Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Keystone Certified Pre-Owned Program

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a used Monata's and specifically the 3465SA or something similar. I also like the 3700 but I think the model only came out last year. I want a coach 2-3 years old.

In looking at used 5th wheels I came across the NuWa "Certified Pre-Owned" program on their website. I REALLY like this way of purchasing a used RV. I am hoping that this thread will spark interest and discussion of this idea for Keystone. They might find that their is stong enough interest in this that they would consider implimenting it.

One advange to me is that I am cynical about the "value added" by local RV dealers.

I feel that if Keystone were to add this as an option it would be an interesting way to adjust their business model without damaging their relationship with their dealers. We (you and I) could buy directly from Keystone with regard to used RVs. Many "resellers" in business use similar models when they have small shops who don't have the manpower or expertise to afford a "Certified Pre-Owned" program or to simply be able to do a competent job of inspecting a rig and bringing it up to par with current Keystone standards. A local repair shop will not always fix things right and may used replacement parts that are not up to Keystone standards.

What say you? Would you be interested in a program like this? Why?

kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
After having been around the RV business some forty years, there is one thing I'm sure of; your satisfaction will be as good as your selling dealer. I personally would not buy from a dealer that would not do a PDI (pre delivery insp.) with me. It would be his responsibility to show me everything working and how to do it myself or no deal. With the RV forums available to us today, we should be well educated buyers. RV dealer reputations included. I reccomend an extended warranty purchase, as some electronic malfunctions can be very expensive, Refrigerator for example. I don't think any indorsement, or website can assure me as well as knowing my selling dealer. In that alone do I find comfort.IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nu wa went into bankruptcy in Jan of 2009 and reacting to the economic turn down dropped most dealers and went to a "dealer factory outlet" concept including factory direct buy
in a attempt to survive and it appears to be working. Keystone and other manufacturers that weathered the economic crisis did not have. to do that. They still have a strong dealer network.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Nu wa went into bankruptcy in Jan of 2009 and reacting to the economic turn down dropped most dealers and went to a "dealer factory outlet" concept including factory direct buy
in a attempt to survive and it appears to be working. Keystone and other manufacturers that weathered the economic crisis did not have. to do that. They still have a strong dealer network.
Rich, thanks for that info. Interesting to know about NuWa.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

After having been around the RV business some forty years, there is one thing I'm sure of; your satisfaction will be as good as your selling dealer. I personally would not buy from a dealer that would not do a PDI (pre delivery insp.) with me. It would be his responsibility to show me everything working and how to do it myself or no deal. With the RV forums available to us today, we should be well educated buyers. RV dealer reputations included. I reccomend an extended warranty purchase, as some electronic malfunctions can be very expensive, Refrigerator for example. I don't think any indorsement, or website can assure me as well as knowing my selling dealer. In that alone do I find comfort.IMHO Larry
Larry, thank you for your reply. It is always good to hear from the industry experts. While I agree with you in principle there are issues that implied in your message. The first is the huge assumptions in the degree of integrity and quality with regard to the services you mention on the part of the dealer. The RV forums on the web are replete with dealer horror stories...and so goes the struggle..to find competent, honest and fair business people in the marketplace. A "Certified Pre-Owned" program puts the noose around their neck in terms of performing on their promise because the promise is spelled out much more clearly and in terms that can be taken to court. Dealers are far more slippery than the OEM in those terms. Again, much respect for your opinion but many of us would disgree.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm not sure why a company that has weathered the economic downturn over the last several years, would want to start a "Certified Pre-owned" program to begin with. If I could sell to a network of dealers and absolve myself of further economic responsibility, why would I not want to do it that way? In my mind, these things are not built well enough to offer Certified coaches in the future. I know ifin I were a dealer, I would not want anything to do with this kind of program.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I know ifin I were a dealer, I would not want anything to do with this kind of program.....
Of course you wouldn't because you would not be able to sell junk or dangerous product.
Case in point:
An unsuspecting buyer decides on a great looking rig that look good inside and out. He has no knowledge of tire expiration dates and does not realize that after 7 years the typical RV tires regardless of having a lot of tread are in fact very dangerous.
Since this is not a Certified Pre-Owned rig the salesman knows it's the buyers responsibility. Buyer drives 20,000 pound motorhome off lot thinking he has a great rig while in fact his life is quite in danger doing 60 mph down the road with badly cracked tires that have deep tread.
A Certified Pre-Owned program would not have let a saleman sell my wife and I such a great rig with a not so obvious and life threatening flaw.....enough of a reason?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree with the concept of " certified pre owned RV" however as Phil pointed out I don't think these things are built well enough, any brand to do that evidenced by the fact that very few do.Nu Wa went to that program in a attempt to survive bankruptcy and I hope it works.If it does other manufacturers may take notice.

Dealers IMO take a bad rap, There are bad dealers but the vast majority of them are good dealers.It only makesgood business sense that a dealer would be sensitive to the consumers needs.
Post on forums are problem oriented and we only hear bad things.Same with dealer post.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Tom_Holsinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #10492
I agree that dealers are unlikely to cannibalize their new RV sales by creating their own certified pre-owned programs, but I also doubt that they'd honk off prospective customers by refusing to service used RV's covered by such manufacturer programs. Most dealers will happily service used RV's regardless of who ultimately pays for the service, as long as the RV owner is responsible for payment.

In terms of assurance of quality dealer work, that is generally the customer's job in checking out RV dealers. It's not hard to do. Any given customer might live in an RV "desert" where there are few dealers none of whom are trustworthy, but life is like that.
Tom_Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #10
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Just in general as an average consumer, after owning 3 Keystone coaches and buying them all new, these rigs have ALOT of initial bugs to be worked out in the first few months of ownership. I've had this current Montana to the dealership at least 5 separate times since September '10 for various warranty related repairs due to initial flaws. A pre-owned rig certified by the factory would lower the price of purchase, will likely have most of the factory issues resolved during its initial ownership and gives you peace of mind knowing there is a warranty backing it should something go wrong. I would certainly consider that option, especially as these new rigs push the price point toward $100K. Like Larry said, JMHO.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am going to ask that question to "the powers that be" at the fall rally as to why not a "dealer certified program" It is on my list. To those who do not know the top level Montana/keystone folks are always there and since I am the Pancake Bkfst coordinator and they never miss a free meal.. I got them or they don't eat...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good response Rich.

I have a question for you: Why do you have a snow plow package on your TV, when you are always in Florida for the Winter? What are you plowing down there?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Snow in Florida....It could happen. Maybe Mickey Muck

the snow plow package does not include the plow. It means a higher rated axle and heavier springs, etc. we also have the "camper package " on the rear for a Slide in camper again bigger springs, etc.Gives the truck GVWR of 13K.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I am going to ask that question to "the powers that be" at the fall rally as to why not a "dealer certified program" It is on my list. To those who do not know the top level Montana/keystone folks are always there and since I am the Pancake Bkfst coordinator and they never miss a free meal.. I got them or they don't eat...
Now we know who the real gatekeeper is....way to go!