staples and drive down loose staples. I fixed it myself and it isn't that hard. Remove drip rail with cordless takes about 30 minutes. Roll roof toward center, not glued down in this area. Remove all staples. Didn't want to take chance on others coming loose. I used 1/2" stainless pan head screws. Hardest part is getting some of the staples out.
Some in the past have suggested a block of wood on top of rubber and re-driving staples. I can tell you that is not a permanent fix.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
joe1047
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13901
hello to all,
I had the same problem on my 2008 Everest. mine was still under warranty . keystone gave the dealer 4 hours to do the job. had to pull back the roof only on the one side where the staples were coming through. they used screws instead of staples and glued the roof down again.
I would go up 3 times a year to wash the roof and check for other staples and it never happened again. just traded it in on a 2014 Montana and got it 2 weeks before Christmas. cant wait to use it.
good luck with the roof.
joe1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
busterwms
Established Member

M.O.C. #6931
Noticed staples popped up on our 2013 3402 while at Goshen last year. Keystone took care of it with no problems. Talk to Customer Services. If they insist on using staples, why don't they use barbed ones?
busterwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
update, on the staples coming through the fabric issue . Talked to the Keystone warranty representative today and she asked for pictures of the roof and sections where the staples are protruding. Pictures sent and now I wait for their answer if a repair will be authorized. More to come! The selling dealer also told me to contact Keystone and yes this is NOT an isolated issue with Montana roof staples poking through the outer edge of the Roof cap.