Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Duramax not producing heat/purging coolant

I thought I would pass on some information to the Duramax owners. In the past month I have had a problem with my truck not producing any heat. I have a tuner which I can set to monitor coolant temperature. The first occurance, I did not have it set to monitor coolant temp. I had no heat what so ever and the temp guage was burried low (160). Before I could limp it home the coolant surge tank blew off all the coolant-producing an impressive steam cloud behind me. I refilled the coolant (three gallons) and pressure tested the system both engine off and running. I found absolutely no leaks and no pressure build up when running. All seemed to be normal. The second time was yesterday the same thing happened, but had the tuner set to monitor the coolant temp. After reaching only 140*, it fell like a stone to 60*. At about the same point on my trip to work, it blew coolant out the surge tank. I made many calls to my dealership contacts without much help. Everyone said the same thing-head gaskets. I am not a diesel mechanic, but am well versed in gas engines and this made no sense to me-the pressure build up would be near immediate in the event of a head gasket failure. So for lack of better information, I filled the system again and rechecked for leaks-none. This morning, the same exact thing happened. I called a nationally known diesel performance and repair shop I deal with for help and they told me-yup, head gaskets. After a lot of thought and research on the GM repair site, I decided to replace the thermostats. This seemed the most likely and also the cheapest and easiest repair as a starting point. Only a thirty minute job! The response was immediate. The temperature reacted soon after start and went up to the normal 183*-185*. I checked the thermostats and found both stuck-one so tightly it snapped when it let loose. I hate to think of the expense I could have incurred had I taken it to a shop-all of which said I needed head gaskets. I hope this helps someone else.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
knighton91
Established Member

M.O.C. #10855
I also have a Duramax and am new to diesel engines. This is great information I hope I never need, but thank you for sharing your experience.
knighton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Just for clarification Kevin, were both thermostats stuck open or closed, I can see the condition happening if one was open (normal when cold) and the other was stuck closed. This would create a situation where the anti freeze could only circulate from the engine to the rad but not return to the engine, it would then build up pressure which has to go somewhere.

I just replaced the thermostat on my Dodge, it only has one and it was stuck open, so I was getting no heat at all. The thermostat had a rubber portion on the sealing edge and that had deteriorated and jammed it open.

Sure glad you persevered and did not take the "expert" advice right off the bat.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Ed, both were stuck closed. The duramax uses a primary and secondary or, bypass thermostat. The primary was the one stuck badly. With both stuck, it would not allow ANY circulation of coolant and so no heat.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
That is interesting Kevin, I would have thought that if there was no circulation the engine would reach high temp pretty quick. One would assume the the temp sending unit would be in the block and you would see this right away.

Must be a Chevy thing....no no no I did not just say that, just kidding.

I was always told that if you have a blown head gasket you will see air bubbles in your rad with the cap off, on compression the air enters the water jacket and you get the bubbles.. Might just be an old mechanics pipe dream however.

Regardless I am glad you have the problem solved.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Kevin - what year is your Chevy and how many miles are on it?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
John, thanks for bringing my lack of attention to detail to light. I've added to our signature. Our 2008 has 138,000 miles on him. We're looking forward to "Vinnie" and "Hannah" being together for a long stretch.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Well my truck 2005 GMC Duramax has 150k mi (230KM) and the head gasket is gone. It is in the shop now. An indicator is if the top rad hose is hard in the morning is one indicator. Compression is being pused into the coolant system and forcing it out. I ran with the coolant reservoir cap loosened for a couple of months, but it had to be fixed. I saw the head gasket yesterday. It is not uncommon for the head gaskets to go.Just hope that I can get another 100k on this job.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The heat on my 03 Duramax only works when I turn it up to 90 I wonder if that is the problem? I will change the thermostats tommorow just for the heck of it ,small problem for a otherwise reliable truck with 160k and original injectors
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Kevin, Thanks for sharing your experience.
First place I'll look if we lose heat.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Jim, I sent you a PM.