Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
jimmarf

M.O.C. #10077
Diesel tuner programmers

I am looking into purchasing a tuner for my 06 F350 6.0 TD to increase the HP, Torque and Mileage. Does anyone have any recommendations?

jimmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
MidnightWolf

M.O.C. #10121
Banks systems are a great start. Note that if you get a package that includes a power PDA you dont need the Speed Loader. Check your warranty info to make sure, but I think Banks is honored by auto makers...
MidnightWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Any power adder is going to void your powertrain warranty.

You are going to want either gauges, or a programmer with built in gauges, because when you turn it up, it has a tendency to run hotter, and you need to keep and eye on things.
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You will get torque and horsepower but MPG is a question. Most drivers with more HP use it and that cuts MPG. Big boys and their toys.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimmarf

I am looking into purchasing a tuner for my 06 F350 6.0 TD to increase the HP, Torque and Mileage. Does anyone have any recommendations?
To get more HP and Torque, it takes fuel to get that, so you do the math.
I would think that TV had plenty of power to pull a Monty.
My personal oppoin on Banks is there over priced for the HP given to the TV, and after the sale it's pick a number for future warintee work.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides Banks Engineering there is Edge Products or Diesel Power Products, that I am familiar with. However, there are many others. But these are the only three brands that I am familiar with.

The Banks stuff is pricey but works better when you integrate much of their other stuff which is what I did on a prior truck I owned. The truck had outstanding performance and when towing I gained 2-3 mpgs. When I wasn't towing, the hot-rodding probably hurt my mpgs . If you are getting just the tuner, then they might be over priced.

I was considering Edge products but now being retired I am waiting for my TV warranty to end, then I'll have to see what the funding situations would be like.

When I first tried going through a Ford dealer, the one I researched offered DPP tuner, with Banks turbo charger and exhaust products but only they would continue to honor the warranty if I went to them exclusively and I don't live close to them any longer.

Whatever you do, it is highly recommended to consider gauges. You will need to keep your eyes on several things when using the performance upgrades, like turbo boost, trans temp, exhaust temp, actually the list is long. You might also have warranty concerns even buying through Ford.

Good luck on your search. Let us know how it turns out so we can be green with envy.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Jimmarf, if you get a chance PM me and I can get you in contact with some experienced techs and users in this area to help you with advice and direction on tuners and chips.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
banks .edge products, bullydog products. there is a magazine called diesel power.in that book there is all types of progamers in that book. i hav the edge product.you shift on the fly with this product.it has a pyrometer and boost gauges built into this product.very satisfied with it.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
SCT with custom tunes is going to be your best bet for the 6.0 PSD. They don't have built in gauges so you will have to install some. SCT also tunes the tranny wich many others don't and when you are pulling that is very necessary or you will burn it up. ANY programmer or tuner WILL void your warrenty whether a dealer installed it or not. I have the Bullydog PMT with built in gauges and tons of options and love it, however I mostly just use stock mode. Once in awhile I will bump it up to tow(touchscreen shift on the fly) when pulling a good grade. But always watch the gauges. Do not let anyone talk you into the cold air intake,especially K&N. Not needed, the stock is good for up to 500HP. The biggest thing I would recommend first is a good 4" turbo back exhaust. See how you like the truck with that and then maybe a programmer. If your looking for better milage forget the programmer. It not enough to justify the cost of the add ons IMHO.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
The replacement cost of that 6.0 is between 10 and 15K, there are poeple here that can give you an exact amount based on experience after putting in a chip. There is no warranty.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You should go to dieselstop.com for tons of info on programmers, chips and other modifications. However towing with the additional horsepower and torque will result in additional heat in your engine and turbocharger that if not monitored can result in very expensive damage.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I suggest that call 319-294-0100. Hus name is Kevin Knapp and is quite a diesel man. Good luck and let me know how you come out.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
116 River Bend Drive
Hoschton, GA 30548
828-221-0076
Fax-866-731-5606

This is one of the best tuners for diesel trucks. Jody will program the chip while you watch and install it for you. its very reasonably priced. I have used it in my 7.3 now for several yrs, mine has 4 settings, that you only push a button on the dash as you drive. I did add the 5" exhausts, DIY cold air filter, and pillar mounted gages. If you add any type of tuner always add the gages if you dont already have them. tuners of any kind will void your warrenty if you still have it.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I installed a SPARTAN tuner to my 08 6.4 Ford. I'm running the 210 hp tune, thats 560 engine HP. They do affect your mpg mine went from 13.4 to 17 mpg. My truck is like a different truck.
Be careful your with your 6.0. They do have some head problems. I had a 6.0 and loved it. The 6.0 is much more responsive than a stock 6.4. Do your research. This can not be stressed to much on your 6.0.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'm new to the whole diesel engine thing and have been trying to learn as much as possible from lots of forums. Programming keeps popping up as a topic and I guess I don't get it.

Unless you are deliberately trying to push your drive train towards something it wasn't intended to do, like drag racing or pulling a tandem trailer rig full of cement, I don't see why you would want to risk modifications that would void a warranty or even just take a truck outside of its design limits.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are people that are knowledgeable about the engines and the risk they are taking. I even appreciate that some folks do this almost like hobbyists for the joy of working and pushing the envelope on mechanical things. What I don't get is why an average guy with an RV lifestyle would stand to gain from this stuff.

It seems that the risk to reward ratio is a little off if you're truck is just being used to pull your home. What am I missing? Why would an average guy want to put his knowledge and skill up against the professionals that develop these things for a living?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
After you get your 2010 Dodge check to see how much fuel you have in your oil when you get the oil changed. Most likley you will have several percent fuel in the oil. The worst thing you can do to a diesel engine is to have water in the oil second is fuel in the oil. The only way to get rid of the fuel in the oil is to get rid of the DPF. to do that you haft to get a tuner, not legal but. My Ford had 13 percent fuel a friend has a 09 Dodge it had 6 percent. All Dodges and Fords after 07 do this. Fuel is injected in the cylinders on the exaust stroke. Then it weeps down in the oil. Again do a little research. On the 7.3 Ford said fuel should be under 2% on the 6.0 it was under 5% on the 6.4 the the wont say.
Lynwood
Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
x2 on DP Tuner. That's what I'm going with. He has an exhaust brake tune too - can't beat that for $50. Also, good advice on the gauges - get 'em for sure. Not sure what exhaust you have but you might want to go bigger on that along with a better flowing air cleaner. Call Jody at DP Tuner and he will tell you all you need to know.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
So what happens is that without the DPF you don't need regen, which means your programmer changes things so you don't inject during the exhaust stroke, which means no weeping, and no fuel in the oil.

Do I have that right?

When you say this is not legal are you talking about federal or state laws? I know that in my state (Massachusetts) you couldn't even sell these trucks without the DPF and EGR and you'd get nailed at every annual inspection for not having this stuff.

When I go full time and change domicile to another state does this issue change. I know SD requires no inspections at present. So are you legal in SD without a DPF and a reprogrammed engine?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #19
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
Something else to consider is exhaust. One saying is air in and air out. Larger exhaust pipe will help move the air out. Exhaust temperature will also drop some.
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You are correct it is not legal state or federal. here in western VIRGINIA it is not checked. You need a programmer to remove the DPF or your truck will go into pertinent regen. NOT GOOD! The Spartan tuner is not now being made for your Dodge truck. I think it soon will be. The best part of the tuner is the DASH DAQ gages. They can be set to display almost anything you wont to monitor, engine oil temp, coolant temp, transmission oil temp, turbo temp. converter slip, MPH MPG RPM, fuel rail pressure and temp, and about 200 more including stuff you never knew existed, like fuel band width? You choose what you wont to display. About 6 to 8 things are displayed on the screen at once. They can be displayed as round gages, number read outs line graphs etc. Each display can be set with a low high and max setting. When you reach the high limit the unit will warn you with a beep or tell you "engine oil temperature high". You can change from screen to screens by touching the screen. Each screen will display 6 to 8 new things of your choice. It is far better than regular gages which display only what they are made for. You can keep a record on a SD card, of what you have the unit set to display.Then view it on your computer. The SD card will hold about 6 months worth. It will even keep track of 0 to 60 times, 1/4 mile ET and MPH. The DASH DAQ is made for for all trucks and cars. Check it out.
Lynwood