Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Truck bed height

Hi All. I'm getting ready to make the leap to either a 3400RL or a 3295RK. It'll also be my first foray into fifth wheel towing. I got a pretty good primer on 5er hitches (thanks, Steve), but one basic question remains. I know that the trailer is best towed in a near level position. In my travel trailer, the allowance for differences in bed height are made up by using different hitch bars with various drop heights. How is that accomodation made for high beds with a 5er hitch? (I used to hop up onto the tailgate to sip a beer. With my new truck, it's more than a hop!) Thanks.

GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The hitch in the bed is adjustable as is the pin box.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly
The hitch in the bed is adjustable as is the pin box.
What John said is correct but after adjusting the hitch and pin boa, you may find that the bottom of the 5er is too close to the bed rails of the truck. (Most folks recommend 6" or more clearance.) If that's the case, you'll need to flip the axle on the 5er to raise it or lower the height of the truck bed. After you do that you'll once again have to readjust the hitch/pin box to level the combo out.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks John & Craig. I don't even know that it'd be an issue. I do know my bed is higher than my last truck, and I don't want to do something stupid with the dealer. If anything needs to be done, I'll try to make it part of the deal. Thanks again.

Gordon
Old 07-15-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gordon, I think you'll find the Montanas sit high enough it won't be a problem for you. Lots of folks towing them with same truck as you. Mine's a Ford, 4x4, and I have about 9 inches clearance just by adjusting the hitch in the bed of the truck. The truck rides level. I think the Montana is very slightly nose high but you have to look really hard to see that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the 3400RL and use the chevy to tow it. The dealership had to lower the kingpin two bolt holes down on the main post of the coach. It was in the top two from factory. Took the all of I think 25mins to get mine level and ready to go on down the road. I do have the superglide and that required no adjusting. Have no problem with clearance.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:07 AM   #7
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks folks. We're heading out for a long weekend to do some serious evaluation and maybe even some shopping in a couple hours. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Whew! I'm really glad you guys confirmed that truck beds are getting higher. Between higher truck beds and lower urinals in public restrooms, I was beginning to think I was shrinking or at least not as tall as I used to be. I finally bought one of those steps that drape over the back tires so I could reach into the back of my truck. Works pretty well, hope I continue to remember to take it off the tire before I take a trip. The good ole days were just yesterday, weren't they?
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #9
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Hi, just wanted u to know that we all learn from experience. About 2 yrs ago we purchased a pick up Ford 150 to pull a pop up..technically it should have pulled w/no problem. Truck pulling weight 5000 lbs pop up weighed 3900 lbs. Well we blew a convertor within 1500 miles and it was 1500 miles of dreadful driving. Did not come home w/that popup! Sold it in Texas.
So this year we decided to try it again. This time we picked out the trailer a 2005 Montana 3295RK, sale on condition we find the truck to pull it; then found the truck 3500 Chev dually 4x4. Again, sale on condition that it could pull the Montana. Both dealers went out of their way to match up the rigs. Plus, we hooked up with this Forum and learned so much and took the advice. Thank you, thank you. All was put together and then we went for a test drive and it worked great. Then we signed & paid. Very impressed with the professionalism of both the car and RV dealer. Still getting calls if we are happy with outfit.
Lesson learned: If they want to make the deal they will work with you all the way.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Thanks Silverbait and Syplace. My biggest problem with the height of the bed is probably there’s more of me trying to hop up there than there used to be. We DO all learn from experience. I’m just trying to learn from yours! Will Rogers said there are three kinds of people; “them that learn from reading; them that learn from watching, and them that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” I’m reading like heck right now.

I did just get my deal done! We’re picking up our 3400RL on Friday. I’m like a kid before Christmas right now. I’m starting a new thread regarding the specific hitch. Need some answers there too. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Gordon

Old 07-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
GondonR

Congratulations on your new rig! I neglected to mention the more of me part in my previous post. Preferred to think I was getting shorter not wider. Oh well.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote