Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
frankandpam

M.O.C. #11210
Trailer brake concerns for Chevy 2500HD

My wife and I own a 2009 Chevrolet 2500HD Diesel with (at the time of the event ~30,100 miles). My wife and I are full time RVers pulling a 37-foot Montana 5th wheel.

While driving back to the campground we are staying at, the Driver Information Center (DIC) displayed the following message:

SERVICE TRAILER BREAK SYSTEM

As we were not towing anything, and the truck brakes gave no indication of trouble, we drove immediately home. We have never received this message before. Upon arriving home, I contacted the closest Chevrolet dealer in St George, UT, to schedule an appointment for the following afternoon. I then looked up the message in the truck manual. The Chevrolet manual (page 3-73) clearly states that you should turn the ignition off, check the connections, and then turn on the ignition. If the message “ still displays, either your vehicle or the trailer needs service.” The implication is that if the message does not reappear, there is no problem. Obviously there were no (visible) connections that could be checked, as we were not towing the 5th wheel.

The next day when we started the truck to go to the Chevrolet dealer, the message did not reappear. In spite of the manual‘s instructions (or lack of instructions when the light does not reappear), we took the vehicle to Chevy. The Chevrolet dealer’s service department inspected the truck. The summary report on the invoice says (and I quote):

“...C1115 stored as history...trailer brake system is working normal at this time.. Found DCC#2491825..which outlines wiring chaff concern near e-break pedal.. inspected wiring chaffing..circuits rubbing on bracket, repaired, and covered harness with conduit.. repositioned away from e-brake bracket..”

After speaking to the service department it is obvious that Chevrolet knows this is a problem, but this DOC (called a “bulletin” by the Chevrolet dealership) is not public knowledge. We were also told that this was a continuing intermittent problem as found by reading the on-board compute logs.

Failure of the trailer braking system while pulling a 14,000 trailer could result in major injuries to the driver, passenger and others on the road as well as substantial property damage. It is unthinkable that, Chevrolet, knowing that this is a problem with their braking system, with possible catastrophic consequences, is silent and does not inform the vehicle owners, or that the dealerships do not. How many of these trucks are on the highway towing large (both RV and commercial) trailers with their drivers having no knowledge of this potential problem. I hate to think of someone trying to stop on an 6- 8% downhill grade, typical in mountains everywhere, or on wet roads. After over a 100 years of building vehicles, the Chevrolet designers do not know how to run wires safely to prevent this from occurring?

frankandpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a similar problem with our 08 Ford "trailer wiring fault" although no trailer was hooked up. Turns out there is a TSB (technical service bulletin)
on this condition. To be simple it was (Water Intrusion)in the 7 pin barrel connector that was not visible from the outside. The entire wiring harness and barrel assembly was still under warranty (5 years 50K miles) on the Ford and the dealer replaced the entire mess last week. Problem solved.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There are a lot of service bulletins that the dealers get that we know nothing about as owners! The only one I have been notified on is the heater element for the windshield wiper fluid being faulty and to bring it in. I did so and they disconnected my wiper fluid heater and gave me some money to boot! Not a bad deal, if you ask me!

There are service bulletins from the manufacturer to the dealers and service reps coming out all the time from all of the Big 3 manufactures and in a lot of the cases the Service Reps that you check in have no idea these are even out only the service mechanic does.

I had the same problem as you with my 2007 1/2 Chevy and it was found, like Rich's example, that it was in the connector in my truck box and the wires there that were the problem and all it took was the service mechanic to hear what it was doing and he went right to the connector and it took less than 5 minutes to correct.

With the computers now in our TV's there is so much that is monitored that it's surprising that we don't get more messages come up on the dash. As for me, I'm glad we do have them and they are giving us the messages they are. If we were back in the 60's or so we wouldn't have these messages popping up and it would be even more of a risk than now. We can cuss and complain about the new things on the units today but thank God we do have them and they are working for our benefit!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
frankandpam,
If you feel this needs more attention file a compaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Just had my truck in for this very thing 2 days ago. It started about 2 months ago and would come on during a rain or after washing the truck and would not reappear. Last week, it would come on every time I started the truck. I had the 5th wheel hooked up once during the message and I had NO TRAILER BRAKES. It turned out to be a sensor. I was told it is a fairly common problem and will be one of two things. The sensor (which is the cheapest fix) or the more expensive Electronic Module.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote