Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2004, 02:42 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Exterior Levels

I’m still in the process of setting up and loading up our new 3400RL. One of the tasks (at least for us) is installing some exterior levels to check side-to-side and front-to-rear level during parking and set-up. One thing I’ve learned is that there is very little flat space on the front of the rig. Before I use glue or screws to attach something, I’d be interested in hearing how and where some of you have attached these levels. Thanks.

Gordon

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Gordon 'nCarol -- Hubby installed two small levels - one is on top of the front cargo bay door and the other on the left side of the door near the button that operates the front electric leveling jacks (that's the one I use when helping to level things out) - it's real handy for me. Hope this helps.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Gordon I put a large level from Camping world about 10 ins. long on top of the king pin frame. That way I can see it from driver's seat. work's well for me.
gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For Side To Side I use the Wheel Master Jumbo Level from Camping World
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m=6440&src=TSC
Also built into this level is a smaller level for front to rear.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Gene.....How did you mount your level on the kingpin frame? Would like to do the same to mine.

Thanks
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I built a box that fits between the top of the pin box and the front cap. It is held there by sealant so I can remove it without damage to the trailer. Then I mounted a "HOPPY" water filled guage on the box. I can see it with my rear view mirror in the truck so I drive in for best level. I do not recommend an oil filled guage because it is too sluggish. Get the hoppy.

I mounted two small levels on the side. One for leveling the trailer and the other one tells me I am alighned and ready connect with the truck. Saves hookup time.

If you want a pix of the hoppy mount, let me know.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Bob I set the level on the lip that sticks out in front about 3/4 in, & drilled 2holes & put 2 sheet metal screws that has worked on both of my 5vers.
Gene
Old 07-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Gene - On my pin box, that'll be laying back a ways. I think it'll still work. Just curious if yours is actually vertical or laying back a bit.
Gordon
Old 07-25-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I built a stainless steel bracket that I mounted the level to and mounted the bracket to the pin box with rivets. Works great, but remember I have a sheet metal shop at my disposal.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:45 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I mounted my large level beside the light above the compartment door on our unit. Works good for me. I just have to look around the end to see if it is level. I am thinking of putting a small one on the side.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:40 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Gordon
We did the same thing by adding a large level from Campers World to the hitch with sheet metal screws. That way I can see how level the RV is in my rear view mirror. Then I added a small level over the cargo door where our front jacks switch is. The combination of both levels the RV with out any hassle or removement of the rig.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GordonR

I’m still in the process of setting up and loading up our new 3400RL. One of the tasks (at least for us) is installing some exterior levels to check side-to-side and front-to-rear level during parking and set-up. One thing I’ve learned is that there is very little flat space on the front of the rig. Before I use glue or screws to attach something, I’d be interested in hearing how and where some of you have attached these levels. Thanks.

Gordon
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Gordon I used a hammer & bent the flange down a bit so that it would set level. Works great for me.
gene
Old 07-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I mounted a large Camper World level to a 1/8" x 6" x 8" pre-painted steel plate near the top of the plate. I then drilled two holes new the bottom of the plate and once levelled, I marked the hole locations just above the front lip on the pin box. After drilling the marked holes, I then secured the level to the pinbox with 2 self tapping screws. On the inside of the drivers side storage compartment, I installed a small Hoppy level to gauge front to back level. I found that is a good location as your in there anyway operating the front jack switch. I am sure lots of people have done it this way or somewhat similar. I have found that with the new appliances in campers now, you don't have to be be perfectly level. It seems funny to say, but I think I can tell how level I am after the first night of sleeping. lol. Good Luck. It really is a pretty easy job.

Virgil and Jo
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's where ours are located:
on the pinbox

and in the basement, curbside
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #15
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks all. I'm going to commit to something in a few days. So far, I'm still using the floor inside the door for side-to-side.
Steve - you and Gruffy have been making excellent use of pictures. Thanks.
Gordon