Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Water Purifier or Softener?

We are learning so much on this forum! We are excitedly waiting for our Montana to arrive in spring and are getting outfitted for the inside and outside during the wait. Ideas and advice on this forum have been invaluable. So ... thanks!

Question: Do you recommend a water purifier or softener or both? We plan on traveling around the country so the locations will vary a lot. I am most concerned about things rinsing cleanly and not leaving a residue as well as the taste of the water itself. We do plan on having a stackable washer and dryer. We will be washing clothes as well as routine dishes, ourselves and our dogs. (We show dogs so they get more baths than some and need to rinse cleanly.) Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Walt and Lynne & 3 Cavaliers
2010 Montana 3400RL soon to be our traveling home

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hard water can be very hard, for that you really need a softener.

I am not sure if a purifier will do that for you.

We use bottled water for drinking.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I love our water softener, it's portable and uses table salt; Camping world. We don't filter the water, many do.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We were in NM, for a year and the facets accumulated a white flakey mineral, calcium maybe and the water has arsenic in it. We started drinking store bought water. When we were transfered to Az, same company the water was even harder, one of the other workamper showed us their water softener from camping world, same as OZ. Every week I put the table salt in and run to clean it out and back flush each month. The facets do not turn white, around the edges. We are happy we got it. hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
we also have the "On the Go" portable water softner sold at CW. For drinking water we use a Pur water filter pitcher that you can buy at Wal Mart, works very well improving the taste of the water.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Do you prefer a Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet? Water treatments can be as diverse as individual taste. I like the double Culligan filter system (from Home Depot or Lowes) with a particulate filter in one side and a charcoal filter in the other. That gives me clean water with no discernable taste.

Also, I am too cheap to spring for a water softener. however,a softener would filter AND remove calcium and other minerals that make water hard. Makes showers better AND (if you have a washer/dryer) in your coach) makes clothes come clean and soft using plain vinegar as fabric softener.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Both. We use a filter before the water softener, an in house filter after the softener and then use a Brita pitcher for drinking water and ice cubes. We have the softener that uses rock salt. We find the combination works well for us.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

Question: Do you recommend a water purifier or softener or both?
Thanks!

Walt and Lynne & 3 Cavaliers
2010 Montana 3400RL soon to be our traveling home
We don't have a softener but we do have a dual input filter and then filter that water in a Brita pitcher. I think that you will find with traveling experience that you really don't need a softener. Sure, you'll run into that situation where the water may be harder than you'd like but we've found those places to be rare. Adding a softener just gives you more weight to haul around. My recommendation: you don't need it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
This is the water softner I use. http://www.flowpur.com/html/rv_water_softener.html The reason I chose this one is because I did not want it to turn off the water (the "On the go" has a gallon timer) while the DW is in the shower and we all know if it is going to happen it will happen when she is in it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gallon timer lasted about 1 week around our place. That thing was about as lame as, well, LAME!! Al just does a regen or whatever needs to be done on a schedule.

Have not needed in Gulf Shores, would NOT be without it in RGV Texas. The water there was so hard it made my hair and the york hair, IMPOSSIBLE to comb without tons breaking off. Even Al noticed the HUGE difference in the water after the water softener was purchased and used.

Of course, your comfort zone probably is mucho different than ours.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote