Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Hitch decisions

Now that we've decided on a Monty as our first choice, we need to figure out what kind of hitch to use. Since we have a long bed, we don't need a slider as mentioned in another recent thread. There are also some fifth wheel hitch type variations I would like to explore. Of the major types I am aware of, there are static, dynamic/air ride (as opposed to slider), and ball. Here are my thoughts on these from what I have read so far.

Static: This is the standard type of fifth wheel hitch. I would probably go with the B&W Companion for this type. They have a good reputation. Having a flat bed to use while not towing would be nice. If I ever sell the truck to a farmer down the road, it would already be set up for a gooseneck and I could move the companion to the next TV. But, having a hitch with rails may save some money up front. I would certainly want one that pivots left/right and front/back.

Dynamic/Air Ride: I'm aware of a couple of variations, the TrailerSaver/Hensley BD3 and the TrailerMate. This type would likely reduce transient loads that would otherwise be absorbed mostly by the rear tires. I'm guessing the TrailerSaver is probably the standard here, though at an extra $1,000 compared with the TrailerMate. I'm not sure about the TrailerMate, other than it being an ugly gold color. It mentions not bouncing like an air ride, but then I'm not sure how it would handle a long stretch of concrete expansion joints without eventually compressing to the point of no longer being dynamic. Of these, I would probably lean towards the BD3.

Ball: I know of the traditional gooseneck ball and the issues with the gooseneck 'lever' and the forces that would apply to the frame not designed to handle it. I think I would avoid using this type of ball hitch. But, there is also the Andersen Ultimate ball hitch. This avoids the issue with the gooseneck lever by placing the ball at the same plane as the pin. It provides the flexibility of ball movement without the lever forces on the frame. Compared with other hitches, the steel tube frame is also light weight at only 40 pounds plus rails for that version. The ball never needs greasing. And, the cost is also low compared with the other hitches I have mentioned.

I have read there may be issues with a ball hitch if turning onto an off camber road. A fifth wheel hitch may hit the pivot limit and prevent the trailer from crushing the side of the truck box. But, this makes me wonder some other things. Where would these forces go if the trailer cannot move freely after reaching the hitch pivot limit? Could these forces be the causes of some of the frame failures when using a fifth wheel hitch? If using a ball in this situation, the added hitch flexibility may allow the side of the box to be crushed. But, which is the less expensive repair, the truck box or the trailer frame?

So, how do you go about comparing the pros/cons of hitches to determine which is best for a given set of constraints? Thanks.

Tim

TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We were one of the first travelers to have the TrailerSaver hitch installed in 2003. They had manufactured them for the medium duty trucks and then people like us started asking about them. So they developed the hitch for the light duty trucks. Having said that, would I buy another one if I had to? You bet. It's not only been a trailer saver but it has also saved me from being so tired after a day of traveling. It removes most all of the chucking and does away with bounce. But each person has to do what they have to do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Orv,

Are you referring to the BD3, the TS3, or a different/earlier model? You mention it removing chucking. Is that when combined with the Mor/Ryde as in your signature or with the hitch alone?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you go with the "static" hitch, you can add an air cushioned pin box such as 5th Airborne or Trailair. Both get good reviews from users. I have a 5th Airborne. I had very little chucking to start with, just a few places mostly on certain concrete highways. The 5th Airborne eliminated virtually all that. Plus it softens the shock between the truck and trailer. Everything rides smoother.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Ditto on the fifth airborne, but since this is my first fifth wheel, nothing else to compare with. Have to say very noticeable difference in ride with the new hitch, although nothing can tame the exceptionally lousy concrete california freeways!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Thanks for pointing me towards the 5th Airborne. I did a quick check on it and stumbled on yet another option, the Reese Goose Box.
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...7390%20&part=0
It has the air ride of the 5th Airborne, would work with just the B&W Turnover Ball (without Companion), and is approved by Lippert.
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...id=34:products

This would certainly fix the issue of what to do with the hitch while parked for several months at a time. Instead of leaving it hanging from the pin, I could just flip the ball over.

It says it "Fits Lippert #1621 and #1716 wing sets" Any idea of if this fits the Monty?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
I discovered an example of a danger with the Goose Box (and other air systems).
http://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29418-Should-have-listened-to-Porthole!-Pics-of-Carnage!
In this case, the air bag developed a leak, deflated, and resulted in damage to the truck box and trailer. It didn't look like much vertical movement was needed before damage could occur. Though not necessarily likely and the damage was covered by Reese, it does add another 'risk' item to the comparison.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TimButterfield

Orv,

Are you referring to the BD3, the TS3, or a different/earlier model? You mention it removing chucking. Is that when combined with the Mor/Ryde as in your signature or with the hitch alone?

Thanks.
Tim
The TS3. It removed the chucking. The MOR/ryde Individual Suspension reduced the bouncing of the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
I also have a Hensley with the on board air compresser ( TS-3 I think )so it keeps it at the right level , this is the second trailer and second truck it has been used with and no way would I be with out it , when you look in the rear view mirror and watch it working and not feeling it in the truck you know it was the right thing to do ,I also feel the less jarring the trailer has the less wear it will have
When I want to haul my gooseneck trailer I lift it out of the bed and install a Reese gooseneck plate with ball (same rails fit both)
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Thanks, Orv and Alsan. The TS3 looks like a really nice hitch, especially with the in-cab air gauge and controls. But, it is also a heavier hitch. It looks to be about double the weight of the BD3 (about 300 vs 160 pounds). I was guessing about 150 pounds for a hitch weight and the TS3 would eat into my estimated/calculated 490 pound (rear GAWR) safety margin.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
I have a garden variety Pull Rite. It has the under bed mount so that I can remove the entire hitch when not needed. Its certainly not as fancy--or expensive as the previously mentioned hitches, but I can guarantee, there is no chucking. The hitch fits tight and is a joy to use. It does take about 20 minutes to either assemble or disassemble. Its not very heavy, considering there are three parts to assemble. First, the removable rails, then the base, and finally the receiver.
One item of security I like is that when those jaws lock around your kingpin, it ain't comin' off, until you want it off.
denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do NOT do the ball. The converter used to convert the trailer's pin to ball-compatible will ruin most warranties for residential fifth wheels because of the stress. So this option should not be on the list for a Montana towable.

The B&W conversion to support the ball for other trailers is nice. If the B&W does not have an air bag option, then you can still use the B&W hitch and improve the towing ride by improving the trailer pin and the trailer's suspension. There are many improvements including air, rubber and the like for the trailer.

I've wondered that improving the ride of the truck with air bags at the hitch might hide what the trailer is going through. The trailer and truck are supposed to take all the abuse, but there's nothing wrong with improving things for both (I think Orv did this).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
denandannie, Thanks for the Pull Rite mention. I'm not sure which one 'garden variety' is. If I go that route, it would probably be the Super 5th.

Art-n-Marge, I would not use a gooseneck converter on a king pin to connect with a ball. The two ball hitches I mentioned were different than that, though. The Andersen has the ball in the same plane as the king pin, just a few inches in front of it. So, no additional stresses there. The other was the Goose Box, which is Lippert approved. (See the Lippert link I included.) It replaces the entire king pin assembly and has an air bag built in for a smooth ride.

I'm just trying to consider all of my options. I think my current preference, always subject to change as i continue to learn, would be getting the B&W Companion with the Mor/Ryde option on the Monty. It seems a safe, conservative choice.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Forgot to ask: denandannie led me to Pull Rite and the Super 5th. It has the auto-locking feature. Does the B&W Companion have that also?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have the Super 5th. We like it for the following reasons:

Dual plane pivot
When hitched, it is hitched (unless you high-hitch)
Rather than pincher hitch, it is a full pull (perhaps the reason it is a Pull-Rite?)
Handle is below bed rails
Minimal maintenance
Can be removed in pieces rather than as a whole
When trailer is on hitch, handle cannot be pulled open (it is also lockable)

With the rails (optional), the bed is empty when all is removed.

When coupled with a Glide-Ride pinbox we don't even know our home is behind us when pulling.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Thanks, Michael & Kat, for the reasons. I took a look at the Glide-Ride. It seems similar to the Mo/Ryde, but with a bit of vertical movement instead the side to side movement.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
For the hitch = what Michael and Kat said. We have the 20.5K. For the pin-box, we have the Mor-Ryde, but we switched out the stock rubber for a lower rated, therefore softer, rubber that noticably improved its performance. Gary at Mor-Ryde did this for us at the Goshen Rally two years ago.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
Nu5r
Established Member

M.O.C. #11980
We also have the PullRite Super5 and the MorRyde pin box. We just returned from a round trip from Idaho to Southern California to visit our grandkids. Took I-84 then I-15 the whole way. Except for the 'lousy' California FWY from the Nevada border to about Barstow, the trip was fairly comfortable. Had just a few bounces, but nothing very long or severe (except for that #}$&@ California stretch).

Ray
Nu5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
TimButterfield
Established Member

M.O.C. #12495
Thanks for the additional PullRite comments. Thanks Kathy & Dave, too, for the Mor/Ryde comment. I was not aware the inner rubber could be changed. Softer rubber could give it a bit of an air ride quality.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I installed a Curt Q24. Very easy to use, even DW likes the simplicity. It has 4 point movement and a great latch system. With the Moryde it works as advertised. No problems on recent 6,000 trip. Have had many RV owners comment on how nice the Curt works. It can be moved easily out of truck bed when not needed. Read many reviews and I am pleased with my selection.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote