Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Scared of buying any brand-new or used

I was wondering if anyone has anyone has any inside scoop as to what the SAFEST brand GM/Ford/Dodge. What with Chrysler bankruptcy, GM's near collapse and Ford staying kind of undercover right now.

Even buying a used GM - for instance - many GM dealerships being closed means a lack of service shops. Chrysler - same thing. Haven't heard anything about Ford going through any dealership attrition, but I can't believe they won't follow Chrysler/GM in some form or fashion in shutting down some of their dealerships (ie repair shops).

So is just a "crap shoot" right now? Or is there one or another to stay clear of right now...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Find an independent free lancing mechanic??

There will be dealers, but, it looks like you might have to drive (or be towed) further to visit their repair facility.

Ford, by the way, started all this downsizing stuff long ago, note, they have not gone to Uncle for $$, yet. And, last time we checked, their stock prices were going UP UP and AWAY. (yes, we are grinning, and sighing relief, yea, we have a hunk of that stock)

The automotive industry is taking it on the chin big time, and the auto world as we knew it probably will never return, but, there will be people to fix your truck. I mean, with almost 2,000 dealerships tanking, each having at least a mechanic or two, there are gonna be people out there wanting to fix your truck, eh??

Dave, I don't think Ford is staying undercover, there has been a lot of press and jabber from them. But, we are closer to the source down here in SE Michigan.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If I was buying a truck I would not hesitate for a moment to purchase the biggest Dodge, diesel dually I could find. There are going to be some great buys out there abd there will always be a place for parts and service.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The pols promise to back the new-vehicle warranties if GM and Chryco survive with our tax $$,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$, but what about the warranties on existing vehicles? Besides present owners, his would apply to buying a used TV.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, even though there are some closings of dealerships, there are dealerships that remain in business and I don't know how. We took our truck into the Ford dealer in Victorville, CA to have a brake job done on a Thursday at a cost of $600. When I drove out with the truck I didn't like the way that the brakes reacted. I took it back on Monday and it cost me another $1087. Drove 1,000 miles and the brakes gave out in Amarillo, TX.

The Victorville Ford dealer refuses to admit they did anything wrong. I called Ford Motor Company Customer Service and they took down all the information and said they would be the mediator. Hope to get something back.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I thought it important since we have to know that just because someone is still in business doesn't mean we will get good service. Maybe the "freelance mechanic" is the best way to go.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think you are right, Orv. I believe we will be seeing a lot of backyard mechanics hanging out their own shingle. What other choice would they have?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am not a Dodge or GM person. But if I was, I don't think I would be afraid to buy one now. I don't think either will cease to exist any time soon. And you can probably get a very good deal since the dealers have to get rid of their inventory.
On thing that was mentioned in the paper though, is that an extended warranty purchased thru a dealer may not be any good after they close.
As mentioned, you may have to travel farther for warranty service. The Dodge dealer in our town is on the closing list. Not sure where the next closest one is.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, I've owned GM products the last 30 years, but I'm afraid it will come to an end. Regardless of how they do financially, if they take all the stimulus money, then move a lot of their operations to Mexico, it's adios from me. Since Chrysler is already in bankruptcy, you couldn't melt me and pour me on a Dodge. Guess that leaves Ford. If we keep up the RV lifestyle, a new (or lightly used) Ford dually will be in our future in the next couple years. (no more drive thru at the bank)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think even if Chrysler went belly up, there are parts of their business that will survive. I believe their truck division will do well, same as GM's truck division. Those are hugely profitable divisions same as Ford.

For example, the Jeep division will do well if they get rid of half of their models (what was up with that stupid use of resources) and then they'll be able to improve quality and get back on track.

As for service, as SOON as the warranty is up, I DO NOT go to the dealer for ANYTHING unless I have to. At least where I live, there are many, less expensive, reputable, private service companies who do a better job. Do you realize that most of those mechanics come from the dealers and leave when they get experience to get away from the dealers who want to pay for cheap labor for their expensive services provided by inexperienced workers? This information comes from some friends who told me this. They have the dealer pay for their mechanic's training, get some experience then bail to work for a better paying company and take their experience with them.

You'll find that most dealers that were closed only handled one division of the big three. For example, if you only sold Dodge, then it's goodbye. But if you sold Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep then they are still around. The sadness is that there was a time that the big three concentrated on keeping competitions in between their own divisions, until they found they had to bundle together when the imports started to eat away at their sales. You might find the smaller player dealer with the smaller service bay going bye-bye isn't going to affect what most of us are going to experience when using a dealer for service - we'll still have the opportunity to complain about their shoddy service on their shoddy products. While we are reading that dealers are being closed down, numerically there will be lots of them still out there, for now. BTW, did anyone else read that Toyota is reducing workforce due to these same economic conditions? It's not just a big three problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This feels a lot like last August trying to predict the meltdown of the economy. We all knew something bad was happening, it's just very difficult to see one year into the future. We can only take the information that we currently have, then try to extrapolate that forward 12 months. Just like the "experts" did last fall (very poorly) trying to predict the housing and banking/Wall Street meltdowns. Some missed the mark so far with their predictions it was unbelievable - many are now unemployed.

Very difficult to determine what the tow vehicle market is going to look like in the summer of 2010 and beyond...
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dave, you asked a good question. I was looking to get a new truck this fall now I am am going to wait a little before pulling the trigger. I Think it is a flip of the coin with any of them. Come the end of the year Ford will be out of money and holding there hand out.I looked a little at Ford,GM and Dodge but did not see anything that I thought was a real deal that I thought you would see in times like this.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I have been planning on buying a new truck but I think I will just sit on the old one for another year or two. If I am going to be stuck with something that is out of production I prefer it to be an old truck rather than a pricy new one.

I wish Honda or Toyota would make a real 3/4 ton truck.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the new regulations being proposed and implemented it looks like the days of the big tow vehicle and big camper are over. I would look for penalties for those who have them. By 2016 it will be over.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Since the TV's are used for business purposes, more than for RV'ing, I expect that they will either be exempt (along with other trucks), or they'll get more fuel-efficient engines.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I just bought a new 2008 Dodge 5500 with a Chariot hauler bed. Got a real good deal. Now is a good time to buy, prices are down, plus big trucks are going get hard to find. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hmmmmm, this thread has gotten me to pondering, we have a 2007 3500 crew-cab dually with the pre-pollution controls engine. I have had the truck for two years and a little over three months. When I bought the truck, I figured it should be good for 200-250,00 miles (at least). Last time I checked the odometer, it showed a little under 17,000 miles. If I keep up the torrid pace (the truck is only used for towing Montana and occasionally the other toy) I figure that I should be new vehicle shopping in about.............twenty three and a half years. I hope that the automaker situation is resolved by then!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good thinking Bingo! Our 2007 has close the 19000 miles, so I guess we are good for another 20 years or so!!!
Yea, right, I can just see me driving around in a 22 year old truck, pulling the monty, when I am 77 years of age.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Good thinking Bingo! Our 2007 has close the 19000 miles, so I guess we are good for another 20 years or so!!!
Yea, right, I can just see me driving around in a 22 year old truck, pulling the monty, when I am 77 years of age.
I'm driving around in a 14-year old truck, pulling our Montana, and I'm 77 years of age! So I guess the trend has started.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
See, I knew I was on to something with this plan!!! Thanks for the reinforcement Orv!! by the way, I will only be the young age of 72 pulling around a twenty-three year old Monty with a twenty-three year old truck!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Well Orv, now I feel inspired, about the 77 years of age part, buuuut driving a 22 year old vehicle??? I sincerely hope when your truck is 22 and you are the young age of 85 that you will still be doing what you are doing!!! KEEP US POSTED!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote